PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feeling a little bit worried by this new flu strain?

Wee-Mee
27-04-09, 14:30
Yeah..I am.I heard on sky news that two people got screened and taken to hospital in lanarkshire in Scotland where I am near with suspected swine flu or whatever it is they are calling it.

:weep:

I'm getting scared it is gonna really spread everywhere and I dunno what to do.

Maybe it'sa bit irrational but it seems pretty bad and I don't keep great anyways.

Someone help me..I hate things like this happening! I am sorry for everyone that has caught it..I just dunno why thing slike this keep happening

And funnily before I even heard it on the news I felt God awful sick and all my muscles really ache.

So now I'm worried. I need slapped or soemthing. :'(

lauren6
27-04-09, 15:12
Hi WeeMee..I understand how you feel because I am within 20 minutes of where we had 8 confirmed cases in the school. I took out my Purell and Wash 'n Dris...what else is there to do? I'm not going to walk round with a face mask. Just minimize being in crowds...like I said yesterday, your ralth comes before politeness and really, nobody should feel impolite refusing a handshake right now (just say you have a cold if you don't want to say the real reason) but everyone should understand. No kissing, hugging people for now (except our sweeties if we have one :-).

Please just take precautions...it is spread by someone sneezing, coughing, breathing on you and of course, touching something an infected person touched. I have to say I am a bit more freaked out than yesterday and plan to not touch anything without a tissue on my hand. They sell a whole box of little latex gloves in the pharmacy if you really want to go that far but then you have to not touch the fingers after they've touched a surface, just like Emergency Medical Techs do when they come with an ambulance. I think the first thing to do is get the wipes in the pharmacy, alcohol is supposed to kill the virus. Stay away from pubs, clubs where people are packed like sardines. For now...I don't want us to put ourselves through unnecessary stress and nothing is worth it.

amandaj
27-04-09, 15:14
i understand your scared so am i ive convinced myself ive got it cos ive had a cold for 3 weeks now anxiety makes us tihng irrational feelings its just that honestly xx

lauren6
27-04-09, 15:17
I had a crazy typo so just want to correct it...I meant your health (I wrote ralth or something) comes before politeness.

Wee-Mee
27-04-09, 15:22
Hey thanks for the replies petals. Yes I am getting more freaked out as the days go to be honest.

And Lauren,I was out on Sat night! In a very busy sweaty club. :( And now after that is where the muscle aches and stuff has came. :'(

Crap. I'm gonna get some wipes and things I think.
Amanda,yes I saw your thread about the ongoing cold,I'm so sorry about it. They are pesky little things,I just hope they get whatever this is sorted soon.

To many people going not well and dying etc.

I just have got freaked hearing that they think it has hit Scotland and that is where I'm from :weep:

xxxxxxxxxxx
Really don't know what is going to happen with it all.

amandaj
27-04-09, 15:26
its only 2 people in tihs country so far wee so its not an outbreak so hopefully it will be controlled

Wee-Mee
27-04-09, 16:21
My mum came home from work and she is sitting watching all of it on the news just now and I have had to put headfones on with music cos I just fele myself going to get into a full blown panic attack :Weep:

It seems so bad

kittykat
27-04-09, 16:25
I get freaked out at things like this as well, but we must remember that most of the deaths have been in Mexico, and they do not have the health care that we have available to ourselves, plus our government is saying we along with the French have enough anti-virals to treat 1 in 4 of the population which is reassuring. Plus it hasn't actually mutated as far as I know. I always carry alcohol gel with me and will just be extra careful not to go out into crowded places, it does scare me though.

honeybee3939
27-04-09, 16:34
Im not worrying, i think the news just wants to frighten people. I found the following link from last year 2008 more or less the same news but a different virus and where all still here.:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1063737/Coming-Britain--Australian-flu-virus-killed-hundreds.html

Also dont forget how many people die over the winter months of the flu virus,s we already have in this country we dont worry about that do we.
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

Little Miss Anxious
27-04-09, 16:49
I agree, the media sensationalise matters & create problems that we needn't worry about. Yeah I agree we need to be made aware of potential threats but we need to keep it realistic - we are not going to get swine flu & in the very very remotest chance that we did there is no reason we should die from it, as the previous post says we have a good contingency for this in our healthcare system.

Try not to think about it xx

NoPoet
27-04-09, 20:11
Hi, so far everyone who has been infected outside Mexico seems to only have mild flulike symptoms -- we also have medication which works against it -- I think the number of deaths in mexico may be more to do with that country's health service than the actual virus.

Kaybee
27-04-09, 20:36
Oh do not even start me!

Ever since I watched the Ch4 news I've been viewing gas masks on ebay.
Air borne viruses freak me out sooo bad.

Damn you John Snow and your voice I just HAVE to believe!!

:mad:

wotcanisay
27-04-09, 21:21
it's not good for sure
i got a ache in my right arm and had sore throat that what started me off but button bashing on street fighter 4 and drink lot of beer

even i started to panic now :weep:

finny12000
27-04-09, 21:30
Im the eternal optimist and see this as getting a right good cheap holiday to mexico anyone wanna come lol

scarecrow
27-04-09, 21:35
I'm keeping an eye on it all, I'm not too worried at the moment as there are only two confirmed cases of it in the UK and they expect them to fully recover. I'm just worried about if it spreads and gets out of hand, I think that will really freak me out, but weve got to think positive and hope that that it will be contained.

miss_moose
27-04-09, 21:55
I just searched "Swine" on the forum to see if anyone else was worried about the flu, so glad it's not just me.
My other half works in a council office with memebers of the public, so i'm worried what if one of them has been to Mexico or been in contact with someone who has and then he picks up the virus that way.
I've had a sore throat and i'm boiling now and feeling faint cos im so hot, it's not unusual for me to feel like this but now i'm thinking its swine flu and panicking like mad.

tantopat
27-04-09, 21:55
I have to admit, this has been really freaking me out ever since I first heard about it. I'm not sure if I feel confident enough to go out, in case I bump into someone who has it (and just when I thought I'd gotten over my agoraphobia... :( ). I keep getting really nervous every time I hear something new about it on the news, and Mum's away on a work training course for 6 weeks, so I can't even go to her for reassurance! (Dad's never been one to really give emotional support. ;^^ ) I just hope they manage to get rid of it soon.

nomorepanic
27-04-09, 22:04
I am ok cos I don't go out much at the moment cos I have a low immune system so need to keep away from people.

I do think they need to stop scaring people to death though!

diane07
27-04-09, 22:08
Guys,

we have to learn not to let the media effect us in such a way, there have been so many different kinds of flu for years and years, my mum had asian flu in her twenties, shes still here, we've had mad cows disease, bird flu.................loads

I say switch the tv and radio off and concentrate on us getting better.

We don't need added stress

di xx

wotcanisay
27-04-09, 22:38
i dont know if am wrong with this but what gets me is the fact they still letting people fly there sounds like they not really that worry

Wee-Mee
27-04-09, 23:10
Hmm that is a thought wotcanisay..

Why would they even consider doing this??

That's just asking for trouble!

I have been having such bad stomach cramps all day aswell so I just have it now that I have this.

I need to go to college aswell tomorrow and I'm just gonna be twitching and jumping away form people like crazy

claire.xx
28-04-09, 00:10
Im glad im not alone. I have a bit of a dodgy throat and achy neck and arms fuzzy head and seem to be getting worse and to make it worse my nephew got sent from school sick so now obviously has to be swine flu. the whole thing scares me to death and i just hope it is all media hype just like it was with bird flu. im terrified iv got it

lauren6
28-04-09, 00:25
Guys, gals, please stop thinking you have this! I live right near the outbreak and even though the number has climbed, it is ONLY the kids that went to Mexico and they are recovering. They are staying home, not mixing with the public and hopefully that will be the end of that. People here are not wearing masks, it is contained in one part of Queens, NY. So if we're not worried, it is totally unwarranted for you, a zillion miles away to think you have swine flu because you have a cold, or an ache. Please, get it out of your head. Take precautions like we always should, use alcohol wipes, etc. but it is not a cause for great concern in the general population. You are always going to find websites that scare the pants off you and they could be written by some lunatic. If there is one case in your country...there are 45 cases in my city right now and we're not panicking. These kids have a lesser strain and are fine now.

PoppyC
28-04-09, 00:37
Just when I thought I was overcoming my agoraphobia and finally getting out there and mixing with people - swine flu decides to hit! :mad:

aurora
28-04-09, 01:31
I searched "swine" to see what everyone thinks of this, too. I live one state away from the New York outbreak, so I'm freaked out. I understand that cases are mild and contained right now in the US,and we have plenty of drugs to treat it, but I'm worried about how this situation could develop if the virus mutates, like they are saying it could. I take public transportation, so that has me pretty worried. I'll be using lots of hand sanitizer and keeping my hands away from my face, I guess! Let's hope this dies down soon...

Jeroenn
28-04-09, 01:37
Don't be scared people ..

Just go to the docter if your getting the flu .. And tell him your scared about it! He will research you, and you get the medicine!

As thats the possitive thing .. Its treatable.

louise0501
28-04-09, 04:06
hey, i'm from the UK and im really worried about this especially since im travelling to london on wed to see a show and just wondered if you think its safe to go? coz the bus down there stops at heathrow airport so i'm slightly concerned. is it safe? any precautions i can take?
please reply
Luv Louise

Romo
28-04-09, 06:11
READ HERE: my doc today said they have a vaccine ALREADY and the gov is waiting for the release within a few days. Also, there are two cures so no worries. :)

Wee-Mee
28-04-09, 13:26
Guess who never went to college today :weep:

And I feel like SH*T. I thought I was still hungover but it's like just God awful nausea.

I'm sorry if I freaked people with this thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one going a bit mad with this.

And my mum last night said this one was worse than thebird flu etc because it can be caught through person to person. :weep:

Blaaah.

Trixie
28-04-09, 13:35
No I am not concerned I have not been to Mexico I don't know anyone who has so :shrug:

You have to be in contact with someone who has either been in contact with someone who is infected or who is infected themselves.

So don't go running to the doctor if you think you have it because you won't be popular.

Trixie
28-04-09, 13:35
hey, i'm from the UK and im really worried about this especially since im travelling to london on wed to see a show and just wondered if you think its safe to go? coz the bus down there stops at heathrow airport so i'm slightly concerned. is it safe? any precautions i can take?
please reply
Luv Louise

Just go and enjoy the show.:yesyes:

nomorepanic
28-04-09, 13:38
Well I am going out shopping or we will die of hunger let alone swine flu :yahoo: :whistles:

Trixie
28-04-09, 13:44
Well I am going out shopping or we will die of hunger let alone swine flu :yahoo: :whistles:

I worked on a infectious disease ward for a long time and I am just about here.:blush:

Panic and ignorance is a big problem when it comes to infections.

bottleblond
28-04-09, 13:51
This is just typical media scaremongering. I don't have a problem with that because thay are paid to do a job by reporting news no matter what the subject.

