PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety - skin cancer

freedom09
27-04-09, 13:41
I am 28 years old and am freaking myself out with everything.

My dad died on christmas day, this was suddenly. A month later my grandma died. Neither died of cancer or anything.
In the same year, I moved house and got married.

I was all ok until I came off the pill (mycrogynon 30) this was last month, 2 weeks later I discovered a lump in my neck. I presumed that this was muscular but it hasnt gone away. I went to the doctor last week and she said it was a lymph node and asked whether I had any infections, cold or anything. Which I said no to. She said they can usually stay up for 6 weeks and that my body may not be producing any symptoms.

But ever since then I have been obsessing over my moles. I keep thinking that they are getting bigger and that I have cancer. My husband says that they are fine.

I did use sunbeds religiously a few years ago and have damaged my skin in some way. I do have new moles and some sun spots but I have stopped this. But now I am worried.

I have had such a hard time recently, I just cant cope.:weep:

mumof4
27-04-09, 14:23
im sorry u are feeling rubbish

i would just like to say my mum died of skin cancer in 2004 and belive me you would know if ur moles were anything serious,

her mole on her leg was a big lump it leaked puss it bleeded it was a awfull smell from it also very itchy.

my mum never used a sun bed did go on holiday though but always in the shade and never got burnt just very unlucky.

im sure ur moles are fine to be honest my bf has moles and they look so different to what my mum had.

freedom09
27-04-09, 17:42
Thank you.

I ask everyone and they say that they look normal. I think my problem is that I was foolish in my early twenties. I have brown hair but fair skin and only a few moles. Although these are inherited. I have begun to notice new moles which doesnt raise any concern.
I think I am convincing myself that because I used the sunbed for a few years, I am going to cancer. I have stopped now cos I realise how foolish it is.