PDA

View Full Version : Train to Europe- how to cope?

Graz
25-04-09, 22:50
Hi guys,

My friend is asking me to visit him in Belgium- which I've been putting off for a long time. I'm anxious enough about visiting another country where hardly anyone speaks English, but he does (so would translate for me!!)

But my worst fear is the travel. I have to take a train to London first, then the Eurostar (I can't go on a plane) to Brussels, followed by another 2 hour train to my friend's town. How can I cope?? Short journeys are sometimes pretty bad for me!

Is there anything like a sedative I can try, or just something to calm me down. Travelling in an unknown place on a unknown train is terrifying, but I can't let my friend down as he's been here twice. Thanks!!

Anxious_gal
25-04-09, 23:02
do you have to go alone?
a sedative would make you sleepy, it will calm your body but not the fear inside your mind. but in general it would help just to take the edge off

Graz
26-04-09, 10:50
Yep, I have to go alone unfourtunately, thanks for the reply...are there any sedatives I can buy from a pharmacy or do you have to go to the doctor? I got extremely worried last night about it :(

bobobob
26-04-09, 11:18
I think you are very brave to take on this journey. Keep that thought. Its a huge ammount to take on in one day. You should be proud of yourself for considering such a thing. Try breaking the journey up into little pieces so you can say to yourself "That bit wasn't so bad, I can cope with the next bit now". I think a trip to your dr. is in order. There you should be able to get the best advice. I wish you all the best, cos you deserve it. Bob

alihud
26-04-09, 12:17
Wow thats some journey,have u tried rescue remedy,i find that helps me when i get worked up.Do you really have to go and see him right now,is it worth all the stress or would it be a challenege for you and would help you to feel better?If u got too sleepy from sedatives u might miss your train,have you ever tried meditation?Just some ideas Graz.
Ali

amandaj
26-04-09, 13:19
you could try kalms there herbal maybe will take edge off it for you

t0rt01se36
26-04-09, 13:36
Do you get travel sick? Just wondering if it would be easier for you to go by ferry?

Graz
26-04-09, 18:34
Wow, thanks everyone!
bobobob: Thank you for your words :) The trip is in 3 stages, and annoyingly gets worse: Trip to London is OK, then the Eurostar isn't great, and the last journey (As I have no idea where I am) is the worst bit! But never mind, I might have to use the GPS on my phone so I know where I am- that might help!! :)

ali: I've never tried rescue remedy but I've heard some stories about it making anx worse which has put me off trying, but I'll try to give it a go before :) And I know there is a chance I may miss it, but I'll leave lots of space in between getting the next one- just in case! I honestly think feeling sleepy and relaxed is probably the best way to go. Unfortunately I can't change the time because that is my 1 week break between switching jobs- seems like the perfect time :D Thanks for the advice!!

amanda: I'll give them a try, thanks!

ju.ann_30: I only feel sick when travelling because it's the anxiety kicking in. I'm almost certain it's not "normal" travel sickness because the normal remedies don't work for me! I could try ferry but I would still need to get to my friend's town...

Thanks everyone :hugs:

lizzie29
26-04-09, 20:22
Just wanted to say, at the moment I couldn't even contemplate doing something like that, so well done to you!