I think the chances of anyone here getting it are slim to none so please try not to worry.

Lisa
x

nanny
28-04-09, 13:52
Hearing about these things frighten me, I think most people who are anxious would be worried. The media doesn't help by keeping on about it, the more they talk about it the more it plays on your mind.

wotcanisay
28-04-09, 14:23
what bother's me with the news. is that they tell you how deadly it is, then right out the end they tell you that no one has dead outside mexico city in mexico.
also in the last 3 days there be less case's reported.

but i still panicing myself lol don't help the fact i have alow immune system, were i have to take co-trimoxazole in the winter.

Little Miss Anxious
28-04-09, 14:27
Re the comment about it being worse than bird flu wee, I keep hearing that this strain is much more treatable & the symptoms are much less dangerous.

No-one outside of Mexico has died from this so it could be more to do with the level of available healthcare than the actual illness.

I feel very sorry for anyone who was supposed to be travelling for holidays to Mexico this week who now cannot go - Still it is better to be safe than sorry :shrug:

They keep stressing on the news today that if anyone else does get affected in this country The Health Service are very well prepared - yeah people will need medical treatment but there is no reason they should not make a full recovery.

According to some reports it is suspected some people in Mexico could have had this illness, recovered & not even realised it was not ordinary influenza (obviously if this is true that will not have helped contain the outbreak over there)

lauren6
28-04-09, 14:36
Wondering, do you get CNN station in the UK? They have excellent coverage on this but I am sure yours have the same. What's the name of the station (news all day) in the UK?

bottleblond
28-04-09, 14:41
Lauren we have BBC News 24 but i am sure we get CNN too, i would have to look to be sure.
:smile:

Lisa
x

Trixie
28-04-09, 14:43
Now if it was the Ebola virus I would be concerned. :D

Wee-Mee
28-04-09, 14:51
We have bbc news 24 CNN and sky news petal.

Theyre saying on sky news that theyre pandemic fears are growing.

I'm quite upest about this to be honet.Like really

Wee-Mee
28-04-09, 14:51
*switches tv off*

Mudskipper
28-04-09, 15:01
Good move Weemee. Nothing wrong with being sensibly informed but there's such a thing as too much information. There's also the tendency in Britain to see who can produce the most dramatic news presentational style. It's almost like a form of theatre, rather than sensible informed reporting. Leave the telly off and find something else to do. Bake a cake and eat it perhaps?:winks:

Wee-Mee
28-04-09, 16:01
My tummys too upset :(

louise0501
28-04-09, 16:04
hello, i just heard on the radio that 7 people who have just come back from mexico have it in the county im from. im freaking out. im supposed to be going to london tomorrow and im really starting to panic, ive really been looking forward to this day out.

Little Miss Anxious
28-04-09, 16:05
Wee, you could bake a cake then & send it to me, I will eat it :roflmao: Chocolate preferably : ) xx

Little Miss Anxious
28-04-09, 16:09
Louise, you can still look forward to your day in London, there is nothing to worry about - apart from possibly spending too much money on all the fun you can have there : )

nomorepanic
28-04-09, 16:13
You are more likely to get run over by a London bus than catch it there tomorrow Louise.

I hope I haven't given you something else to worry about now though lol

louise0501
28-04-09, 16:24
i guess ill try and stop worrying then and just enjoy the day lol.

Wee-Mee
28-04-09, 16:28
If I could get away with it,could I just buy some people jaffa cakes?

They are still scrumptious ;)

I think I'm just really worried as my immune system is CRAP anyways. Like,in all honesty I got laryngitus from screaming at a concert and I had no voice for months.

bottleblond
28-04-09, 18:25
Wee-you probably strained you vocal chords! Who did you go to see in concert?

Lisa
x

agent orange
28-04-09, 18:34
no, I have too many other things to worry about lol.

Wee-Mee
28-04-09, 18:49
I went to see Meatloaf sometime last year Lisa and I have a diary of things I'm worrying about at the momeny agent orange :(

I think I would be ok if I wasn't already getting a cold anyways before I heard this crap.

Blehhhhhh

kittykat
28-04-09, 19:00
OMG, the folk in polmont there mum and dad just live 2 streets away from me literally 2 minutes walk,just seen there house on the scottish news, plus im getting a bit of a sore throat and cough tickly , is it only if your in direct contact you get it plus im the perfect age for it 37, my son is also getting scared by it he's 13 and gets panicky like me, okay i am officially freaking out now, all resemblence of calm and reasoning that I had has disappeared.......

PUGLETMUM
28-04-09, 19:02
:hugs: i think it is hard for those of us who are frightened by this - i am, and i dont feel well - genuinely - got a sore throat, sore eyes, aching back and headache, but i dont beleive i have swine flu! however i do feel that it has potential to spread coz it already has done - but like the others have said you have to remember the positives and you do have to accept that the media love this sort of thing - look how they banged on about birdflu - something that didnt even exist in human to human form! you do have to try to ignore the hype and stay positive - but i really sympathise becasue when my anx and depression were active i was pooping myself about birdflu - now this flu is out there its a worry but not a hysterical thing - just goes to show tha tyour anxiety will make everything that goes on in the world seem like its going to happen to you? take care, emma xxxxxx

claire m
28-04-09, 19:03
wee-me i feel sick to the stomach with it all but im not helping myself i have watched the news all day and i am constantly checking the internet which is not a good move.

I cant believe it has happened this week, before christmas i was feeling lots better and as a gift to myself and my 2 boys i bought us girls aloud tickets to show them and me how far i have come.

now i really dont want to go i feel so ill about it i am thinking of going to my docs for some diazepam as i cant eat and i feel so sick and shakey.

snowdrop
28-04-09, 19:06
Wee mee

Its always good to put things into persepctive at times like this because we've been here before with 'bird flu' 'mad cow disease' etc, the media love to scare monger.

I am a real fan of statistics and although mine are by no means meant to be accurate, look at the figures of Mexicos population, think its about 107 MILLION people so 100 or so cases is really not that much.

Plus also the stats for deaths of 'normal' flu per year is in its thousands and we at the mo have 2 recorded cases of swine flu so far in the UK and they are recovering well, no deaths.

This country is more than well prepared if it becomes a problem. Like someone else said its always good to have some of that antibacterial hand wash with you anyways, I'm a real fan of the stuff.

And if they say we must all wear those masks i'll be up for that too!

I think they are limiting flights out to Mexico but obviously they can't stop people coming in and they dont think thats necessary right now, we have to trust that they know what they're doing.

Dont watch the news hun, it'll just scare you.

L xxxx

Trixie
28-04-09, 19:12
OMG, the folk in polmont there mum and dad just live 2 streets away from me literally 2 minutes walk,just seen there house on the scottish news, plus im getting a bit of a sore throat and cough tickly , is it only if your in direct contact you get it plus im the perfect age for it 37, my son is also getting scared by it he's 13 and gets panicky like me, okay i am officially freaking out now, all resemblance of calm and reasoning that I had has disappeared.......

And have you been in contact with these people? I understand the original couple that came back from Mexico are fine now. Don't worry.

kittykat
28-04-09, 19:14
not that i know of trixie, its just when its so near it scares me a bit, well a lot now x

Wee-Mee
28-04-09, 19:32
:hugs: kittykat I'm so sorry.

That is terrifying. And I see you are in Scotland too. :hugs:

I feel like crap. I think I was getting a cold anyways and obviously worrying about all this is making me feel like a whole load worse.

I really feel sick.

Meep. I actually feel sorry I started the threa cos I see people have had same thoughts.. I didn't know wether anyone felt the same as me though.

I hate things like this. And the bird flu didn't bother me that much nor mad cow disease,I just kind of went mad and didn't eat beef or chicken or anything..but ths is human to human.

I'm getting iamges that if it spreads it might mutate.

Good God im gonna keel over i htink

Skyline On Fire
28-04-09, 19:44
okay here we go.

i was watching bbc news a hour ago or so, and there was scientist/doctor on. he was saying the media has absolutely blown this out of proportion. main points were...

1. the stats that say 150 dead and 1600 infected in mexico arent worth anything. its been weeks since the start of the infection and many many more would of been infected by now. so basically... the true amount of people who have the flu could be 50-100 thousand, we just dont know, but it will be a LOT more than the 1600 they state. because that 1600 are the ones that have been to hospital for treatmet etc. you need to take into account the THOUSANDS of people who wont have gone to the docs due to it being mild in them, the cost of the whole process, and hundreds of other reasons. there is no way that only 1600 are infected. so the death rate will not be as high as it looks there. trust me on that.

2. there have been ZERO deaths in any country but mexico. there are so many factors as to why this is, but take comfort in it. its horrid for the poor mexicans afffected but for us in the UK, and other first world countries, we are going to be absolutely fine :) take this into consideration. the hiv/aids rate is far far higher in mexico than here. were talking gigantically higher and they have not got the finance to fund the drugs that prevent the massive symptoms as we have in the uk. these illnesses destroy your imune system, the common cold can kill you in that case i belive. so please dont worry. there are a million reasons why we are going to be fine.

3. the flu responds well to antivirals, of which the uk has a gigantic stock that can treat 33 million people. thats a worst worst case scenario, it will NOT reach that.

4. just one little thing to cheer you up. source is bbc so its true, the amount of new cases have been declining in mexico for a few days now. quite significantly. with the increased awareness and more people getting checked it should be rising, but it isnt. thats a great peice of news.

now try and relax about it all. everyone will be fine in the UK. we dont have the wonderful NHS just for looks :) its marvellous and designed to help us with these things.

kittykat
28-04-09, 19:49
Wee, i feel just like you i'm gonna have a nice bath and take a diazepam to try and calm me down, thanks for that sky its helped a little but things like this just freak me out x just wish i could be rational about these things

Skyline On Fire
28-04-09, 20:02
im scared too, but its stupid to be.

you have to understand the media is all about view counts. the more they get the more cash they get. they will do anything to get your views, including sensationalising everything.

fact is, outside of mexico, MEXICO THE TERRIBLY POOR AND UNEQUIPPED COUNTRY RIFE WITH AIDS, HIV, ETC.... its a mild flu! please try and relax and remember this.

we live in one of the greatest and safest countries on the planet. did you know the NHS is something like the third biggest employer on the planet? we have 1.3 million members of the NHS looking after us :) we have drugs, testing, treatment, vaccines, world class staff, years of prep and planning. mexico has NONE of this, hence the poor people who are dying, RIP.

just try not to think about it, its not worth stressing about. im stressing too because im a complete irrational joke of an individual sometimes! like now!

do you think if it was something to worry about, that there wouldnt be any more restrictions in place and advice? my point is, yes its nasty, yes it will be horrid to catch, no you wont die, and we will all be fine. its silly to worry, and comparing it to pandemics such as the spanish flu one or whatever it was called is the silliest thing i have ever ever heard. they had no medicine, not technology, none of the things we have now. we are safe.

wotcanisay
28-04-09, 20:02
thank you skyline
just with having alow immune system it panic's me.

