PDA

View Full Version : Have to make myself be sick to get rid of choking feeling..

PoppyC
27-04-09, 18:53
Hi
I have a fear of choking,like a lot of people do, and I avoid certain foods, like fish, due to the bones. I find I can be eating and then experience a feeling in the back of my throat which makes me think I have something stuck in it. I start to then feel like I am going to gag and have to go and make myself be sick and then usually after that I am fine. This has been going on for about a year and a half, on and off. I dont make myself be sick very often - its just sometimes. I had to do this last night, because I really thought I had something in my throat. It really feels like I have something trapped, however I am not sure if it is anxiety just making me feel the sensation.The citalopram that I am taking is not helping with this problem although it has helped with a lot of my anxiety.
Has anyone else had to make themselves sick to get rid of the choking feeling? or I am just 'odd'? :wacko:

Worrier
27-04-09, 23:55
Hey Poppy,

Well I never make myself sick (because I am scared of choking while doing that) but I completely understand the whole stuck in the throat thing. I have adjusted what I eat a lot over the last 9 months or so. Not really any stringy meat, stringy melted cheese, spaghetti or noodles (which I love) and stuff like that because I always feel that those things will go part way down and get stuck (if that makes sense).

I did go out for dinner on Saturday and had a pork chop (which is highly unusual) and managed to eat about 1/3 of it in really small pieces. Hubby got the rest. It is a nightmare and very hard to control.

I just wanted to let you know that there are other people who have the "choking" thing, we just all deal with it in different ways.

Hang in there and know you are not alone.

Take care
Natalie x

PoppyC
28-04-09, 00:28
Hi Natalie
Thanks for your helpful message! :)
Like you I dont eat stringy type foods either, and I love spaghetti, but just cannot eat it for the same reason of choking :scared15:
You would think I would be worried about choking making myself be sick but for some strange reason that doesnt bother me :wacko:
I try really hard not to make myself sick but sometimes the gagging action is too strong. Today I have really bad acid and I am sure its due to me being sick last night. I know I am going to have to stop doing this because I dont want to causing myself any problems. I just wish this choking fear would go away - my anxiety has really become really reduced due to my medication, but the choking fear has not eased.
Thank you for your reply - I appreciate it! :)

Kerrigan
19-06-09, 21:02
I really feel for you but please try resist the urge to induce sickness to get rid of the choking sensation because this could lead to complications and even though you loose all sense of rationality when you have a fear like choking the truth is by making yourself sick you are increasing that risk because it puts stress on the throat and brings up stomach acids not to mention dehydrating and traumatising you by going through self-induced vomiting.

If you had anything stuck in your throat you would automatically cough, it's quite sensitive and the body is made to be resilient, if a problem did arise when eating you'd be better off learning the hiemlick maneouvre which you can do on yourself and rely on your natural defences which will keep you calm and safe.

:hugs:

CorneliusRuperTravis
14-07-09, 20:42
I often got an awful gagging feeling in the back of my throat. I rarely actually gag, but I can feel it just sitting dormant in the background. It's really horrible, and i'm scared of eating when I get it.