PDA

View Full Version : Tips for exercise

bananarbabe
30-12-03, 18:04
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have some suggestions for types of exercise they did while recovering from panic attacks? Before having panic attacks I use to do a lot of running, and dance. I feel so drained right now that I don't feel I can do that kind of stuff yet so I've just been doing a lot of walking. But it's boring me.

Thanks,

Christine

nomorepanic
30-12-03, 21:14
Hi Chris

I do a lot of swimming and an aerobics class. This isn't a high-intensive class - it is part of the Rosemary Conley diet classes - so you work at your own pace.

I find a swim helps me with panic cos I need to breathe properly whilst I am doing it.

Just a thought

Nicola

benoo5
31-12-03, 00:17
hi christine,

not easy to advise,as i dont know your age,height,weight,or have your medical record to hand,but if everything is hunky dory,so to speak...then a good rosemary conley video,is a good start..she combines good nutrition,with exercise,that way,you get fit,and lose weight ,at the same time.

ime a great believer in..step ups..just walk up the first three steps of your stairs,and down again,in repetitions of ten.

there is also a great dance video around,comes complete with a mat..watch the video,and follow the steps on the mat..good fun,and gets you really fit.

hope this helps..best wishes..bryan.

uryjm
31-12-03, 08:05
Cycling - a lot less boring than walking. And I don't mean an exercise bike as you can't get much more boring than that! Go at your own pace, feel that fresh air in your face while your body gets a good workout. Wrap up well at this time of the year though.

Jim

kate
31-12-03, 10:38
Bryan

I've just remembered my daughter has a dance mat, will dig that out later and get moving! Also like the "steps up" idea, will be trying that as well!

Kate x

Rennie1989
03-01-04, 18:09
Kate

I do deep breathing before an attack comes. try that and see if it works

Jade

benoo5
03-01-04, 18:31
hi jade,

deep breathing will only help,if its done correctly....breathing from the diaphram,not the chest...also making sure the outbreath is longer,than the inbreath,meg says..breathe in to a count of 4,and breathe out to a count of 6...this balances the flow of oxygen,and carbon dioxide..and will relax you..hope this helps..bryan.

Matt
04-01-04, 02:05
Agree with the above! Walking is good if you have someone to walk with and have a chat too! Also get to see some amazing views!

Like Nic said I have found that swimming forces you to breath reguly! Thats the hardest one to start I found though do to havin to get into swimmin trunks! lol

I also do a cycle which hopefully I'll get back to once the days get a bit lighter!! Again great views and feel good after!

m

rick
04-01-04, 06:59
I always liked chasing the neighbors cat with a shovel...

Oopss -

It's late, and time to go to bed!!!

Love to all. nitey nite

Rick

nomorepanic
04-01-04, 19:20
Rick - how could you - I have 3 cats :-)

Matt - I gave up on the vanity reasons for not swimming. No-one cares and no-one looks at you in that way. I am overweight too but how can you lose weight if you don't swim and exercise.

People don't point fingers and laugh anymore - everyone is much more sympathetic to those with weight problems.

Anyway - who cares - they don't know me!

Nicola

benoo5
04-01-04, 20:06
you tell em nic,

us fellas want a real woman to cuddle..not a bag of bones:)

to be honest,just one that breathes,would suit me.

best wishes..bryan.

rick
05-01-04, 13:58
I like cats, I really do!!.... Sort of.

I guess someone pulled the plug on some of the international internet connections yesterday, couldn't access the site from over here. All other sites came up fine. Hmmm

Exercise is one of the silver bullets for panic attacks. Of that, there is no question. When we start physically engrossed, its hard to be scared, as your body is too busy doing other things.

FYI, for those who have been so kindly following ma around here - I've gone three days so far without a full blown attack. Hope I didn't just jinx myself! I've had a fair amount of anxiety here and there, but so far, been able to quell it without meds (other than the xanax after attack of thursday (See constant panic attacks for those who are unfamilar with me - you'll learn LOTS more about me than you'd care to know!!!:))

We start back to work today after a two week holiday, so the axiety may increase there, you know, fear of a PA at the plant, etc... On the upside, the flu bug is FINALLY starting to slowly wear off, so that helps too.

Probably the biggest help so far, though, has been to acknowledge certain personal issues and matters of faith, and that has helped trememdously. Hopefully, we'll stay on the uphill path with this panic stuff, but as work time approaches today, don't be surprised to find be here shivering and crying like a wet puppy!!!!

You all are great, and love you all!

Rick

Meg
05-01-04, 14:22
Hi Rick,

We couldn't get onto the forum yesterday pm either ....

Exercising uses all your excess adrenaline, so it's not present to create the battery of anxious symptoms afterwards.

Thinking of you this afternoon Rick.

I'm glad you've recognised and are dealing with your issues.. They are usually at the root of most peoples real acute panic stages which then gets taken over by chronic anxiety.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
05-01-04, 14:29
Give me a dog anytime!!!

I love jogging very therapeutic and good for you!! (not that i do it that often it is too dark!!!

Bryan - GRRRRR Just cause women are thin doesn't make any less of a 'real' women - huh

Love
Lucky

Lottie32
05-01-04, 15:05
I finally stopped talking about it and just did it.

My local council leisure centre does a membership for less than £30 a month.

It includes unlimited use of the gym (cardio and resistance), swimming, squash courts and most of the classes.

Its warm, inside, and you can do as much or as little as you like.

I only joined on a casual and pay for each session as I go, cos I didn't know if I would stick it out, but I have and I really enjoy it now. I particularly enjoy Sunday afternoons when I go with my friend, and we sort of challenge each other to see who can do the most/fastest/heaviest etc.

Check out the local council facilities, join as a casual, and see if there is anything there that lights your fire.

Good luck

Charlie

Laurie28
05-01-04, 15:11
Hiya charlie,

Welcome back!!

I'm glad you are still enjoying the gym and sticking at it!!

Love
lucky

benoo5
05-01-04, 17:30
welcome back charlie..will be mailing you 2nite !

lucky..in london,the men all go for slim women,so i thought it was time,for someone to stick up for the not-so-slim ladies,as they have lots to offer as well.

best wishes..bryan.

nomorepanic
05-01-04, 21:26
quote:Originally posted by rick

I like cats, I really do!!.... Sort of.

I guess someone pulled the plug on some of the international internet connections yesterday, couldn't access the site from over here. All other sites came up fine. Hmmm

Glad to hear you like them sort of ;)

There was a problem with the message forum last night and it was not fixed until 10 am today. Out of my control I am afraid - the hosting company had problems with their servers. Sorry about that.

Nicola

Matt
08-01-04, 22:25
quote:Originally posted by benoo5

you tell em nic,

us fellas want a real woman to cuddle..not a bag of bones:)

to be honest,just one that breathes,would suit me.

best wishes..bryan.

Agreed bryan!:D but either way fat or thin its what the person is actually like that counts! :D

thebronko
08-01-04, 23:00
If you are scared of exercise and are struggling to go out, invest in an exercise bike....but dont put it in a room or in a cupboard, leave it up in the living room in full view.

anytime you feel breathless or sleepy... pull yourself together, tell yourself you are going to fight this thing and start peddling...you will start to breath more regular and when you stop you will feel better...honest...i done it this evening...am now hyper..LOL

bought the bike from Tesco at half price....(good bike)

Keep Well
Robert

Meg
08-01-04, 23:10
Nice one Robert . Keep it going.

My partner bought a punch bag , stuck it up on the third floor and has hardly used it at all even though he HAD to get it ...

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...