PDA

View Full Version : CA 125 Blood test...worried and confused

Hollytree
24-04-09, 21:56
I recently had the blood test CA 125 I believe this is to help detect ovarian cancer, mine came back normal.

Does this mean I haven't got it?

Worried and confused :weep::weep:

nomorepanic
24-04-09, 21:57
Umm never heard of it sorry but surely if it was normal then you don't have it.

What did the doc say?

Hollytree
24-04-09, 22:01
Hi there, thanks,

The test is a protein marker, used to detect Ovarian Cancer. He didn't say anything, just that it was normal!! he didn't go into any detail.

Doesn't help when you suffer from HA and need things to be explained, hence why i feel a little 'out of it' :(

Wee-Mee
24-04-09, 22:21
Awwww :hugs:

There is nothing worse than vague doctors when you are so antsy.

BUT..he said it was normal..so if it was normal then you should be alright sweety.

Have you had an ultrasound or any other tests?

Why did you get that done anyways?

xxxxxxxxx

nomorepanic
24-04-09, 22:26
Ok normal means you don't have any problems then.

countrygirl
24-04-09, 22:31
If it was normal then it is extremely unlikely that you have ovarian cancer - the only reason they don't use this blood test as for general screening is that other things beside ovarian cancer can give a high reading which of course has to be investigated so you would get alot of false positives but its almost unheard of for someone to have a normal reading and have ovarian cancer so you can be very reassured.

Hollytree
24-04-09, 22:34
Thanks for your reply's, its so hard NOT to worry when I've had years of practice, even when i am told everything is 'normal' it takes time to sink in that maybe i am ok!!!!

The tests were done because I had various bodily aches and pains, so the doctor suggested to do blood tests for pretty much everything! I am ashamed to say they all came back normal, but here i am worrying still!!

I must be crazy :(

lauren6
24-04-09, 22:46
Holly, the test is primarily used for people who already have ovarian cancer to see if it's progressing or staying stable. It measures levels. In the U.S., the American Cancer Society states that it is not recommended for early detection of ovarian cancer. What is often done instead is a transvaginal sonogram. I had one. This can see things far better than the CA125. I had some bloating so the dr. did the sonogram and said he saw nothing so there was no need for the CA125.

I assume your dr. did a pelvic exam as well and if he saw no need for further testing, don't worry. You asked a question and I would be wrong to not tell you the truth...a negative result does not mean that you don't have cancer and you would find this out on any website. It's a useful tool but it is not definitive. BUT, that does not mean you should worry now! At some point, we have to have faith in our doctor's judgement.

Hollytree
24-04-09, 22:51
Hi lauren, no my doctor hasn't done a pelvic exam!!!! said there was no need for one as the blood test was normal. I have bloating, i think mainly from IBS, i get that alot. Had loads of other blood tests to (ESR, CRP, FBC, Urea and Electrolytes) all was fine.

Thank u for your response but I have to say i am worried and confused even more now : (

lauren6
24-04-09, 23:25
Holly, there is no need to be confused. If it's any help to you, I worked in the gyn field for 20 years and it is a GOOD sign that your test was negative. the docs just don't use it as the be all and end all. I certainly don't want to scare you but we as women have to be informed with facts, not just glossing over things when we have to take our care into our hands.

My point is that we are also not doctors and if he said there is no need for further testing...he saw you, I didn't. He is a doctor, we're not. There are things they look for that you obviously are not displaying, otherwise he would have had you have a sonogram.

Having health anxiety myself, I have asked for tests that were probably unnecessary just to ease my mind. Some doctors get ticked off, some doctors comply. And unfortunately, some doctors can be negligent and the patient has to be their own advocate. At some point we have to accept their decisions as valid. I don't know your age and what reasons you are leaning toward thinking you have this type of cancer but it is so improbable. Is there a way you can out it out of your mind? I was not 99%, but 100% sure that I had ovarian cancer, bladder cancer, you name it. I have none of them. If it weren't for the fact that I used to work with my current gyn dr., he probably would have thrown me out of the office with my irrational fear of ovarian cancer (which had no basis but just my head conjuring it up) but to shut me up, he did the sonogram. I don't suggest anyone be like me...it's just too crazy to keep doubting these drs. Please don't worry....celebrate your result and try to put it out of your head.

Hollytree
24-04-09, 23:37
Hey thanks Lauren, sorry for being so panicky, I get things stuck in my head and freak out : ( I'm 33 years old, been on the contraceptive pill for 8 years or so, never had problems with it at all. Have regular smear tests too, all OK there. No family history of breast/ovarian cancer.

I think what triggered this off, was the fact that I get bloating, that i've had on/off for ages, down to IBS mainly, doctor told me this, also I kinda have a lack of appetite, I'm eating just don't seem to fancy anything particular, that's been going on for 4-5 days. So i put 2 and 2 together and make 5!! my doctor said he tested for the CA 125 marker and i knew that was for ovarian cancer, i kinda freaked out!! despite it being normal.
I'm told not to worry about my eating as it will settle down in a few weeks, nothing drastic has happened but i'm just getting obsessed with it all.

I'm constantly thinking when will i feel better again, I end up driving myself mad, the one thing the doctor said not to do, and i shouldn't be worried.

Sorry for being such a drama queen : S but thanks for your response xxxx

countrygirl
25-04-09, 12:15
i agree with Lauren that although i said a negative ca125 result means its hightly unlikely that you have ovarian cancer I could not say it was impossible but its not something you need to worry about honest.

I have had experience of my cousin who had ovarian cancer and what usually happens as lauren says is that a pelvicl ultrasound shows up something suspicious and then as part of tests they do they do the ca125.

My cousin had early ovarian cancer and she had a host of serious symptoms that made her Dr send her for a basic pelvic ultrasound which showed up serious problems. I really don't want to go into details because this will just feak someone out.