Skyline On Fire
28-04-09, 20:17
and we have medicine that will stop anything severe developing. worst case scenario you catch it, and you get a mild flu. take some tamiflu, and your good to go after a weeks bedrest :)

Stressed32
28-04-09, 23:59
I am worried...won't even watch the news...PLUS I HAVE A PIG...now what do I do? There is no vacine for them...I only have 1 but it is pig flu so I am not sure if I can get it from her???

Stressed32
29-04-09, 00:02
SkyLine on fire---the media does a great job of blowing things out of proporton yes? And this just does so much to help our HA...I think the media created my HA...I have said it before and I'll say it again...here is just 1 example of why I am so darn scared of HIV...in the 80s this is what they did with HIV, then it was bird flu...now this. I am getting to the point where I do not even know if I can beleive what I see on the news anymore or if it is being blown out of proportion for the sake of ratings.

MM_II
29-04-09, 01:54
Article:

Swine Flu: Top 5 Reasons NOT to panic

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/SwineFlu/Story?id=7443116&page=1

Skyline On Fire
29-04-09, 02:50
guys i promise you that you dont have to worry as much as you are.

it really isnt the end of the world. this is terrible for mexico and the people involved there, elsewhere its the flu. simple as that.

wotcanisay
29-04-09, 03:21
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/28/snoutbreak-09-the-daily-s_n_192151.html
watch both videos

Ireni
29-04-09, 08:33
I'm still terrified. All I'm seeing is headlines saying 'SWINE FLU HITS BRITAIN!'. I don't want to go out today. I'm worried in case I'll get it. I know I'm probably being irrational but I'm just so scared.

deb141
29-04-09, 09:04
The media have not helped at all, i know we need to know about it but every 5 minutes there is something else on the news. As others have said, if you catch it, its treatable, we have to put this in perspective. My brother had double pneumonia a few months ago as his immune system is rubbish, he was in hospital for a few weeks and made an amazing recovery after being desperately ill. In my experience the NHS were brilliant looking after him and making sure he had the right drugs etc, so i put my faith in them.
If you really feel ill and think you have the flu then get straight to the docs.

kittykat
29-04-09, 11:15
okay i think something is going on now im freakin, the scottish gov has just told us to be prepared for things and issued advice to buisnesses about keeping essential supplies, im feeling really shakey

AntiLove_SuperStar
29-04-09, 12:02
Ahh now a 23 month old child has died from it in the US, outside Mexico

Mondie
29-04-09, 12:22
I've just read that 12,000 people in the US have died so far this year due to normal seasonal flu; we need to try and keep this in perspective...PLEASE try and stop worrying so much...

:bighug1:

Skyline On Fire
29-04-09, 12:31
This is going to sound awful... But it's good that a baby died as opposed to a healthy adult. It means it's a more normal strain, that kills the old and young. Honestly stay calm, it's not the 1920s anymore!!!

mumof4
29-04-09, 12:36
im not worried and usuall i would be so far i think the papers have made it worse and they have all the right vacines to help us and to be honest i think its really a slim change u will catch it.

there is always something going about wither this or bird flu mad cow there is something every year.

so dont worry u will be fine

Helen1973
29-04-09, 12:48
Hello everyone:)

I just wanted to say that this thread is really helpful. Sincere thank you's to those that have posted to offer reassurance:hugs:

Also, I was really interested in the article that honeybee3939 posted back on page one. Wow! That bunch of headlines didn't even blip on my radar and it sounds much worse than the current scare and nothing came of it. Honestly, go and click and you'll see why honeybee3939 posted it. I also had no idea (or recall) that Britain suffered a pandemic in 1989-90 and I was fifteen at the time, lol. Just shows you what the difference is between normal rational thinking and the catastrophising I do now.

I am so sorry for that US child's family. *sigh* God bless and comfort them, as well as those affected in Mexico!

sezzy5889
29-04-09, 12:52
My dads in atlana and is flying to Kansas today where swine flu has just broke out, he'll be back in the midlands,UK in a couple of weeks :unsure:

I do hope hes practising good hygeine while hes out there, so far hes been to Georgia aquarium place and a baseball match, ie. very crowded places!!!:weep:

hes out there on work course and is spending most days cooped up in office environments having meetings etc in cramped meeting rooms...

I don't live with my parents but i will be staying at there a week after he returns for god knows how long as i have jury service in the area :huh:

help...

wotcanisay
29-04-09, 15:13
Ahh now a 23 month old child has died from it in the US, outside Mexico

the poor kid was move to usa for treatment was from mexico

NoPoet
29-04-09, 15:38
The mortality rate for this flu is something like 7% in mexico and zero elsewhere. Everyone outside of Mexico who has contracted the virus has recovered or, if still infected, are not dying from it. That suggests Mexico is doing something wrong -- remember they do not have the resoruces or access to health care that we do.

The symptoms of this flu are also reported to be "mild" and apparently can only be spread through personal contact, as planes are not being quarantined and passengers are not being recalled for tests by their local hospitals. It's not exactly The Stand, is it?

The media is trying to scare us all again. They must be getting fed up of using the words "credit" and "crunch". Obviously any outbreak is a concern but we have a treatment for this one and the fatality rate is low.

Wee-Mee
29-04-09, 15:55
I just have a really crap immune system as it is. I think that is what is worrying.

I think I have a stomach bug just now and God knows where I got that. But I think if I was like this really strong crazy ass marathon running weightlifter that was popping with nutrients etc then I would be like "swine flu..psshhh" *flick*

But I'm not and I'm scared.

claire m
29-04-09, 16:00
i just saw on the news that the baby was from mexico and having treatment for the virus just over the border in america.

i am concerned though i mean what exactly does pandemic mean?
does it mean a worldwide flu outbreak?

or does it mean mass devastation on a global scale?

i feel sick about it all :weep:.

amandaj
29-04-09, 16:11
i am also very scared im not watching the news or reading the papers till its settled a bit think its the best thing to do atm

Trixie
29-04-09, 16:12
i just saw on the news that the baby was from mexico and having treatment for the virus just over the border in america.

i am concerned though i mean what exactly does pandemic mean?
does it mean a worldwide flu outbreak?

or does it mean mass devastation on a global scale?

i feel sick about it all :weep:.

Pandemic: An epidemic (a sudden outbreak) that becomes very widespread and affects a whole region, a continent, or the world.

It does not mean mass devastation on a global scale.

It is quite possible to have a pandemic without massive loss of life it all depends on the illness. If it was something like the Ebola virus then I would be panicking but it is not.

A lot of these flu type infections are worse for those people who are very young or very old or who have a medical condition such as heart disease or asthma. I am not saying it is something to look forward to getting but..............:shrug:

Stop worrying you could get run over by a bus tomorrow:blush:

Kraggy
29-04-09, 16:12
I personally did not worry that much about the swine flu, untill I read that people have been found in Germany who are infected by it..Which is fairly close to the netherlands, But when you think about it.. I doubt that any of us will get it, I think that the fact that we are afraid of it, and will probably take far more precautions then other people will protect us from it quite a bit...
And even if we do happen to get it, I'm pretty sure that we'd notice even the smallest symptons, and be in our doctors in a very early stage.

kind regards,

Kraggy :hugs:

Trixie
29-04-09, 16:15
I personally did not worry that much about the swine flu, untill I read that people have been found in Germany who are infected by it..Which is fairly close to the netherlands, But when you think about it.. I doubt that any of us will get it, I think that the fact that we are afraid of it, and will probably take far more precautions then other people will protect us from it quite a bit...
And even if we do happen to get it, I'm pretty sure that we'd notice even the smallest symptons, and be in our doctors in a very early stage.

kind regards,

Kraggy :hugs:

It has been advised not to turn up at your doctors but to phone as if by some slim chance you were to get it, you would infect others.

Stay at home and phone instead.:)

Kraggy
29-04-09, 16:18
Hmm..Did not even think of that...Poor Doctor wouldn't want to get sick either xP

Helen1973
29-04-09, 16:25
Another fact to bear in mind as reported in today's news is that Mexico have actually overestimated their dead due to the virus. Yesterday they were saying they had 20 'confirmed' deaths (the number of 150+ is merely 'suspected') and yet today, after more vigorous tests, that number has been reduced to 7--meaning that two thirds of those they thought had been Swine Flu actually hadn't been!

Chin up everyone:D

Wee-Mee
29-04-09, 16:35
A lot of these flu type infections are worse for those people who are very young or very old or who have a medical condition such as heart disease or asthma

I have asthma :weep:

Trixie
29-04-09, 16:38

But it is very severe asthma?

Skyline On Fire
29-04-09, 16:40
we have drugs for these things, we dont live in a 3rd world country.

trixie knows her stuff, so listen to what she says.

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 16:43
If youre worried then tune onto bbc hereford and worcester on the net whilst youre on here. There is a lady in Redditch with swine flu now and i live nearish to redditch. Jackie Smith MP has been done a live interview as im sure you know Redditch is her home town. They will be re-playing it soon and it makes interesting listening.

Tracy

nomorepanic
29-04-09, 16:46
Personally I don't think this thread and all the other posts we have about it are helping anyone with Health Anxiety - in fact I think it is making some people worse!

Someone posted a new thread and said that they had it now - I mean come on people let's keep this real :lac:

If you are worried about it then be informed but don't get silly over it and stop watching the news!!!!

It is getting silly now and rather annoying as well to be honest.

nomorepanic
29-04-09, 16:48
Sally did this thread so have a read then please try and calm down...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48539

jodie
29-04-09, 16:50
im with you on this one nic

the news are making more of it than they should i am sure ,i can understand people with ha will panic but the more talk of it the more you will panic .
nothing you can do about it really ,i don't think there is much chance of catching it and if you do there is drugs they can give you that seem to be doing the job.

jodie

Skyline On Fire
29-04-09, 16:51
i see where your coming from nomorepanic, im assuming your site owner or admin.

the news ive been posting in here is encouraging and positive, i wouldnt post anything negative because i know what its like to be paralyzed with fear from these things.

everyone needs to take a step back and look at the situation logically.

1. nobody NOBODY has got swine flu in this country who has not been to mexico so far.

2. the people who do have swine flu, are all absolutely fine. they have mild flu like symptoms and are all recovering fine.

3. its not crazy contageous like the media is making it seem. just use common sense. dont lick your fingers after pushing a button on a lift etc... and you will be fine!

4. nobody has died who isnt mexican yet, and we dont know how many people there have actually died from it due to the incompetence of the mexican medical services, especially in comparison to the NHS we have in this country, truly first class health service.

5. it is responsive to tamiflu and another antiviral, we have the largest stocks of this in the world, with even more on the way. not to mention they will have a vaccine by early may, and it should be out in significant numbers by late june.

6. people in mexico have to pay for their healthcare, so they wont go for treatment unless they are on deaths door, hence the few deaths that they have had. please do not worry. its a flu. nothing that is going to destroy the planets population etc....

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 16:54
:yesyes: Im not worried about it at all Nic but I can understand that some people are so it doesnt annoy me. I dont like to dismiss other people's fears which is why i suggest they listen to Jackie Smiths interview. This is stressful to some members here at the moment just like any other worry that people have so lets be patient with them please.

Just think it could be me or you getting worked up about something that another member would just dismiss.:)

Tracy x x x

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 16:56
Excellent post Skyline

x

Wee-Mee
29-04-09, 17:00
I'm sorry :(

Skyline On Fire
29-04-09, 17:01
thanks, if you could find a link to her interview on bbc.com or youtube or something that would be great, what does she say exactly?

yeah i wouldnt dismiss anyones fear to be honest. it may seem irrational to some members here. but remember this. we all found this site in a time of need, when we needed comfort and reassurance about our own fears, which may seem stupid to other members, its a 2 way thing.

just respect and care for the people around you and be a nice guy/girl, and it benefits everyone.

nobodys fear or phobia is stupid, it doesnt make you a worse person. its just something everyone on the planet has, flight of fight, fear, its all the same.

Skyline On Fire
29-04-09, 17:03
wee mii dont apologise!

you have absolutely nothing to be sorry for i promise you. everyone has fear and everyones fears are as valid as the next persons. never let anyone tell you that your doing something wrong because your not. your scared, just like everyone else in the world, about your own things. its not a bad thing and you never need to be sorry for fear. its what makes us human. to have no fear would be horrible, plus youd probably die trying to climb mount everest on a pogo stick or something!

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 17:04
Wee-mee

Please dont be sorry my darling. You are worried and that is understandable as your suffering from HA. Im sure deep down that you know everything will be ok but you just cant help it.

Take care.

X

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 17:08
Skyline

If you google

bbc hereford and worcester and go onto their site it should give a link. It was interesting because she was explaining everything that is being done and telling the presenter that the media are hyping things. Also she has been trying to make sure that the leaflet which we are all going to get by tues will get to us earlier. But then its only basic hygiene tips i think.

X

Charlottie
29-04-09, 17:08
This is how messed up the media are, my local paper said one of the new UK cases is in Birmingham so I panicked because I go to uni there! Then went to the BBC site found out they're actually in Redditch! It is scaring me though cause I find it hard enough to breathe with normal colds, stupid asthma :(

nomorepanic
29-04-09, 17:09
I still stand by what I said though - people are making each other worse on here as they are now comparing notes and deciding they have it as well.

Not just on this thread but all the others we have I mean.

If if it stressing you to watch the TV then please please turn it off. It is making people worse I can see that.

bottleblond
29-04-09, 18:16
Everyone who has contracted the virus so far have either been living in or visiting Mexico.

The health officials say, as long as we practice basic hygine, ie: handwashing etc then we should be ok.

Please try not to worry about contracting it.
Lisa
xxx

Trixie
29-04-09, 18:21
I still stand by what I said though - people are making each other worse on here as they are now comparing notes and deciding they have it as well.

Not just on this thread but all the others we have I mean.

If if it stressing you to watch the TV then please please turn it off. It is making people worse I can see that.

And next thing we will read about is people filling up the doctors surgery with flippin colds (excuse the swearing).

Forget about it everyone and concentrate on something else such as CHOCOLATE AND MEN.:yesyes:

amandaj
29-04-09, 18:26
i agree with nic its not helping us with anxiety going on about it as i said earlier i def wont be watching news or reading papers no way

amandaj
29-04-09, 18:27
chocolate will do trixie forget the men lol

scarecrow
29-04-09, 19:03
I know it is a very stressful time worrying about this Flu for us that suffer from Health Anxiety, I am also very stressed over it but all the same it has been nice to express our fears and concern over it on this thread, it has certainly helped me reading all the posts, It's nice to read others who are scared as well as yourself, I feel it's stopped people worrying about it in silence on their own. I for one am grateful for this thread, but "hey" that's just my own opinion.

claire m
29-04-09, 19:05
i agree about not watching so much news amanda i got to be ridicuous i was watching rolling sky news which was way too dramatic in comparison with the bbc.
scouring the internet too for info is not wise either.
from now on i will just be watching 1 news bulletin a day.

PoppyC
29-04-09, 21:25
I really cant be bothered to be worried about swine flu.If I get it I get it. Does this attitude mean my citalopram is actually finally working??? :yesyes:

PUGLETMUM
29-04-09, 21:42
:) nic, bottleblond - i dont want to get into an argument here - but i dont think this thread is actually making ppl worse? if they need to talk about it rationally then i dont see the problem - i do have ha and i didnt realise how bad it was - im not freaking out becasue i am practising mindfulness currently and i am alot calmer and happier these days - but i do watch the news throughout the day and i do read a paper if im around one or listen to the radio. this situation will natuarally affect ha sufferers and i think its good that they can be reassured by other ppl - anyone not suffering ha doesnt have to read the thread - and i would agree that other threads may not be helping, but i havent read them as i have only looked at the threads im involved in today - why not close any unhelpful ones and keep this one open for the ha sufferers to get sensible reassurance - this thread has helped me:)

scarecrow
I really cant be bothered to be worried about swine flu.If I get it I get it. Does this attitude mean my citalopram is actually finally working??? :yesyes:

I'm on Citalopram, I hope I get to that stage :D

tracy.splosh
I was just thinking about earlier posts. And... if it wasnt for this thread and nmp of course, then what would members like mee wee do? At least this site is here for people that need it.

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 21:44
Emmas post hits the nail on the head....if you dont like it then dont read it

scarecrow
29-04-09, 21:48
:) nic, bottleblond - i dont want to get into an argument here - but i dont think this thread is actually making ppl worse? if they need to talk about it rationally then i dont see the problem - i do have ha and i didnt realise how bad it was - im not freaking out becasue i am practising mindfulness currently and i am alot calmer and happier these days - but i do watch the news throughout the day and i do read a paper if im around one or listen to the radio. this situation will natuarally affect ha sufferers and i think its good that they can be reassured by other ppl - anyone not suffering ha doesnt have to read the thread - and i would agree that other threads may not be helping, but i havent read them as i have only looked at the threads im involved in today - why not close any unhelpful ones and keep this one open for the ha sufferers to get sensible reassurance - this thread has helped me:)

Well put Emmas, I completely agree. :)

nomorepanic
29-04-09, 21:49
I will just shut up now then :wall:

randomworry
29-04-09, 21:52
dont worry about swine flu guys

nomorepanic
29-04-09, 21:52

This was my point - someone mentioned asthma and this flu and now wee mee is even more worried!

bottleblond
29-04-09, 21:53

Emmas

Um i didn't say this thread was making people worse. I was trying to reasure people to stop them worrying so much.

I have HA too so i completely understand that this is a worry for alot of people but if the facts are looked at logically, then i hope people realise that it's not so much of a worry and that they can relax a little.

Lisa
x

PUGLETMUM
29-04-09, 21:57
:) okay, i would also like to add that i did send my husband out for a thermometer as my last one broke, because i have felt ill -ish since sunday and stupidly due to ha i have already thought have i randomly caught it from someone who has been to mexico and has been in the community without knowing they had it!!!!

so my ha is still active - but i am aware of it and im not trying to control it - i am scared, so what im scared - nobody can tell me whether to be scared or not - thats part of my personality and i accept it, and by accepting it it doesnt get any worse - if i tell myself to stop it then it gets worse - these thoughts want to be heard - so i hear them and then i decide wha tto do with them - but the first thing my husband said was 'i hope you arent going to start taking your temperature all the time'? and i just told him to get lost! i havent taken it today - but ive still felt a bit rough and ive just sneezed and i have been watching the news on/off all day! but i did feel scared yesterday and i did take my temp a few times last night - oh yes i di take it today - this morning - i forgot:blush:

i think if i keep up with the info then i will know whats going on - but i dont feel bad about being worried and so i am less worried - its much worse to have ha and to feel bad and ashamed about it - there are some really helpful posts on this thread , being very sensible, rational and kind and sympathetic - please keep helping the ppl that need it until this saga blows over:yesyes:

lauren6
29-04-09, 21:59
I am watching CNN which is our equivalent of BBC. One of the most knowledgeable doctors is Sanjay Gupta. There was just a WHO (World Health Organization) meeting which some of you may have seen live. the level has just been changed from 4 to 5 (pandemic imminent), 6 being the highest. Dr.Gupta is not alarming people, just making us aware of the facts. He just said we have to change our "greeting habits" and nobody should be insulted...no hugging and kissing as a greeting. People have to understand, we just have to keep a distance and it doesn't mean we're being impolite.

I am looking at this with as realistic head as I can, I'm learning about preparedness, what our country is doing to help us. We need to know this. I would freak out more not knowing anything. Just learn what you need to know..I think you will be less anxious if you know what you can do to protect yourself. Learn which masks work and which don't, they are being very specific. Get the alcohol or Purell. I know everyone here is different but we have it all over here now and people are not freaking out, just being super careful.

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 22:01
This is my last post tonight as im off to bed...but Weemee was getting some support at least. Now after 5pm there havent been any posts off her since she apologised, i know you were annoyed nic about this thread but at least she was being honest about her thoughts and had NMP to off load on. I hope she is ok now. Maybe the other post was correct close the other threads and just keep this one going???

Tracy

nomorepanic
29-04-09, 22:04
I do not appreciate being named and shamed for something I haven't done - thank you.

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 22:04
Sorry Nic

Just seen your last post, youre not banging your head against a brick wall at all its just that when people are well sometimes we forget how other people are feeling. It seems to me from these posts that some people are getting support from this thread. Just my opinion.

