PDA

View Full Version : Attention all who have beaten Agoraphobia

Dizzy-Dave
25-04-09, 21:32
Ok so it's been about 3 weeks since i made the first move in beating my agoraphobia.

I'd like to ask anyone who has beaten agoraphobia (or as close to it as your situation allows) about what happened to you during the process.

I know some people take a long time to overcome it but from what you can remember, what happened when you got back from going out ? Did anything random happen to your life inside ?

I'm finding i get hit by extreme tirdness even if i dont panic.

I find if i go out on one day (say the supermarket) then the next day i will feel like crap.

Is this my head readjusting ?

I spent 7 months in my bedroom pratically. Do you think i became a vampire lol ?

Also, I believe i am now right bang smack in the middle between being agoraphobic and freedom.

It feels...quite strange !

I've started to get thoughts about going out to the town centre etc and i no longer feel trapped but i just feel so tired 24/7 as i beat this.

Did any of that make sense lol I'm half asleep now!

PoppyC
26-04-09, 00:22
Hi Dave! :)
I posted 2 messages today about how I am tackling agoraphobia - today I have been out for hours on my own and into a busy town centre. I forced myself to because I cannot face the thought of my life being spent mostly indoors.
I am determined not to let agoraphobia beat me no matter how awful it feels when I go out. I really enjoyed today being out and about buying clothes and make up and other things and not having to order them off the net!
I get exhausted when I get back from being out and I think that is because I get so stressed and go through all the emotions that it takes it out of me. However its worth it. I guess thats why you get tired too - its probably due to all the stress and adrenaline.
I hope you manage to beat agoraphobia - You are so young & obviously talented and life is far too precious and short to be spent living it in a bedroom and in the house.

Dizzy-Dave
26-04-09, 10:28
today I have been out for hours on my own and into a busy town centre

Aha ! Now this is what i like to hear :D

Well done Poppy !!!!

This is what I needed to read as I feel i could go back to the hospital and be ok, go to shops, no problem, but goto town centre ? No no no !

Town is where life begins again. Shops, people, atmosphere, a place to meet friends. But I just can push myself to go.

I'll probally be ok when i get there (should go with someone i feel) but yea...

So it was okish when you got into town ?

Dizzy-Dave
26-04-09, 10:31
Tetley, you are so right.

Yesterday morning i was tired and anxious from the day before.
Instead of having a quiet day in to recharge my 'going outside' batterys, I went out AGAIN to the shop and continued with the rest of my day.

I woke up this morning having had the best nights sleep in months.

It's all coming together slowly and it's now become exciting :)

bobobob
26-04-09, 11:28
You should be so proud of yourself. Well done. I dn't suffer from agrophobia but greaty admire you for the way you are combating it. I can only send you words of support. Good on you. Bob

sunshine-lady
26-04-09, 12:48
Well done Dave and Poppy, you both are doing really, really well. Be very proud of what you have achieved, it is a very difficult to face up to your fears and beat them.

I am also agoraphobic and have been for many years (house bound for over 18months). Even though I can go out with my hubby, I could not go out at all alone. I now have my support worker come to my home each week for 2 hours and we have worked a plan to help me overcome my fears. I started on week one with basically opening my back door and taking one step outside. I did this each day independently for a week. I am now on week 6 and can now almost go to the end of my small back garden alone. I know that this is tackling the problem using baby steps, but 6 weeks ago I couldn't imagine going into my garden alone, so this is working well for me. I know that this is going to take time, but I don't expect to be recovered over night after being agoraphobic for so long. My goals over the next few weeks are to be able to hang washing out and put rubbish in the bin, after that who knows :smile:

Take care xxx

Dizzy-Dave
26-04-09, 14:17
I wish you lots of happy, relaxing thoughts Sunshine :)

It's by reading comments like yours that I realise that i'm going out alone to the shop every day now and you are at a much bigger disadvantage than me.

Another question,

Should I lay off sugar ?

I put loads on my cereal and i get cravings for it.

Does it bring on panic ?!?

PoppyC
26-04-09, 19:11
Hi Dave!
Thanks for your post. You asked me how I was after I was in town.
I felt really good, full of life, and wanting to stay out more, which I did, and then later was exhausted. I slept really well too last night.
There were a couple of moments in the town when I felt overwhelmed due to all the crowds but I took myself off into the quieter shops, a bookshop being one of them, and calmed myself down. I found myself thinking OMG! All these people...I cant cope...but I floated through it, something I read about in one of Claire Weekes books and I did it!
Today I went out again most of the day, doing different things and also shopping - ok I was with someone - but a lot of the time I went off and did my own thing and met up with them later.
I have had a really good weekend and I feel so energised. I have done so many things that I wanted to and bought many things that usually I bought online.
As a treat to myself for getting through the weekend, I have booked a hair appointment including an indian head massage later in the week. I have to travel there on my own by public transport and back again.
You are doing well, Dave, and I am sure you will eventually be able to get back into going into a busy town centre. If I can do it then you will be able to! I dont think I am ever going to find being in such busy places comfortable but I know I can do it regardless.I am trying to work with and around my issues rather than give into them.
I hope you manage to keep continuing to do well, I am sure you will! :yesyes:

Dizzy-Dave
27-04-09, 11:31
Oh no's ! My stomach feels like crap after a night on the wine haha.

Well anyway i didnt panic when i was drunk last night so thats a good thing.

uuuuugh

PoppyC
27-04-09, 11:56
Hi Dave!
Sorry to hear about the effects on your stomach from last nights wine drinking. I can just about remember how that used to feel - I used to love wine before good old anxiety ruined it for me :lac: Glad you didnt panic though when drinking!

I looked at the link to your agoraphobia project. I love that video you did on You Tube - who sings "Its all in my head" ?
I have not joined You Tube yet. I still am wary of it - I would feel too exposed :wacko: I was going to post my pic on this site, but couldnt bring myself to do it!