PDA

View Full Version : Bitter & Dry Mouth

agent orange
26-04-09, 19:52
I posted a few days about this, but sadly no replies.
I have got a very dry mouth with saliva and a bitter almost burnt tasting mouth and I am very worried. Sometimes the taste is not too bad and my mouth feels a little better, but at times it is awful. I do have i.b.s and belche a lot and I do have a post nasal drip coming from the back of my throat (the throat feels a bit similiar too). My anxieties are worse because of it but I am not sure if it caused the other way. Also the doctor prescribed me beconaise spray for the catarrh and she said it was the post nasal drip that could be causing the tongue, but how can that make my tongue feel horrible? I have looked at my tongue and it looks normal.

Any ideas please..

p.s Not on any meds except those for I.B.S that I take occasionally when needed.

House fan
26-04-09, 20:13
Hi agent

Your doctor could be right, the drip could be causing the bitter taste. It's either that or it's acid coming from the stomach, it can be nothing else I promise.

Either way, it's absolutely nothing to worry about, try zantac for a few days, if the taste goes, you know for certain that it is acid. If not, it's got to be the drip. Don't go worrying that it could be something more sinister, because I can assure you it is not. My money is on the Drip!

Nothing serious at all.

House.

agent orange
26-04-09, 20:16
Thanks House, it is rather annoying and of course I don't like it and I feel panicy. I am getting quite a lot of catarrh coming down the back of my throat, but how it affects the tongue I have no idea why.

House fan
26-04-09, 20:19
The tongue is the start of your digestive tract agent, the tastebuds on the tongue pick up the bitterness, that is why you have the sensation in the mouth.

Stop worrying, you are going to be just fine, I promise.

House.

agent orange
27-04-09, 18:19
Hello. I have been to the doctor who said that they would do a blood test for thyroid, full blood count and latterly iron levels as this could account for the mouth symptoms. Of course I'm worried but there is nothing I can do so must just try not to worry. He did say that funny mouths were quite common symptoms and sometimes you could not always find the source of the problem. Oh well blood test on Thursday, fingers crossed.

Trish
27-04-09, 18:28
I posted a few days about this, but sadly no replies.
I have got a very dry mouth with saliva and a bitter almost burnt tasting mouth and I am very worried. Sometimes the taste is not too bad and my mouth feels a little better, but at times it is awful. I do have i.b.s and belche a lot and I do have a post nasal drip coming from the back of my throat (the throat feels a bit similiar too). My anxieties are worse because of it but I am not sure if it caused the other way. Also the doctor prescribed me beconaise spray for the catarrh and she said it was the post nasal drip that could be causing the tongue, but how can that make my tongue feel horrible? I have looked at my tongue and it looks normal.

Any ideas please..

p.s Not on any meds except those for I.B.S that I take occasionally when needed.

Hi

I use the same nasal spray and if you read the leaflet that comes with it, it states that you can get a strange taste and a smell after using it...i've had the nasty taste:ohmy:

Trish x

agent orange
27-04-09, 18:28
I had the taste before the nasal spray lol, but thanks.

bex1970
27-04-09, 22:36
bitter taste can also be a zinc deficiency - as well as in iron one...
Reflux def causes weird taste and burning bitter mouth. The mouth thing is definitely an anxiety symptom. I get it on and off.... horrid. Good luck with bloods, am sure you'll be ok...
x

agent orange
28-04-09, 17:34
Thanks for the advices etc.

agent orange
05-05-09, 15:54
I have had all the blood tests back and all is fine, obviously anxiety related etc.

agent orange
25-05-09, 14:23
I am still having problems, the mouth is now dryish too. I am also suffering from post nasal drip etc, Could all this be related to sinus, allergies etc? I feel a little anxiety with it. I am obviously letting it go, but whilst i have symptoms, it's very difficult to do so. Forgot to menion that my throat feels similiar too, so am wondering if it is that, phlegm etc.

agent orange
12-07-09, 15:54
I am still having this symptom, not sure if it is related to belching and acid or a post nasal drip or something else. The doctor does not seem bothered by it, it however does feel worse sometimes after tea/coffee. I do get a lot of pressure in my face around the eyes, ears and nose causing a sensation of not being in my head and whooshing. I think too it affects my balance, but when I went to ENT, there was nothing wrong, can all this makes sense? The doctor says that there is no further tests he will do, but the C.P.N is coming to see me. I do have a Somatoform disorder diagnosis which is probably linked, but then health anxiety people can get ill...

zebra
24-06-19, 07:15
I am still having this symptom, not sure if it is related to belching and acid or a post nasal drip or something else. The doctor does not seem bothered by it, it however does feel worse sometimes after tea/coffee. I do get a lot of pressure in my face around the eyes, ears and nose causing a sensation of not being in my head and whooshing. I think too it affects my balance, but when I went to ENT, there was nothing wrong, can all this makes sense? The doctor says that there is no further tests he will do, but the C.P.N is coming to see me. I do have a Somatoform disorder diagnosis which is probably linked, but then health anxiety people can get ill...

Hi,i have now for 10 dayy the same...i have for 5 days some stomach bug, i was in the bath 3x per day.my husband as well.i took 4 pills of imodium,loperamid.but it is week ago.and still sometimes i feel that bitter taste.it begun the day i took the first pill.i also have a postnasal drip and grass allergies but i dont take anything.
However i am fine,no other problems. No reflux i guess, no pains, stool is normal.
How did it end, agent?
Could it be anything sinister?
Thank you

Fishmanpa
24-06-19, 13:17
This thread is 10 years old Zebra. The OP hasn't been here for 6 years.

Positive thoughts

zebra
24-06-19, 17:54
Oh I see, thank you