Night

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 22:05
Im confused - what do you mean?

nomorepanic
29-04-09, 22:07
Well I'm not well so that counts me out :yahoo: :whistles:

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 22:10
Sorry still dont know what you mean about being named and shamed?

bottleblond
29-04-09, 22:13
Tracy

I think we should leave it there for tonight

Lisa

AntiLove_SuperStar
29-04-09, 22:14
Nic believes, I think, that you are attributing some annoyance felt about this thread to her, and she does not believe she expressed annoyance. And you said "nic" somewhere in that post ^, so thats probably the "naming" bit.

Whether she did or didn't express annoyance...lets all just be nice here?? Its usually a lovely community.

mick_uk
29-04-09, 22:14
You think you have got problems!
The remote on my TV has just broke!
What do I do now? How will I get by until the shops open in the morning!

:D

jodie
29-04-09, 22:18
mick lmao

find a big stick so u can turn tv over for now till morning :roflmao:

jodie x

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 22:18
OMG not another row, what i meant was that Nic said earlier that she was finding this annoying. Her post not mine. I never meant anything by it, why is everyone so sensitive?

bottleblond
29-04-09, 22:20

OMG Mick
:roflmao:

I have a spare remote so will send it by pigeon post to you!!
Open your window because Jamima doesnt like to be left on the ledge! Lol

Lisa
xxx

mick_uk
29-04-09, 22:22
:roflmao:

I might have to phone the samaritans soon.

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 22:24
Bottleblond

Without having a falling out, could you please explain to me why we should leave things for tonight? I have re-read this thread and cannot see what i have dont wrong. Please enlighten me.

Tracy

nomorepanic
29-04-09, 22:25
I am currently researching HA for members on here and reading a very very very heavy book on it (I don't mean weight wise lol).

I am not an expert yet by any means but this sort of thread is actually counter-productive to people suffering with HA.

I am hoping to write something up about HA soon but bascially some people are made worse by reading this thread and the reason I was getting annoyed earlier is I could see members getting more and more agitated by replies and then more worries and more stress and then we get a member that has now decided she has the flu but can't possibly have got it!!!

It is not helpful to be sympathetic to HA sufferers and pat them on the head and say "there there it will be ok". The more you give them hugs and tell them they will be ok the worse they get cos they see that having all these illnesses gets them attention etc.

THIS IS WHAT I AM LEARNING FROM THIS BOOK SO DON'T BLAME ME OK!!

bottleblond
29-04-09, 22:27
Bottleblond

Without having a falling out, could you please explain to me why we should leave things for tonight? I have re-read this thread and cannot see what i have dont wrong. Please enlighten me.

Tracy

Sorry Tracy but i am sure you said you were off to bed and then said night!
Hence the... we should leave it for the night!
:shrug:

nomorepanic
29-04-09, 22:28

Mick

Do you remember the days when we had to actually get off the settee and change the TV manually :winks:

Good exercise you know :yahoo:

lauren6
29-04-09, 22:31
Nicola, may I ask which book? I have a lot of them but may not have the one you're reading. Is it Admundson's book meant for the therapist (Treating Health Anxiety)?

mick_uk
29-04-09, 22:32
Nicola,
It's a long walk from the armchair to the the TV :D
I might have to set up a base camp by the aquarium and see if I can reach it by midnight.
If not I might have to READ A BOOK!

nomorepanic
29-04-09, 22:33
Nicola, may I ask which book? I have a lot of them but may not have the one you're reading. Is it Admundson's book meant for the therapist (Treating Health Anxiety)?

Yes Lauren it is :roflmao:

Blimey isn't it hard going !!!

tracy.splosh
29-04-09, 22:41
Lisa

That doesnt answer my question does it. Im not going to be rude to you or else I will be told off again, but I can tell you that every post/thread that I have seen on NMP that is of a bullying nature has been recorded. I am in the process of making a formal complaint against this site, as far as im concerned this is nothing more than bullying and this has been noted. I only mentioned that Nic said this post was annoying her and yet again you pipe up. Im sorry but so many people have left now because this isnt fair. I have seen countless posts and threads which are causing concern for external bodies and this will be dealt with. You cannot have NMP being NHS affliated and then have people like yourself being rude. If you got out more then you would realise this. I will never log on here again but I can assure you that this is being taken further. Also Nic, i sent you a very nice pm on monday and all you can say is admin are discussing things. You are supposed to be helping people not making them ill. You have proved today how weak you are. I have also changed my email address so only contact me via home address as i want everyting to be recorded properly. I can assure you though that this will be sorted out - you really do act like a bunch of council estate, teenage dossers who have nothing else better to do then pick on vulnerable victims. No wonder Charles Linden is so sucessful.

lauren6
29-04-09, 22:41
Thanks so much for the quick reply, Nicola. I guess you are also familiar with their second book for the layman "It's Not All In Your Head". These guys are great. If only I could implement it in myself..it's weird because intellectually we know this stuff but it overtakes us and the logic goes out the window. But then, cognitive restructuring IS all about logic, about reshaping our thought to more logical thoughts and probably outcomes of symptoms. Just so hard and takes so much determination and practice.

Since this is a thread that is being read by so many, I'd like to add that the word pandemic brings to mind everyone keeling over like some of the plagues at the turn of the century. It has a definition and this is not always the case at all so I hope the word pandemic doesn't scare the heck out of everyone. Best for people to look up the wikipedia definition if you're not sure. they describe it well.

Wee-Mee
29-04-09, 22:42
Um... I just read up on the thread. I really did not mean anything. I didn't want to start anything. I just didn't know what else to do or say. I just came off and tried to listen to music etc.

I dunno what else to say.

I'm still ill worrying but I will try be okay

It;s awful cos when I started the thread it was serious but it seems as the thread has gone on so has the news and all the worse news and it's escalated and I'm sorry :(

I feel I have started something awful.

I'm sorry Nic and everyone really.

Amy xxx

mick_uk
29-04-09, 22:50
It's been a long time since I was called a 'teenage dosser' :scared15:

lauren6
29-04-09, 22:52
Wee-Mee, I feel like I know you by now so want to say you expressed fear about something that the whole world is talking about and somewhat frightened. It would be odd if we with health anxiety weren't. You are not the only one who started a thread about swine flu. It is not your fault. Disagreements can happen on any thread and who started it is irrelevant. Let's have some cyber tea and strawberry shortcake! xo Lauren

Wee-Mee
29-04-09, 22:55
I know. I guess I din't think arguments would happen. As far as posts have been concerned,alot have comforted me,but I know in my own experience it only last a while and then somewhere someone somehow gives me news of this again and I get worked up again and need comfort.

I hope nothing happens to the board. It has helped me alot and I'm jsut scared that I have triggered something by this thread.

:(

I hope everything is ok
:/

xxx

Lauren yes tea please :)

bottleblond
29-04-09, 22:59
Lisa

That doesnt answer my question does it. Im not going to be rude to you or else I will be told off again, but I can tell you that every post/thread that I have seen on NMP that is of a bullying nature has been recorded. I am in the process of making a formal complaint against this site, as far as im concerned this is nothing more than bullying and this has been noted. I only mentioned that Nic said this post was annoying her and yet again you pipe up. Im sorry but so many people have left now because this isnt fair. I have seen countless posts and threads which are causing concern for external bodies and this will be dealt with. You cannot have NMP being NHS affliated and then have people like yourself being rude. If you got out more then you would realise this. I will never log on here again but I can assure you that this is being taken further. Also Nic, i sent you a very nice pm on monday and all you can say is admin are discussing things. You are supposed to be helping people not making them ill. You have proved today how weak you are. I have also changed my email address so only contact me via home address as i want everyting to be recorded properly. I can assure you though that this will be sorted out - you really do act like a bunch of council estate, teenage dossers who have nothing else better to do then pick on vulnerable victims. No wonder Charles Linden is so sucessful.

Tracy

Please feel free to do as you see fit, however we also have things 'recorded' which show where these problems lie. I will answer publicy as you have posted publicly.

This is a professional and compassionate site where members are treated with compassion and respect.

Your 'Bullying' accusation is not only unjust but an untruth which other members will back up.

You have made you feelings clear over a period of time that you prefer Mr Lindens 'Method' to the advice and friendship you recieve here on NMP.

We can only wish you well with your choice to leave NMP and hope that your future is a happy one.

Nmp will be happy to address any complaint you bring to the team.

Regards

Lisa
NMP Administrator

nomorepanic
29-04-09, 23:06
Thanks so much for the quick reply, Nicola. I guess you are also familiar with their second book for the layman "It's Not All In Your Head".

Not read that one yet Lauren - I am struggling with the first one but I thought it would give me some valuable advice to pass on to HA sufferers.

I will look into that one as well. Thanks

For everyone else - I watched the news for the first time tonight about this flu thing and they said they have it under control. If you go to your doctors they can do a test to see if you have it then give you the drugs to sort it out so not to worry and they are on standby to be able to treat thousands of cases.

BUT please do not all go to the doctors unnecessarily as you can appreciate.

finny12000
29-04-09, 23:43
:emot-woot: whats wrong with a good old council estate and why do dossers have to be teenagers lol
god i feel like a holiday ,fancy a cheap holiday to mexico weemee lol:yahoo:

Wee-Mee
29-04-09, 23:50
not really no :( sorry.. egypt?

Wee-Mee
29-04-09, 23:57

Should we close the thread?

I wish I never posted now. I'm sorry this has started something

NoPoet
29-04-09, 23:57
I've always wondered why anyone would want to go on holiday to Mexico anyway. Has nobody seen The Three Amigos?

This swine flu thing is a load of hogwash. (Ba-dun-TUSH! :happy: ) I had to phone NHS Direct tonight because my mum started bleeding from her ear, and we are facing a six hour wait for a doctor to call us back because their lines are jammed with people ringing about this sodding pig thing.

My mum has been denied medical attention because the whole country thinks it is infected. There have been TWO confirmed cases of swine flu, neither of the infected people are particularly ill, no bugger else has been diagnosed with it, and we're turning into something from the Black Parade!

finny12000
30-04-09, 00:01
Who treated her unfairly poppy?...her last post was scandalous and contemptable... bullying, saying nic was making ppl ill on a site shes set up to help and support people and then to finish it off with a idiotic statement about council estate teenage dossers picking on vulnerable people and you sticking up for her !!!! and saying my remarks were childish lol phew

PoppyC
30-04-09, 00:03
Each to their own opinion - freedom of speech and all that. Tracey had a right to her opinion just as we all are. I am sad to see her leave.
Poet - Sorry to hear about your mum...how is she now???

NoPoet
30-04-09, 00:07
This is the first thread I've seen on NMP that makes me want to bang peoples' heads together. Why should Amy have to apologise for having health anxiety? Why has this thread turned into an argument? Why am I even bothering, cos no-one is gonna reply to this post, they'll just carry on sniping at each other. I'm going back to planet earth to continue my fight against anxiety and depression. Everyone else is free to stay here and sling insults.

