PDA

View Full Version : Best way to cure agrophobia?

Lawton86
27-04-09, 14:49
Hey guys,

Im just wondering what the best way it to cure agrophobia. I have read on many websites that its just to do little chunks that u feel happy with each day and start to progress on that ( this is what i have mainly been doing in the last 7 days)

But on a number of other websites it basically says the little chunks may help abit, but if you put yourself in a situation that you dont like for a couple of hours ur anxiety will come to its fullest and then start to subside again...which is what you need.

So little 10-15 mins walks a day, or get ona bus and go to town for an hour or two begging that i dont have a panic attack.

eeyorelover
27-04-09, 15:54
I think the key is to push yourself a little but not so much that it scares the crap out of you!
LOL

I was completely housebound at one point so I started just by sitting on my own porch.
Then when I felt comfortable doing that I stretched it to walking around my yard, then down the lane, around the block, etc.

I really take issue with throwing yourself in a situation and basically making yourself have a full on attack!

I don't see how doing something that would be so traumatizing could ever be viewed as a good thing.

Of course being uncomfortable and feeling anxious will happen and I'm not saying to run away from that I'm just saying that slowly and methodically was better for me!
xxx
Sandy

Dizzy-Dave
27-04-09, 16:18
Small steps every day I think is the best. I can now goto the shop every day but I still cant goto town.

I was about to order a taxi and do it for the first time in 8 months but I've now become stuck. I cant get out of my chair.

I think town is a big thing for alot agoraphobes. Defo will involve anxiety until you get there.

mysonmarcus
27-04-09, 17:49
I think there is very good information written here, agoraphobics choosing the little and often approach to exposure is their preferred method.

Lots of information that has been written regarding 'not to avoid'....and 'carry on in spite of the fear' have missed the mark.

The approach of the sufferer to being freer with the movements lies in them allowing your anxiety levels to fall below the mid mark.

At this point there are small but noticable internal urges (not obligations to get well) to 'go out'............ the green light is on...........anxiety is still present but the intrusive thoughts have quietened maybe due to a period of staying within a comfort zone or due to medicines....this is important .

The sufferer should note that it takes up to 3 weeks to quieten the mind enough for the anxiety to drop to the mid-level or lower. Once at this level fears are smaller. If your fears are NOT smaller and your mind is filled with discouraging chatter then your anxiety level is still too high....allow more time and examine your approach...........it will be flawed.

Dave, from the few words in your post about your approach, you have missed the first steps, thats all, the determination is there, but you looking at doing what an individual who is well takes for granted but your feelings are highly on edge, even if you managed 'town', the gain would be temporary.

Think of recovery like a diet.............. you need to lose 3 stone but you dont chop your leg off to do it (hurt yourself)!!! The dieter manages their calories = the anxious person quietens their thoughts................the dieter leaves certain foods out altogether...............= the anxious person leaves out certain places altogether .......... the dieter has a specific time frame to lose the weight.......... = the anxious person needs a similar time frame.

The dieter knows he/she has to do this strictly, specifically and in order = the anxious person should do likewise.

In the Successes thread a guy called Simon wrote out his blueprint for recovery............. EXACTLY how he recovered.

..........................what steps are YOU skipping?

Very best regards.

Mark

eeyorelover
27-04-09, 18:03
Great analogy Mark!
Adding to that someone who feels the need to diet would be more successful starting with small goals, 20 pounds for example. Same is true with agoraphobia.Instead of saying I have to get over this and trying to walk a mile, start small and build your confidence!
It's easier to build on a small success than it is to recoup from a goal that wasn't met!

Dizzy-Dave
27-04-09, 18:08
Errrr watch my videos Mark.

I've gone from leaving the street, to going to the shop, to going to the hospital, to going to the supermarket.

Isn't this what you would call gradual steps ?

And what step have I missed ?

i know exaclty what causes my anxiety.

Dizzy-Dave
27-04-09, 18:19
Ok sorry that's the wrong attitude.

I've just re-read your post Mark,
are you saying that by not being able to call a taxi that i'm not quite ready as my mind is still clutterd ? If so then it makes sense.

I have my coat on and everything. I even just had a drink and i dont drink.
Now i dont feel totally in control. Its horrible weather. It's all pointing to a very unpleasant time in town.