PDA

View Full Version : swine flu

danj
26-04-09, 11:31
am I the only one freaking out about this?

The news makes it sound inevitable that a pandemic is on the way!

Dan

angietomjimandcass
26-04-09, 11:34
but they said this about bird flu.

danj
26-04-09, 11:42
I don't think Bird flu went person to person, whereas the swine flu has now mutated so that humans are catching it off each other.

lauren6
26-04-09, 12:15
Has it hit the U.K.? It is right here where I live, 20 minutes by car in St.Francis School, 200 students are sick but none seriously and not even one hospitalized. Honestly, I am not freaked out but plan to not get close to anyone on the train (which I rarely use anyway) and to wash my hands a LOT. And not shake hands with anyone (my health aways comes before politeness...I say "I have a cold" or something when someone looks weird or "he bites" when a weirdo wants to pet my dog).

I am curious, given the different countries that post here, if it has hit anywhere else besides the U.S. and Mexico. It is scary that so many Mexicans have died but apparently what we have here is not that serious or a different strain...they will know more soon. Don't freak out...just carry Purell and try to avoid close contact for now. I am not sure if it's airborne, have to research this.

MoodyBlue
26-04-09, 12:34
The media always make things sound far worse than they are! 81 people have died from this, not exactly a pandemic!!! I think we need to put this into perspective and only worry if the Health Protection Agency give us reason to!!!

Mudskipper
26-04-09, 12:36
According to the news, it may have reached New Zealand, but I guess it takes time to show and maybe further time for medics to decide if it's the same strain. Allowing for that, plus the fact that some are saying that Mexico didn't act fast enough to contain it, I guess it could turn up anywhere. Must admit it does freak me out quite a bit, specially after that Survivors series that the BBC showed last year. Fictional I know, but based on the potential for a flu pandemic:unsure:

sahara
26-04-09, 12:42
I am not to worried I must admit, but it puts me on edge when I here about it.

I guess I worry more for my daughter as she is only 2 rather than myself with things like this. Or my nextdoor neighbour who has a week old baby.

Trixie
26-04-09, 12:42
am I the only one freaking out about this?

The news makes it sound inevitable that a pandemic is on the way!

Dan

No, forget about it.

lauren6
26-04-09, 12:45
I just googled this, the CDC being the most reliable. It's spread among humans like any flu, someone coughing, sneezing on you or if you touch the virus and then touch your mouth or nose. Just be aware of this and keep your hands clean, carry wipes if you feel more comfortable doing this. Everything we touch has germs, really, ATM machines, elevator buttons, doorknobs, we just have to be more aware.

Mudskipper
26-04-09, 12:48
There's so many good things about this forum, but Trixie is definitely one of the best, an absolute tonic! Thanks:flowers:

kate
26-04-09, 12:53
Bugger all you can do about it anyway, so pointless worrying :D

Kate

mummyto4
26-04-09, 12:53
Don't worry about it too much. Thousands of people die in road traffic accidents every week, yet we dont stress and worry about that. Scaremongering by the press at its best.

amandaj
26-04-09, 13:13
what is swine flu never heard of it ,but got me worrying now as had a cold fluey symptoms for nearly 3 weeks now

mick_uk
26-04-09, 13:44
As long as you don't kiss a pig for a few weeks you should be fine :shades:

t0rt01se36
26-04-09, 13:47
Have the American's and New Zealander's caught Swine Flu because they have been to Mexico or is the Strain starting in numerous Countries?

I am definately worried.

suzy-sue
26-04-09, 14:08

:roflmao: :roflmao: Very funny Mick!

All you can do is keep taking the OINKMENT!!

lauren6
26-04-09, 14:20
ju.ann, in answer to your question, they are investigating if the boys from St.Francis Prep School went to Mexico on their spring break, maybe one of them, maybe a few. No answer yet but I listen to the news and will let you know. This should be easy enough to find out. Don't worry!! You know how to prevent it, if you're that worried, avoid closed, crowded spaces where people can cough on you and carry hand wipes and remember to not touch your face, mouth, nose while outside. This is something you can prevent to a degree, we have some control and it is NOT widespread right now. It's 20 minutes from my house and I'm not worried.

Trixie
26-04-09, 14:43
There's so many good things about this forum, but Trixie is definitely one of the best, an absolute tonic! Thanks:flowers:

That's very kind of you.:D But I am certain that there are a few members on this board who would not agree.:blush:

Don't worry about this flu please.:bighug1:

mummyto4
26-04-09, 14:56
LOL @ Mick and Suzy. very good!
x

london
26-04-09, 15:08
we get these scares every time the govnerment is in trouble
its to take out mind off the mess the uk is in
if you got it i give you a grand as i know you wont get it
stop worrying mate

amandaj
26-04-09, 15:11
will hold you to that colin lol

claire m
26-04-09, 15:12
scares me im a germ freak!

honeybee3939
26-04-09, 15:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_uk http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=491492#post491492)

:roflmao: :roflmao: Very funny Mick!

All you can do is keep taking the OINKMENT!!

That did make me laugh!!:roflmao: :roflmao:

No im not worried, like Kate said theres no point nothing you can do about it!

:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

kate
26-04-09, 15:44
If I remember correctly we were a. all going to die of Norovirus a few months ago and b. The world was going to end because some scientists were messing about with molecules :winks:

Kate

gtrgrl3369
26-04-09, 15:47
Try and remember that Mexico doesnt have the most reliable health care system. The flu is the flu no matter how you cut it. They offer the flu shot for those who need it andthe CDC said tamaflu is helping those who get it. Try and not stress this because it will lower your defenses.