PoppyC
30-04-09, 00:15
Amy should not have to apologise for her health anxiety I agree.
Come back Poet - we will all miss you!!!
See! I just replied to your post!

Skyline On Fire
30-04-09, 00:18
she should never apologise or be embarrased by it.

just dont worry about it girl

xx

NoPoet
30-04-09, 00:31
Sorry, I didn't mean to engage in false suspense, I'm not leaving the site, I am just leaving this thread :happy:

PoppyC
30-04-09, 00:39
Good! We dont want you to leave the site :weep:...you can leave the thread but not the site! :D...
I am off to sleep now...will probably have bad dreams about pigs or the plague or something...
Poet - Do you get bad dreams on citalopram??? See! If you went I wouldnt be able to ask you questions about citalopram! :winks:

eeyorelover
30-04-09, 01:47

Should we close the thread?

I wish I never posted now. I'm sorry this has started something

I think that you have only posted about a fear that is really rather wide spread right now due to media attention and what I believe is drug companies drumming up business.
The sales of the 2 drugs for the flu that treat the swine flu were down this year and isn't it amazing that POOF the media, the CDC, and WHO all pick up and run with calling this a pandemic and how loads of the meds are being stockpiled!

Now don't get me wrong, washing one's hands and steering clear of people who are ill is a great idea to keep the flu from spreading BUT all the fatalities have been in Mexico and the WHO spokesperson today was saying that the hardest hit would be 3rd world countries so how much of this is media hype and personally being a conspiracy theorist I believe it is a way to increase sales of tamaflu and the other one that I can't spell ;)

I can definitely understand being frightened because I have my moments too when watching it on TV but the simple truth is even if you do get it, it's completely treatable.
And the chance of you being hit by a bus is statistically more likely than you getting swine flu.

I'm definitely not trying to make light of the fear PLEASE don't think I'm being insensitive!
I truly believe that thinking logically and discussing things like this openly and honestly helps us all the fight HA!

Don't ever feel you can't post about a fear or concern!!
You have every right to express how you are feeling and the whole community will support anyone who needs it :)
After all, that's what this site is for!
xxx
Sandy

justbananas
30-04-09, 04:03
don't want to get involved in the argument portion of this thread BUT would like to mention, for the record.. in my opinion, the beauty of this site is really just being able to come on here and vent irrational concerns. i'm a young successful professional from a large city who is in therapy, seeking appropriate treatment for my anxiety, leading my life accordingly - yet I do like having a place I can come when I get home each night and just spew my crazy fears to friends and like-minded peers and have them chime in.

whether or not it's clinically beneficial for people to respond a certain way to me, ie consoling me or making promises etc. i think is kind of beyond the point. at the end of the day, this is an internet forum, and to be honest most often the best part is just coming on here seeing others going through the same thing, and bouncing ideas off of one another. just having a space to do so.

i'm not really that into the idea of people worrying about how to best respond to me, what statements do and do not work in response to my fears. at the end of the day, i enjoy being able to say what i like and see others do the same. do i sometimes think i am being ridiculous? YES. do i sometimes think some peoples' posts or concerns are ridiculous? yes. but as long as we come here with open minds and respectful demeanor, i say - play on playaz!

MidnightRunner
30-04-09, 04:11
Guys try not to worry too much. I know it’s easier said than done, and I have found this thread helpful despite the fact I suffer with HA too.

I am not feeling great, sore throat, tired, generally not feeling 100% BUT I am pretty sure it’s the other local cold that’s going around. The symptoms are very similar though and while not pleasant are made worse by worry and fear. You know we can actually talk ourselves into having things!
Remember we live in a different climate to where a lot of these viruses do their worst, and different climates in themselves can affect the way a particular strain works.

Anti viral drugs are not a miracle cure, if a normal person caught this, they would recover with rest, plenty of fluids and most importantly sleep! It’s when the body heals itself best. Medicines merely relieve symptoms and help the spread of infection by helping the person get better quicker, like already mentioned, they are usually given to people with VERY weak immune systems e.g people already chronically ill in hospitals.

A great way of making yourself strong is to have a good immune system. Doing simple things like eating fruit and veg, proper meals, exercise, the right vitamins and so on are better than any medicine. Loads of info on Google.
This isn’t a ‘28 Days Later’ scenario that it’s being made out to be. Even if there was 10,000 confirmed cases worldwide tomorrow, that’s still nothing. There are millions of people in London alone.

The good thing is with so much media coverage, it will make people stand up and take action. That’s technology compared to previous outbreaks - no one knew how or where it was spreading in the past.

Worst case? You start to feel quite ill and for a couple of days.. Ring NHS Direct, and if they think your condition is bad enough docs will treat you at home if you’re confirmed as having it, and within 1 week you will be right as rain and would have had rest and watched every daytime program going (Jeremy Kyle anyone? lol).

I know it’s not nice, but media works with propaganda. Look at each latest scandel in the govenerment for example. Big while it’s front page news, but soon forgotten.

We all have our fears and worries, and I bet there’s loads of people out there that don’t have our problems that are just as worried, but won’t admit it. We’re actually the brave ones.

Don’t worry, and just enjoy any sunshine we may get soon. :)

justbananas
30-04-09, 06:39
also - i find this article extremely comprehensive and should make a bunch of you feel better! i don't think this situation is a joke or just media hype as some might, - esp because i live in an area where there are so many cases and i'm seeing the first hand effects of it- but the scientific data is starting to point in favor of this all being ok. i think reading this might help more of you understand and feel better.

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-sci-swine-reality30-2009apr30,0,3606923.story

PUGLETMUM
30-04-09, 09:37
:yesyes: fantastic posts just bananas:yesyes:

PUGLETMUM
30-04-09, 10:10
:D with regards this subject the reason i got involved was because i prob never really knew how bad my health anxiety was in the past and it isnt something i readily get involved in on nmp - i know it is highly irrational -as is the fear of leaving your house or being alone - im one of those ppl and i guess there are loads, who has almost all the anxiety disorders running along side one another at any one time- i have only ever been free of anxiety when i was on prozac or for the 2 years my mum was dying of cancer, when my focus was so much on her i didnt have time or the inclination to worry about anything except her dying!

i wrote to reassure ppl that they are sufferign right now due to anxiety - when al th etlak of birdflu was going around - and my god how the media whipped that up - like another poster said i have not trusted them since - i stockpiled bottled water - that is how unhappy i was with my anxiety at the time:weep: but forward a couple of years - ive had cbt, and i am currently practising mindfulness as taught by jon kabat zinn -i have a bug of some sort, i have bought a thermometer, i am following the news - but i have not rang my docs, i have not rang nhs 24, i am not ill with panic, i am keeping it all in perspective, and i want other members who may be suffering a bit more with their anxieties, that the goal needs to be to reduce your irrational anxieties by accepting them, but ignoring them - this is choice - you do have a choice - you do not have to beleive the negative thougths that come into your brain! but also you do not have to be aplogetic for havign serious debilitating and depressing health anxiety - its only the same as havign social anxiety where ppl are crippled, agoraphobia where ppl are dependant and housebound, or having ocd where ppl are tormented and depressed at the irrational thougths they seem to have no control; over - the point i was trying to make was that to feel bad about having HA will only make it worse.

you accept you have it, you dont beleive it,a nd you actively work to beleive more helpful and balanced thoughts - which is what other members were attempting to do with their posts to wee mee and kittykat (i think it was kiitykat who is in scotland - sorry if you are someone else:wacko: )

another thing i would like to say is echoing eeyorelover - us health anx sufferers do now actually have something to worry about - its not just twinges and symptoms in our selves that we attribute to some hideous cancer or disease - this flu does exist now and the media as usual are loving it, and that is hard for us to deal with, please listen to the sensible information that is offered byt the government or scientists - the media use such dramatic words, its their job - think about how much they have whipped up the credit crunch - which i can confidently say has been mentione din th emedia every day since last summer - i now because i was miscarrying at the time and it didnt bother me because again i had something more important to deal with - and i actually have been very angry and mistrusting of the media regardign that topic too - but at another time when i was depressed and anxious all the time, i would have been imagining the worst, that beign us living in poverty and misery very soon.

the issue here isnt what crisis is going on in the world, its how you feel generally , every day, and i think as this life is very short, we all owe it to ourselves as important and special ppl no matter who we are, to deal with our anxieties as matter of top priority - you do not have to live your life in fear and dread, you can get well and be a happy person - please make this your focus in life, find whatever ways you can to get yourself to a point where the slightest thing does not freak you out - i am there now and i hope to get better and better as time goes on - hugs to everyone who is suffering right now- and encouragment that you can be free of your fears:hugs: :yesyes:

fairyloveheart
30-04-09, 10:43
I'm petriefied. I keep thinking I or someone in my family will get it and die....the news sucks....but I morbidly watch it...it was the death toll and predicted death toll figures that got me panicing...

kittykat
30-04-09, 10:49
Yep, tht got me as well, also when the person from WHO said this was a threat to all humanity, that really scared me.

PUGLETMUM
30-04-09, 12:14
:hugs: yes but guys this is where ignoring these statements and the images and thougths they create is crucial - it is so melodramatic and sensationalist - there is another more believable way of looking at this is you listen to the sensible advice/info - a pandemic could take 1-2 years to travel the globe - the anti-virals work - the normal flu is deadly anyway - they can have a vaccine very soon - nobody has died who wasnt mexican - all the facts are not known - the experts do look at the worst case scenario, thye have to they are paid to protect us and to take this seriously on our behalf - we live in the best time ever for medical care - this is not 1918!!!!! believe the balanced view,not the senstionalist view please!:yesyes:

eeyorelover
30-04-09, 12:53
I'm petriefied. I keep thinking I or someone in my family will get it and die....the news sucks....but I morbidly watch it...it was the death toll and predicted death toll figures that got me panicing...

Try though to put it in perspective.
For one thing, 149 people have died and that is a tragedy but only 20 of those cases have been confirmed to be from the swine flu. The others are suspected but not confirmed.
Also there are 1.2 million traffic accidents a year of which over a hundred people a day lose their lives.
90 people in the United States die from lightening strikes in the US every year!
Statistically you have a very slim chance of getting the swine flu!!!!
Consider that there are 6.77 billion people in the world!

I'm not posting this to give everyone yet another thing to be anxious about but I'm saying this isn't a global catastrophe!
It's the flu!!!! Bad strain but still treatable!
Thirdly, it's the media's job to sell a story. Sensationalism is the name of the game so honestly we all have to take even the news with a grain of salt.

bex1970
30-04-09, 14:18
Hello everyone - thought I'd add my tuppence ha'penny's worth. Not getting involved in the 'row' though as everyone entitled to their opinion/feelings...

