PDA

View Full Version : Long train journey, help?

hayley xo
24-04-09, 17:17
In the summer, I've decided I'd like to go and visit a friend and stay with her for a week, but there's a problem.
I suffer with anxiety/panic attacks/agoraphobia and the train journey is going to be 5 and a half hours, and I'll have to change trains twice.
I'm just terrified that I won't be able to cope, or that I'll panic and I'll be so far away from my 'safe place' and I'll be alone.

Wee-Mee
24-04-09, 17:43
Oh I can sympathise greatly with this

But here is a very good coping mechanism that I find is helpful.

Music. Do you have an ipod or mp3 player or anything that you could try and focus on?

My partner lived in Wishaw which is about 2 hours from me and I had to get a train and I still panic incase I get on or off the wrong train: I once got on a train taht was going to London!

But not hearing the trains noise and things by listening to music really eases me.

I'venearly passed out because I've being holding my breath I was that freaked.

Music and a magazine or something. And get there in plenty of time so you can get a feel for the train station etc.

One thing I have learned too is panicking cos the train is due like right there and then,

Good luck hun

xxxxxxxx

hayley xo
24-04-09, 17:48
Thank you :)
yeah I'm going to bring some music and something to read
I just get scared that I'll panic and want to get off the train but not be able to,
or I'll end up getting off at some random stop because of panicking

Wee-Mee
24-04-09, 18:33
Well they will have the signs and stuff though..just make sure at every stop the train does,peek at the name of the stop and you should be ok..but I agree train journeys are a bit of a struggle for me too. But I'm getting better and hopefully you will too :)

xxxxxxx

hayley xo
24-04-09, 22:32
thank you :)
yeah I hope so,
i'm going in a couple of months, so hopefully I can learn some relaxation techniques before it as well :)

mark48
24-04-09, 22:48
hiya hayley ive just flown to florida which was 9 hours and believe me i was ill days before flying but i managed it,take plenty of newspapers and your ipod and you will do it.we cant let this awful illness of ours stop us from enjoying life

hayley xo
24-04-09, 22:54
thank you :)
that's inspiring
I should be okay, I just start thinking about things too much, worrying what could go wrong
and automatically assuming that I'll panic

shotokansho
24-04-09, 23:45
Hey there! I am so with you here. My mum lives in West Sussex and i live in Stockport. For the first time i travelled to hers on the train which was a four and a half hour journey...THROUGH THE UNDERGROUND!!!! I was petrified, had PA's while trying to get through the tunnels and stuff. But to be honest i felt good afterwards cos i made it through with two kids and baggage...i felt proud. I'm sure you will be great, i had my boys to help me i'm sure you will find something...music and books even a portable dvd player if you have one to watch your fave movie.
Good luck, im sure you'll do great and you will feel really proud when you do...big hugs xxxx

hayley xo
26-04-09, 16:50
thank youuu so much :)

Cat80
26-04-09, 17:30
I'm nervous myself about a train journey I have in the summer. I'm off to see Take That in concert and have a 1 1/2 hour train ride, not really long I know but I struggle with 10 minutes on a bus. I'm going to make sure I've eaten something before I go so my blood sugar level is normal and won't drop to cause anxiety. Also taking my Ipod and some metoclopramide for the nausea I get with anxiety.

Also I'm going to take a few magazines to read while on the train and some rescue remedy pastilles to suck on if I feel anxious.

I'm sure you'll be fine Hayley, if you feel anxious gte on your mobile and chat to someone until you feel calmer.

mysonmarcus
26-04-09, 17:39
Hi Hayley

You may be very well by the time the summer comes round, anxiety does get better with the right approach!

very best wishes.

Mark

lizzie29
26-04-09, 20:18
Hi

I'm EXACTLY the same. Recently I had to travel from my sister's house to my other sister's house by train, and it was down in the south of England where I don't really know anywhere. I had to change trains and what I found helped was rather than thinking "It's 5 and a half hours" I broke it down into different chunks. So, say until your first change it's 2 hours. Just focus on that. Then the next but may be 1 hour, so again focus on that bit. It seems more manageable, and also, I broke each smaller section down so if it was 2 hours, I'd focus on getting through the first hour as then I knew it was the same time again, so all downhill. Hope that makes sense!
And I recommend the same as everyone else - music, things to read, etc. I also made sure I had a bottle of water, and also some notes on panic attacks and how to deal with them, so I could read in case of emergency!!!
Well done to you though, I know I personally would probably avoid the situation so I think it's great that you're still trying to live your life and battle the anxiety and panic :) Good luck!

hayley xo
23-07-09, 09:07
thank you everyone :)
sorry i've not replied in so long
got the journey tomorrow, wish me luck!

rocklover
23-07-09, 12:30
Good luck. I went on a 3 1/2 hour train journey from Oxfordshire to Devon a few weeks ago to see my boyfriend. I was fine on the first train, which was less than an hour, but typically managed to have a full blown panic attack just before getting on the second train which was a 2 1/2 hour journey.

I too panicked about not being able to get off and jumping off at some scary random station, however, as much as I didn't think I could get on that train, i did it, even having a PA. I didn't throw up, have a heart attack, faint or die and was very proud of myself for doing it.

I am not saying you will have a PA, but even in your worst case scenario, you will have the strength to do it, I promise you. If I can do it, anyone can. Much, much luck to you and have a wonderful time.

Gregor
24-07-09, 01:18
Hi Hayley,

I realise you may not read this anyway if you're on your way today, but i thought i would give my tuppence worth anyway!

I completely understand the train thing as well. I guess, as with many other sufferers, we all fear being confined and not being able to get off in a panic situation.

Just over a month ago i went on a train journey for the first time in about 7 years. I wasnt too worried about the confined thing, because i had just come back on an 18 hour flight from Peru! The major key is just to accept you're in a situation which you can't get out of (when you're on the train), you can't fight it, so just sit there, relax and enjoy - i never thought i would enjoy train travel so much! (having spent so much time travelling the country years ago).

The main concern for me was the getting on an off the train. The thought of knowing i absolutely HAD to get on at that moment when the train arrived - then again when getting off. Those were my feared moments. I managed to do it and was proud of myself afterwards, but when i think about doing another journey, my heart tenses up again.

Anyway, i hope your journey goes/went well.

Gregor

PhilipR
24-07-09, 04:34
Good luck Hayley!

A few years back, when I wasn't agoraphobic, though I still suffered with anxiety disorder - I did an OU course - second level music - The summer school was in Durham and I even bought a ticket - and made friends with another student who was travelling up from Wales.

When the day came I couldn't face the train journey and ended up dropping out of the course, becuase I became sooo depressed. I was averaging 93 in my TMAS.

Trains are horrible because you can't get off if you feel panicky - and that just boxes you in - which makes panic worse. I was actually worried it would trigger agoraphobia then, because I had beaten it once.

All I can suggest, in addition to the excellent suggestions already offered, is that you get yourself one of those Nintendo Lites - loads of games available - from Scrabble to Tomb Raider. Medication may help also.

Really hope you make it.

:hugs: