PDA

View Full Version : Can you explain you agrophobia?

Lawton86
24-04-09, 15:55
Hey guys.
after to suffering from 4 weeks of anxiety/panick attacks and de-realization i felt i was starting to get agrophobia to. So now everyday for the last 5 days ive been going on walks and extending it. just came back from a 15 min walk round my village.

Thing i still dont know if im agrophobic and thought if you guys could tell me your symptoms when you get outside it would help me decide if i am or not. Because im suffering with de-realization i cant tell if its that or not. It feels really unpleaseant when im walking and i do get panicy but its all because the world feels so disorientated and not straight edged anymore .I find it hard to go out because i feel so dissorientated and dizzy and like everythings so surreal? but im not scared to go out, i actually in a weird way look forward to it and seeing how much further i can get everyday.

im just soo confused at the moment tho :(

Lawton86
24-04-09, 19:19
Hey guys any help with this would be great!

Just went out to see a new house that me and my bro have got ( we move in in 6 weeks) and its only a 20 min drive, when i got their i felt like i couldnt breathe and the whole world seemed sooo surreal.....like i was as light as a feather....i didnt even get out the car?

i know i suffer de-realization but is this normal to happen so bad?

i feel like i have somthing serously wrong and that i will never be right somtimes :(. Luckily i stopped it from going into a full blown panic attack.....but its sooo horrible when u feel like ur just gunna pass out and thats it, and nothing looks real.

nomorepanic
24-04-09, 19:48
Have a hunt around for other threads - read this and it will help...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47712

bottleblond
24-04-09, 19:49
Hi Lawton

I am agoraphobic. I am ok outside as long as it isn't far from my house.
If i were to venture outside of my 'comfort zone', my breathing would become very erratic, my heart would beat fit to burst, i would be shaking like a leaf and just have this overwhelming notion to run like the wind back home.

Because we know how we will feel in these situatons, we become phobic and start to avoid it, which is where the agoraphobia comes in.

Everyone is different though.
Some people can't leave a particular room in their house.
Some people can't leave their home at all.
Some people can go out but only with a loved one.
Some people can only go certain distances.

So it really does very with each individual.

Hope things improve for you soon!

Lisa
x

Lawton86
24-04-09, 20:37
Hey Nicola

i did the search thing you suggested but found no real answers are to what the symptoms im feeling are very normal to someone who is starting (and trying to overcome straight away) agrophobia.

I just need re-assurance that what im feeling is normal, then i can go out their and hit this problem head on. but if i do have somthing wrong with me and these arnt the symptoms of agrophobia then i may well just be making a situation even worse.

bottleblond
25-04-09, 18:23
Hi Lawton

It sounds to me very much symptoms of anxiety as i can relate to everything you are feeling.

The best way to tackle it, unfortunately is NOT to stop going out and not to avoid situations that make you feel particularly anxious. When we start to avoid the situations that make anxious, we can very quickly become 'Phobic' about them.

I know it's difficult but please try to keep your life as normal as possible.

xxxxx

bobobob
25-04-09, 20:18
You are very brave. It must take a lot of courage to walk out that door.
I don't suffer with agrophobia, but just wanted to give you support and send you a hug. Bob

Dizzy-Dave
25-04-09, 21:40
de-realization can be caused by inner ear problems.

Does the room spin when your indoors ?

Check with your doctor.

Lawton86
26-04-09, 12:52
The room doesnt spin, but i always feel really spaced out inside the house and outside the house. like everythings floaty and wobbly and not really their. it feels like im constantly living in a world made out of jelly, if that makes sens to anyone. I know wat things are and still have all my common sense and its not like i stumble, or wobble myself. when i do go to pick somthing up to its not like i miss. just like a consant woozy feeling and lightheadedness.

still sound like it could be an inner ear problem. thing that doesnt make me think it is, is that ive had this feeling from the very second my first panic attack hit me, which is now 4 weeks ago.

Dizzy-Dave
26-04-09, 14:19
My whole situation started with a panic attack and then wobbly vision, dizzyness and constant tirdness.

There's so many things to consider but for now, eliminate the possibility by booking an appointment with the doc :)

Lawton86
26-04-09, 14:51
hey dizzy dave.

Did your wobbly vision start instantly with the panic attack?

and how do u feel? and do u have an inner ear problem

mysonmarcus
26-04-09, 17:59
Hi Lawton

These are classic anxiety syptoms that can lead to agoraphobia, read or re-read the first steps on the home page here and really take it in.......... While some may advise to motor on through, doing so unless you use the correct approach aggravates the situation.

Yes facing fears is important but facing fears whilst an individual is in the uppers levels of an anxious state makes it more unbearable.

I know from painful and long personal experience that the 'facing' (that is totally needed) is best attempted when anxiety levels are below the mid level....I know you are above this level presently by your words 'if there is something seriously wrong'.

There are 2 prior steps necessary before 'facing' is truly benefitial.

Facing should come as a positive urge from within and not an obligation of living and as an act of trying to find wellness.

My very best wishes.

Mark

Dizzy-Dave
27-04-09, 22:26
hey dizzy dave.

Did your wobbly vision start instantly with the panic attack?

and how do u feel? and do u have an inner ear problem

I had panic attack in Ibiza, came home and was ok for afew weeks. Dizzyness built, then panic attack in car, then blurred vision.

I am certain i have problem with right ear as i have ringing and aches.

My right eye is also not right. Left eye seems fine.

Lawton86
27-04-09, 22:54
hey dizzy dave

funny u should say that. my left ear feels blocked...and rings sometimes through out the day. i dont have any ache with it tho. but my vision in my left eye seems foggy compared to my right eye too.

doctors checked my ears and said right one was fine but their is too much wax (sorry guys yak!) in the left one to see properly but it shud be ok. by the way the wax is deep in my ear, i dont have really bad waxy ears on show.lol.

Also i went to opticians 2 weeks ago and they said everything was ok. so im really stuck. Like u say my right eye seems fine but my left eye seems more blurry, like more foggy if u get me.

I know bright lights seem really weird to me and i much prefer to be in a darker room.

Dizzy-Dave
28-04-09, 10:13
Are you out and about lots ?

claire m
30-04-09, 18:03
hi i suffered for quite some time from agorophobia and at one point i was room bound for weeks.
i have had periods where i have made a good recovery but then when things start to get stressful its easy for me to fall back into old habits.
fortunatley i can recognise it well and my husband can see it happening before i can.
i would like to say im completley recovered but i have been like this for years now it almost feels like i will always be like this:weep:.
At the moment im going through a tough time and even though im not housebound i feel physically sick at the thought of going out and when im out i have hot flushes, get ringing in my ears and just feel so uncomfortable it causes me to twitch my shoulder. (does anyone have that?):shrug:
I hve no choice to fight it as my husband works away from home alot and i have 2 kids. but aslong as i can fight i can win right?:yesyes:

Reggie
30-04-09, 21:02
I'm starting to get agoraphobia, I'm going away for the weekend with my sister who's visiting from overseas and I feel like I'm going to be executed - it's bonkers, it's a lovely weekend away yet I'm dreading it.

I'm going though, I've come to the conclusion I can faint, panic and damned well drop down dead but I'm going. I've had severe anxiety for several months, but I feel a bit better today, hence the bolshy attitude, yesterday I wasn't going for love nor money!!

Dizzy-Dave
01-05-09, 12:21
The most important thing for you to do Reggie is to keep going out.

Nip the silly thoughts in the bud nice and early :)