PDA

View Full Version : GAD

binashubby
28-04-09, 18:22
Hi Guys,
Its been a while since I last posted, but things have not gotten any better. I thought it was panic attacks, but it seems more like GAD now. I just can't get myself out of the feeling of doomsday is approaching rapidly, and how much happier I would be out of it !!
Any suggestions ?
Thanks
Paul

starlight78
28-04-09, 19:55
Hi Paul, I'm sorry your not feeling any better.. How long have you been struggling and what have you already tried?
I had a very bad panic attack about 2 months ago which moved to general anxiety which permeated the day. I work in mental health so I know alot of the tips and therapies that help, but i must say it has still been a bit of a slog and many times i've felt like i couldn't struggle on.
I have to say now though that i'm feeling preety much 90% better and it feels great to be enjoying life again. I read Susan Jeffers and Clare weekes books cover to cover, stayed active and busy, and most of all believed that I would get better with time. xx

MaWi69
28-04-09, 20:16
To be honest I find going for a long walk/run/cycle, bashing heck out of a punchbag or playing squash sort me out if I'm feeling down in the day...

Utility
28-04-09, 21:03
Exercise!

binashubby
29-04-09, 11:00
Thanks for the replies guys. I used to do a lot of martial arts and ju jitsu, but broke my ankle in two places last year (during a grading) and dislocated it at the same time. It hasn't been the same since, and training is difficult owing to constant aches and pains. I suppose battering hell out of a punchbag might help a little - will have to find one.
I used to go to the gym as well, but work is taking up more and more of my time, and I just haven't got time to do anything like that anymore.

PoppyC
29-04-09, 11:15
Hi Paul
How are you feeling today?
I was diagnosed with GAD and found the best things to help me, are exercise, diet, plenty of relaxation and sleep, no cigarettes, no alcohol, reading everything there is on GAD, - all self help things - plus medication and CBT. The citalopram I am taking has completely got rid of my 'feeling of doomsday' as you put it. I would wake with a dread of something happening but just didnt know what it was that I was fearful of, but I felt fearful and that feeling would stay with me all day every day.
Do you take any meds?
A year ago when I had a breakdown I really thought I would be better off out of it but now I am so glad that I didnt go along with how I felt because it is like I have a whole new life and I feel so different. At that time no one could tell me that I would feel better - I just thought it was impossible because I was so wrapped up in how unwell I was - but it does and did get better. I remember the Samaritans telling me to have hope and that stuck with me and I kept hope even during the darkest moments and I am glad I did because that is what got me through.
You may think you would feel happier but imagine the fallout for family and friends. Your life would be over but they would have to live their life with the grief of you not being here. Could you do that to them? At least living you have a chance of life improving but dead thats it - all chances and hope gone. How could you feel better not being alive? I would rather live no matter what than be dead and feel nothing. A year ago I could never have imagined me saying that but that shows that I got better and you can too.
Things will get better for you with the right professional help and self help. It wont always be like this.
Sorry if I have rambled - citalopram does this to me! :wacko:

binashubby
29-04-09, 14:24
Thanks PoppyC,
Yep - those thoughts are always going through my mind. My doctor offered me citalopram before and I refused. I had a really bad dose of it last year, and just as I thought it was going it came back. Makes you think that somebody s doing it deliberatly to you, and you wonder why ?

SarahP
29-04-09, 17:15
Hi Paul,

I know how you feel, I got loads better after a bad episode of GAD in the summer, and then I tried to go back to uni in October and just fell apart. I know totally what you mean when you say it feels like someone is doing it to you. A book that's really helped me, and that i can't praise highly enough is 'Self-Coaching' by Joseph Lucciani. After reading loads and loads on depression and anxiety, this was the first one that I actually felt made sense (of course that could just be me... but it's worth a shot!!). I was a total victim of my situation before and it's helping me take charge, albeit rather slowly! Also Starlight's totally right - Susan Jeffers' books can really help you see things differently.

Hope you're feeling a bit better, sending much love and support...

Sarah x

binashubby
01-05-09, 09:58
Thanks for the replies. Really bad attack this morning. Still have it now. Little sleep from about 4am onwards. Constantly cold or hot. Can't concentrate, something bad is going to happen.

SarahP
01-05-09, 16:24
I have the 'something bad is going to happen' feelings all the time. The best way I find of getting through them is trying to remember that those feelings can only exist in my head, and if I'm giving them attention. Try taking deep breaths and doing something completely random that you can concentrate on, and this may take your mind off it!!

Again, much love x

binashubby
01-05-09, 16:56
Thanks Sarah