PDA

View Full Version : Swine flu, Tamiflu and meds?

MessedUp
27-04-09, 15:27
If this swine flu gets out of hand, does anyone know if Tamiflu plays nicely with our typical meds?

Plus, I don't like the sound of this : "Tamiflu, the anti-viral drug manufactured by the Swiss Roche Holdings, has been linked to abnormal behavior, with most of the incidents involving children. Deaths have resulted from falls from windows and balconies and by running into traffic, possibly because of hallucinations. Patients have also suffered from delirium and some have committed suicide. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recently required the manufacturer to add a warning (http://www.fda.gov/medwaTCH/safety/2006/Tamiflu_dhcp_letter.pdf) that patients taking Tamiflu should be carefully monitored for this kind of behavior. "
http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/drug-toxic_chemicals/tamiflu-warning-risks.htm

ta :)

eeyorelover
27-04-09, 15:33
If you click on the link you provided in your quote the issues were with mostly pediatric patients and mostly in Japan.

Also you got the info from a law firm website who obviously specializes in injury law so I wouldn't take what is posted as the gospel truth.
;)

NoPoet
27-04-09, 15:34
What I will say is this: the media loves a calamity, and they regularly inflate the severity of illnesses to scare people. The media controls our world. Don't believe me? How many people do you know who died of mad cow diesease or bird flu? Weren't they supposed to be the next disasters?

Don't waste too much time worrying about swine flu. It's another scare story that has got out of hand. While I regret that people have died because of it, the fatality rate is very low.

You are more likely to find a genuine end of the world prediction in the verses of Nostradamus than you are in today's newspapers...

eeyorelover
27-04-09, 15:43
I went a-googling and found foods that are supposed to be good anti virals!
Check these out...
Cranberry Juice
Green Tea
Garlic
Resveratrol - in red grapes and raisins
Apple Juice

Also vitamins E and C are anti virals.

Here is the link...
http://www.bird-flu-influenza.com/relenza-tamiflu-alternatives-folk-medicines-antivirals.htm

No harm in adding more foods to our diets that are naturally anti viral :)

Little Miss Anxious
27-04-09, 16:03
I agree that the media do overplay things - granted if there is a health scare we should be made aware of it so we can take sensible precautions & know the symptoms if anything does happen but to listen to the news today you would think we will all be told to stay indoors soon & paint crosses on our doors whenever someone in the house gets infected !! Sometimes the news stories just serve to cause mad panic.

I believe people are allready cancelling travel plans to holiday resorts in Mexico over 800 miles from where the illness has broken out when the home office havent even advised that it is necessary - fair enough they might if it gets worse but so far they have just told people to take precautions. I also beleive that many airports in Latin America are screening incoming & outgoing passangers as a precautionary meausure so that is a step towards contining it.

As the previous post says we were all going to get infected with bird flu, mad cow disease, SARS & goodness knows what else in the last 20 years. Yes granted these things have killed people but I dont think we need worry too much at this point.

tracy.splosh
27-04-09, 17:34
As a country and indeed a world we are in the worst financial position at the moment and Alistar Darling has just delivered a nasty budget which means that the government have to find something else to try and take our minds off what we really need to worry about and that is this terrible government we have.

Add on the fact that the media hypes things up then of course we get worried. Im not going to let this panic me at the moment.

Then again........................

I could be wrong and this time next week or so it could be a problem and then we will have to look at it again. Im just glad im not off to Mexico.

Tracy