Does anyone remember a 'pandemic' called SARs? It was about 2002 I think. Started in China? Spread, like wildfire, throughout Asia and even Europe got panicky?

WHO issued millions of 'threats to Global Humanity' warnings.... and people from Asia were not allowed to travel to Europe at all - without being monitored at airports for temperatures etc..... and actually the poverty stricken in China dropped like flies from it....

Can I just tell you where I was living at the time? Singapore..... which is the size of the Isle of Wight (i.e. really not big) with a population of 3,000,000 crammed onto a very small Island....where they had quite a few cases (only a few people died - and they were the very old and infirm).

Guess what - I'm still here..... and I have to tell you, it was worse than the Swine Flu, because they had to create a vaccine and a cure whilst it was going on..... and it was highly contagious..... Guess what, it died out within a couple of months.... because it was contained and dealt with. Just like Swine Flu will be....is....

We live in first world countries.... we have medicine to cope with it. And from what I've read and made sense of, it's like influenza in that it is more likely to affect the very young and the very old....not that that makes it ok but we (most of us) are in our prime of lives in that respect....

Fear is a very real thing and I totally understand people's fears but try and rationalise after you've had your initial panics.....

And Wee Mee - lovely girl - you have a nasty cold and a tummy ache!!! Horrid but not piggy flu...
xx

kate
30-04-09, 15:02
I don't feel that anyones fears about this flu should be played down. We are all here due to irrational fears afterall! :winks:

The facts are that this is just flu, nothing more. The people who have died have died from Pneumonia. During any winter flu outbreak in this country, people get Pneumonia as a secondary infection of flu and, unfortunately, some people do die from this.

The media always, always like to cause a panic, that is what sells newspapers/gets good viewing figures. Yes, a lot of people around the world may contract this particular strain of flu but most will recover within a week and most will not get Pneumonia.

If you are worried do not read newspapers or listen to the news, it will only feed your anxiety.

Kate

Mudskipper
30-04-09, 15:30
Quite interesting to look at the way 'normal' people deal with this kind of thing. To date, no-one I work with has so much as mentioned it, other than to send an amusing if rather rude picture by e-mail, showing how it may have started(I'd like to post it but it's rather beyond the pale!:winks: ). Otherwise, not a dicky-bird. Also, whilst browsing an enthusiast website earlier, I noticed someone had raised the topic in their off-topic forum. Six responses he got, all of them humorous. One claimed to have tried the NHS advice phoneline but got nothing but crackling...:wacko:

Oh to be normal...

PUGLETMUM
30-04-09, 16:10
:winks: well the way i see it - i dont want to be 'normal' whatever that is - i already am normal - my normal:yesyes:

scarecrow
30-04-09, 16:20
Quite interesting to look at the way 'normal' people deal with this kind of thing. To date, no-one I work with has so much as mentioned it, other than to send an amusing if rather rude picture by e-mail, showing how it may have started(I'd like to post it but it's rather beyond the pale!:winks: ). Otherwise, not a dicky-bird. Also, whilst browsing an enthusiast website earlier, I noticed someone had raised the topic in their off-topic forum. Six responses he got, all of them humorous. One claimed to have tried the NHS advice phoneline but got nothing but crackling...:wacko:

Oh to be normal...

I know what you mean. My husband isnt bothered at all by it, he says there's nothing to worry about. I say to him "I wish I could be like you". But then because he's not worried it bothers me because I know he wont take special precautions if it comes to it like not shaking hands with people and washing your hands alot, and that will make me fearful as I am completely the opposite to him, I suffer badly with HA, now on Citalopram because of my HA. He is sympathetic to me but cant understand why I have so much anxiety. I wish I could be like him :unsure:

claire m
30-04-09, 16:27
:winks: well the way i see it - i dont want to be 'normal' whatever that is - i already am normal - my normal:yesyes:

emma i love that quote!:yesyes:.

if i was "normal" then i wouldnt be me!

sunshine-lady
30-04-09, 16:29
I do not have HA but do have OCD and one of my main issues with OCD is germs and hygiene. I am not over concerned about swine flu and like others have said you are more likely to get run over by a bus than catch the virus.

I go to a resource centre and I know some people do not wash their hands after using the loo .. especially men (sorry guys). At the resource centre they have brought in hand cleaning gel and boxes of tissues, (not because of the swine flu), which I am pleased to say that people are using. I just hope that this educates people about how important basic personal hygiene is.

claire m
30-04-09, 16:35
I go to a resource centre and I know some people do not wash their hands after using the loo .. especially men (sorry guys). At the resource centre they have brought in hand cleaning gel and boxes of tissues, (not because of the swine flu), which I am pleased to say that people are using. I just hope that this educates people about how important basic personal hygiene is.

that is a very good point sunshine lady i am forever going on at my kids about washing their hands,i have not wanted to force it upon them but have always explained to them how its good manners to cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
the one good thing out of this is hopefully more people taking care of their basic hygiene.

today in the shop where i work a older guy just sneezed right out without covering up swine flu or no swine flu. that was just bad manners.

PUGLETMUM
30-04-09, 17:15
:wacko: :lac: yes all the so called 'normal' ppl i know dont have as good hygeine standards as i do!!!! im not obsessive - but i dont like the thought of dirty hands in the kitchen, i dont like a dirty toilet, but im not excessive - i dont clean everyday except my kitchen sides and toilet, but i do wash my hands alot just because i dont like having dirty hands - however the ppl in my family wash their hands with cold water! they dont use much soap! and they rely on me to clean the toilet and kitchen etc - i get my husband to vacume as i dont think he should get away with housework completely - sorry i digress:blush:

point is i agree with you guys who dont see good hygeine standards as wrong - and actually think more realxed, non-worriers are the sneezers and coughers who dont have a tissue to hand!!!!!! if all the world was made up of us, these bugs wouldnt spread in the first place!!!!!:winks:

claire m
30-04-09, 17:24
i do think i wash my hands alot more as im the one making meals, cleaning, hoovering, doing the beds cleaning the bathrooms and looking after the dogs......come to think of it maybe my husband doesnt wash his hands so much because he never needs to! lol.

emma30982
30-04-09, 17:57
please all relax your be fine big hug emma

Greg1983
30-04-09, 19:31
I have started to feel ill and think its swine flu. someone i work with has been away (not Mexico, Japan) and he has had the flu. Now i think i have swine flu!

nomorepanic
30-04-09, 19:47
Jaxon - it is highly unlikely but your doctor can do a test and then it can be treated. They will be very busy though so unless you are really sure it is not just a bad cold/normal flu they may not appreciate you turning up to see them.

bottleblond
30-04-09, 19:49
Swine flu is from Mexico not Japan.
Those in britain who had it have made FULL recoveries.
They said it is very mild here and not fatal.

Please please people...try not to worry!!!!

Lisa
x

Hollytree
30-04-09, 19:49
Hey Jaxon,

I think with this particular case its hard to say who will be affected by swine flu and how many, we just don't no yet. I would say that we must all try and not get to hysterical about this. I live not far from the girl who has it in Torbay in Devon, she is doing well to the anti viral drug Tamiflu. Which is a positive sign that the virus is responding to treatment. This morning I woke up with a runny nose and I was sneezing, but I'm not rushing to the doctor, it certainly hasn't amounted to much. If of course my symptom's get worse and I start feeling crappy of course I would ring the surgery asap, which is know different to what anyone else would do, my advice is if you are worried, call the doctors surgery. :bighug1:

Greg1983
30-04-09, 20:15
I know its probably not swine flu as he says he is fine. He just mentioned his wife has flu. I think i feel i'll as i only had about 4 hours sleep last night, up watching TV about Swine Flu outbreaks.

Hollytree
30-04-09, 20:34
The thing is that we can catch 'normal' flu and of course you can just get a common cold, that can be pretty awful sometimes. I think because of the media coverage at the moment we are all focused on it. If it was about something else, we'd all focus on that. Just look back at the BSE crisis and salmonella in eggs.

diane07
30-04-09, 20:39
Yeah hollytree i agree, i remember them well.
There is always gonna be something in the media for people to focus on, i just don't watch the news anymore as it gets people down.

di xx

scarecrow
30-04-09, 21:01
There's nothing for anyone to worry about in the UK at this stage, there's not been any person to person infection as yet, all the cases so far in this country have been people that have travelled to Mexico. Were all okay at the moment in the UK. :bighug1:to you all. Also the Summer months are not far away so the flu should disappear for those months and may come back when seasonal flu starts and by then they may have the vaccine all ready to go. Try and keep thinking positive guys. :)

scarecrow
30-04-09, 21:14
Forgot to mention - the bit about the Summer months and the flu disappearing was said by that Proffesor Pennington. I didn't make it up. Summer months is not the time for flu.

mummyto4
30-04-09, 23:09
May sound stupid but I think that this flu has been in the UK for a few months and some of us may have already had it. I remember around Nov last year and Jan - Feb this year the horrible flu virus that was going around. I had it for 2 months and couldn't shake it the amount of people that had it over that period of time too. Not just the odd few friends here and there either, many many people. Even though most of us just accepted we had 'the flu' and got on with it, I wonder how many of us were tested for H1N1 flu! It wasn't like any other type of flu I have ever had in the past I know that much. Apparently, after reading many many reports on this, this flu has been in Mexico since Christmas time and hasn't been reported! It could have been in all these countries for months with people just assuming its the flu. I have had 'proper' flu twice in my life (I am 41) not just a heavy cold but proper flu and I felt dreadful, the first time I was hallucinating with it and the 2nd time nov 08 to Feb 09 and have never ever had any kind of swab or test to find out what kind of virus it is or may be! Makes you wonder eh! This is scaremongering by the media at its best and it isnt fair as we are a nation of worriers and this just makes us worse.

