PDA

View Full Version : Peri menopausal dysfunctional bleeding - one for ladies of a certain age!

countrygirl
24-04-09, 18:31
:mad: I am 47 yrs old and have been peri menopausal for past 3 years and its been fun:mad: not. I suddenly started to miss periods and then would get up to 6 weeks with spotting then horrendous periods. Of course I panicked like mad and begged my GP to send me to gyny. This was 18 months ago and the gyny becasue of my health anxiety arranged for me to have ultrasound, D&C under anaethetic and hysterosopy and biopsy and I even had the ovarian cancer blood test as well. Everything normal and told it was hormone imbalance and all that was on offer was the mirena coil or hysterectomy or put up with it. I decided to put up with it. I then had 6 months of perfectly normal periods:D but past 8 months have been back to the up to 4 months period free then the endless slight bleeding. I am into week 3 of slight bleeding- some day nothing - other occasional spoting - other pink discharge but no proper period.
I had an pelvic and abdominal ultrasound just a month before this started again and told all was normal so GP has said its just my age and nothing to worry about:lac: . Yeh of course I won't worry.
Menopausal dysfunctional bleeding and health anxiety combined is the pits:mad:

Wondered if anyone else on here is at my funny age???

I am hanging out for another 2 weeks at least before I go back to my GP.

kate
24-04-09, 21:00
Yes there are a few of us here of a certain age :D

I'm 46 and I've been having periods every 24 days now for over a year. Lovely and heavy with stomach cramps thrown in for good measure.

Perfectly normal it may be but it makes you feel like poo :mad:

Kate

suzy-sue
24-04-09, 21:11
Me too! mine were so heavy i couldnt go out .,andthe cramp "s were horrendous.Had all the tests as they thought i had fibroids.But thankfully i didnt,and i had a Mirena coil fitted.:yesyes: Put a stop to it all.Would definately recommend this to anyone. Sue

Jan63
24-04-09, 21:11
Yes my periods are all over the place too. Had one in August then next one was October and then February, I was convinced there was something wrong.:huh: Now they have gone back to 27/28 days again but my breasts keep getting really sore and hard and I am back to worrying about lumps again.:doh:
God I hate being a woman sometimes.:unsure:

countrygirl
24-04-09, 21:13
Thanks everyone nice to know I am not in this alone!

I know the mirena coil can work wonders but have known some people who got awful side effects and up to now I seem to have maybe 6 months of wonkyness then everything settles down for a bit so have put it off.

I wish I could have a virtual hysterectomy:D that wold solve all problems.

Vanilla Sky
24-04-09, 21:39
You should have got the mirena coil, it changed my life completely. I had endometriosis and a month after i had it fitted, i had no more heavy bleeds and now dont get periods at all. I will have another one fitted next year, my doctor said it can take you right through the menopause and this is what i will be doing. I have been having hot flushes and night sweats for a while now. doc says that could go on for some years yet , i can put up with that but i wont put up with heavy bleeding so why do that if you dont have to . Get it fitted when you go back to your GP , trust me it's a god send Paige x

ElizabethJane
24-04-09, 22:58
I'm forty seven and my story is a bit different from yours. I had two mirena coils fitted. The first one was great although I always 'spotted'. I had always had horrendous heavy painful periods. The second one ceased to work after a while and the pain and heavy bleeding returned. I went back for a third coil but unfortunately I had all the pain and nausea but not much else. I went to see a gynacologist as my pain relief options were limited as I am on lithium and allergic to codeine. I had a hysterectomy and yes it is major surgery but it was the right choice for me. I had adenomyosis, fibroids and adhesions making vaginal surgery impossible so I had abdominal surgery. I still kept my ovaries so I'm waiting for the menopausal symptoms to kick in. So far no sign at the moment. My ovaries still seem to be functioning at the moment.