PUGLETMUM
01-05-09, 10:23
:shrug: hhhmmmm i tend to agree with the last post -i have just felt a bit crap all week - i had the runs and felt very very sick and off - also headache, soreish throat and cold symptoms, not to mention my whiole back aching - but it was the runs that got me - how have i got that? and also why have a got this bug anyway - i dint know anything was going round, i havent got a clue why there is cold/bugs at the moment -seems an odd time to be ill. however saying that i wouldnt say i was ill - just rough - im sure if i had swine flu i would know about it? but it does seem weird that it can jus tturn up suddenly - also someone does have it off the askoms - however i think this is a ridiculous thing to say - because how did the ppl who came back from mexico catch it? - from other humans ofcourse!!!!! so wha t aload of rubbish - if it comes into this country it will spread unknown i would have thought? it does all start to sound suspicious - and the only reason there is any hype is becasue ppl have died in mexico - but again on msn'd homepage they are quoting figures of how many could die here - why do they do this? like the previous poster said we are all a nation of worriers, not just us. when we have petrol problems look at the behaviour of the ppl in this country then - i wasnt one of them - but i kno wppl who panicked - id rather worry about my health than about petrol!!!!!

this is just a wait and see situation obviously - but i think one of the best things you can do is get a thermometer - then no matter how bad you feel unless your temp is high enough you really dont have to worry - thats what i did to calm myself down - mine was always within the normal range, although on the high side, but not 38c which is when you would ring the docs/nhs direct. there is no point pestering the nhs unless you have a high temp, just remember that?:yesyes:

claire.xx
01-05-09, 16:19
I got back from mexico yesterday, 5 days before we should have. Today i have an headache and temperature is slightly raised. i have had a test and told to stay indoors. Im not worried if i have the actual virus, its treatable but i am worried about my asthma with this and pneumonia

justbananas
01-05-09, 17:17
claire - don't worry, even if that were the cause i'm sure the docs would give you preventative antibiotics in light of your asthma.

in other news, i went to dinner with a work associate last night and she was coughing incessantly. when i finally inquired as to whether she was okay, she replied 'oh yeah i'm fine i've just been layed up with the flu all week and i'm talking to my doc about whether it's the swine flu, etc'

WTF???????????? if people are going to be that rude and ignorant to be out and about with flu symptoms, that is the problem. i am very thoughtful of others and have had a bug lately so am refusing to go out in public very often and when i do, i don't touch anything, wash hands constantly etc. why are people so stupid and thoughtless? seriously.

claire.xx
01-05-09, 17:26
Hasnt she been advised to stay indoors?? i have and i havnt had it confirmed if it is. that really is irresponsible. like i said im not that worried which im happy to say - i have been doing well with my HA lately so surely not getting worried is a huge step in the right direction lol il just have to wait and see the result in a day or two

justbananas
01-05-09, 17:38
um yes i'm sure she was but because some people are just rude and ignorant, i guess they don't care how they affect others. swine flu or not - having symptoms like that and going around others is highly irresponsible. i'm really mad about it.

scarecrow
01-05-09, 18:33
[quote=scarecrow;494161]There's nothing for anyone to worry about in the UK at this stage, there's not been any person to person infection as yet, all the cases so far in this country have been people that have travelled to Mexico. Were all okay at the moment in the UK.

I spoke to soon. Sorry.

SleeplessFog
01-05-09, 18:41
Ever since this stuff came out, I have been highly aware of just how gross some people are in public around here.

Of course, I have always been cautious of germs seeing as how I grew up with a sibling with a compromised immune system, so yeah, being extra clean is normal for me.

Its amazing how many people sneeze on stuff or keep going to work sick! I guess I shouldn't say anything about the last one, here in the US people work sick often because some can't afford to be off! So I guess they aren't really being inconsiderate.

PUGLETMUM
02-05-09, 10:12
:yesyes: claire, i just want to say a massive well done to you for having conquered your HA - i would say you have definately done that - you are in a situation that many of us on here would dread? have they given you tamiflu, or have they said you only need to take it if you get symptoms? i hope you are okay and if you do have it that you have it mild like the others - sure this is the case as at the mo it seems to be mild in anyone except mexicans?

there is no need for panic even if it does become a proper pandemic - at the mo its mild, is responding to tamiflu and by the autumn they will have a vaccine - take care claire and let us know how you get on? sorry you had to shorten your holiday:lac:

btw - yes i agree that ppl who dont worry about contagious illness are the ones who spread it!!!!!:mad:

claire.xx
02-05-09, 13:15
im feeling quite rough today really bad head and throat they gave me tamiflu this morning as im showing classic signs. im not realy worried as it can be treated and to be honest i just feel like i have a cold. i will say to to everybody dont worry its only mild the only thing im bothered about is missing a great holiday coming home soon

Skyline On Fire
02-05-09, 14:16
claire when are your test reslults due back?

not that im worried for you, its nothing as we all know :)

im just really curious to talk to someone who has it!

claire.xx
02-05-09, 14:29
i get my results monday but they said that it will only confirm it. im just staying home, got my famhly treated who iv been in contact with so its just a case of recovering now!

Wee-Mee
02-05-09, 19:29
I sneezed twice on the bus today,covered my nose and mouth obviously but there was a woman with her little boy sitting right infront of me and a man to the side of me and after I sneezed,he gave me a squint and the woman slowly turned round and looked at me with a concerned look(I think she thought I was the exorcist or something)

It seems those "normal" folk are just the same now with worrying. ;)

Hope you're alright claire

xx

Skyline On Fire
02-05-09, 20:27
its surreal how of all the people in the world you, on a panic and anxiety forum, gets it! the irony!

good to know your doing okay. so was it as bad as the regular flu? worse? less severe?

claire.xx
02-05-09, 21:20
Well iv been well for the past few month and just come on here cos i knew there would be something posted about it. honestly i have asthma so my chest is abit sore but the worse part is the chills and the aches. i have it mild but really dont worry everybody its just like the regular flu in its mild form. i know its easy to say but im living proof and know how hard it is worrying. please dont if you get it you will be fine

Skyline On Fire
02-05-09, 21:35
thats great news and thankyou for coming on and reassuring us all! appreciated from everyone i belive.

speedy recovery xx

claire.xx
02-05-09, 22:42
Well iv seen the media hype over it, i know it is not a good thing to have but i dont want people thinking its a death sentence, it isnt nice, i wont lie but IF you do happen to get it which is unlikely, i only have it cos i have been to mexico, you will be fine and get treated. il get back on when im recovered and let you all know. dont worry people x

Dinkysdouble
03-05-09, 09:45
Im glad im not alone. I have a bit of a dodgy throat and achy neck and arms fuzzy head and seem to be getting worse and to make it worse my nephew got sent from school sick so now obviously has to be swine flu. the whole thing scares me to death and i just hope it is all media hype just like it was with bird flu. im terrified iv got it

Hi from a lurker :)

The above post is dated 28/04/09 so extremely short trip to Mexico.

On the news last night, there were 12 cases confirmed in UK - you are possibly not no.13 - hopefully you can overcome your anxiety re this flu and you will be ok.

I lurk due to my live-in grandson having H.A. and OCD and this site has been en0rmously beneficial which I thank you for, but I see discrepencies in your posting here which is misleading to many.

All the best

Chris :D

Hollytree
03-05-09, 13:37
what is going on with these posts, why are they being deleted?

bottleblond
03-05-09, 14:32
Holly

They have been deleted pending Admin review.
Admin have decided that is is not in members best interest to leave the above posts on this thread.

Lisa
x

Greg1983
04-05-09, 08:50
See Mexico have reported that cases are dropping. Aslo saw that the WHO have said europe are handling the cases very well.

Chrismascray
04-05-09, 09:46
In a word NO, Most of it is hype, it is a long list of things that are going to kill us all, more mexicans die on the roads each day than have died of this flu, it is getting less as it travels as well, no, there might and say MIGHT be the odd fatality, BUT the media wont tell you if that person had other things wrong with them, we as HA sufferers have a lot to deal with, DO NOT add this to the list, it is Media driven and suits the politicians, ask yourself where has the credit crisis gone? why arent we al crashing the gates of the Governments? wel because now we are all scared of Flu, anyone else think it is co incidence?

mummyto4
04-05-09, 10:46
I 100% agree with the above post. Its all hype by the media and it is not fair. I suffer with HA but this one I refuse to let frighten me.

scarecrow
04-05-09, 18:48
I just wondered how you got on with your test Claire? I have been thinking about you, hopefully it turned out negative for you. (I hope it's okay me asking this)

Charlottie
04-05-09, 23:14
See how fast the media have forgotten about it? It's not even front page news anymore, all a load of hype it was.

viremarthius
05-05-09, 00:20
The Media makes us way too afraid.

viremarthius
05-05-09, 00:22
Check this out...not even that big of a deal anymore.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/04/swine.flu.main/index.html

They must be getting desperate for news.

sunndyd
01-06-09, 20:52
im not worried i had the flu the beguinin of the yr that really knocked me for six! they say that its not as bad as the proper flu

Wee-Mee
01-06-09, 23:26
my partner(ex partner/partner dunno really) phoned and warned me to keep an eye out for signs as he was at a football match on saturday there that had fans that apparantly soon after caught swine flu and he has just came down with a ******* of a cold and was at hospital..they said they thing it is just a really bad cold but yeah..got me worried again..my dad is just out of hospital...dont want him cathching this for pitys sake.

LisaLisa
03-06-09, 10:29
Weemee

Just to say - hope iam not saying something that someone already has - cant beleive there are sooooooooo many replies on this thread!!

Just that i heard that they have made the vaccine for swine flu now. So i would hope that we will all get given it before the flu spreads to any extent . I worry about it too. You would kind of think though that even in a busy football match with realistically if two people had it, they would only really be in close contact for any lentgh of time with the folks sitting directly beside them and those people would not have had time to both catch it and become contagious in 90 mins to then pass it around a wider group.

And chances are the folks right beside them where with them anyway so your man would probably be at next to no risk atall.

Try not to worry luv and ill try harder too!!

Lisa
xxx:hugs:

Anxious_gal
14-07-09, 19:19
didn't want to start a new post. but my friend wants me to go with her to Edinburgh , I want to go but I'm not sure if its a good idea with Scotland having such a high number of people infected with swine flue.
I've been searching the Internet for hours for travel information.
I would also be on a 30 minute flight too.
am I over reacting? or would it be stupid to fly and go to Edinburgh ?

cheekycharlie
19-07-09, 11:34
Lozzyjay, I am sure you would feel a lot worse if you did have it. Just try & calm down & think about it rationally. You started to get these symptoms after what your mum said to you, yes? well surely that tells you something then. I am sure you will be ok. I have had flu (normal flu) & they say you feel the same & I felt like cr@p when I had that, I couldn't even get out of bed with no energy so if you don't feel like that then I am sure you are ok. If symptoms do get worse however, send someone to get you a thermometer just to check your temp. Hope you feel better soon. xxxx

Mondie
19-07-09, 12:41
I have a bad cold at the moment, (sore throat, sneezing, runny nose etc) but I don't have a temperature at all so I DON'T have swine flu. You need to understand that there are also colds etc going round at the minute too, so even if you are feeling a bit ill it doesn't necessarily mean it's swine flu.

I have only had flu once in my life and that made me so poorly (completely bed bound for over a week) at the moment I feel rubbish and achy, but I can get on with my daily life of sorts. I'm guessig you can't with swine flu.

Get a thermometer so you can gauge if you have a cold or the flu.

Take care