PDA

View Full Version : Doc made ectopic fear worse

alley
19-08-05, 22:31
Hi again all...well, I went to the doctor today for my ectopic beats. I really convinced myself that she would just tell me they are normal and to not worry about them but to avoid caffeine, etc. Oh no--she told me they are not normal and did an EKG (which she said was okay) but then ordered blood tests and now I'm on a Holter Monitor for 24 hours. Now I'm absolutely terrified what is going to happen after they review the monitor. So what if they do show ectopic beats?!? Then what?!? I think I would have been better off just believing they were no big deal and not going in.

seh1980
19-08-05, 22:42
hi Alley,

I can't believe your dr told you that!! they can't hurt you and are very normal amongst anxiety sufferers..most of us have had them at some point. I'm sure your results will come back fine. Do let us know.

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

carlin
19-08-05, 22:52
Hi Alley,
I am sorry you are feeling so scared, these doctors try to re-assure us, but sometimes scare us more. I would think if your EKG came back ok, you have nothing to fear. Your doctor is being very thorough and trying to put your mind at rest? (from her point of view) you will be fine and so will your results. please take care and keep in touch xx

Meg
20-08-05, 00:08
Your ECG is normal but she is being ultra cautious and doing a 24 hour tape .

Many people push for months to have one of these so try and find a bit of you thats glad shes being cautious and getting a baseline reading.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

eeyorelover
20-08-05, 06:48
when I started having pain in my arms and the racing heartbeat, my doctor did those tests just to make sure that I didn't have any underlying heart problems (everything came out fine). The doctor was just covering all the bases. I am sure that everything will be fine.
Try not to get to anxious about it.

linjane
20-08-05, 07:55
Hi,
I was in two minds whether or not to read your post in case it scared me even more!!!! But I have had....obviously.....and like everyone else said, your dr is just being careful and covering everything she needs to. I have suffered with ectopics for three years, daily, sometimes and they still terrify me and I still haven't come to accept that they are not harming me, even with all the reassurance everyone on here gives me. I had an ecg and a 24 hr tape. They ecg was fine (even though my pulse went up to about 150bpm cuz I was so scared and I could feel it missing beats all over the place) and the 24hr tape showed up isolated ectopic heartbeat. The hospital were satisfied and didn't put me on any medication or ask to see me again. Everytime I go back to docs about the missed beats he refers back to these tests and says I am fine!

Please let us know how you are doing and how your results come back and try not to worry too much.
Take care, Love,
Linda.x

Piglet
20-08-05, 12:05
Lin,

Lol hun - I nearly didn't read the post incase it frightened me more too!!!! Everytime I have any sort of doctor or hospital appt my pulse goes through the sky and I feel my heart just going crazy.

I've been checked over and with the reassurance of my doc and on here I do feel reassured. I don't hesitate to seek that reassurance these days though as bottling up your fears really prolongs them.

Alley - I do hope you are beginning to be reassured.

Love Piglet:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Alan P
22-08-05, 10:57
I agree with everyone else on here. I had all the tests after a panic attack and it was only later I went to see the doctor again cos I'd started to become aware of skipped beats. Mine seem to be alcohol-releted and I was assured I had nothing to worry about. He took no tests this time and simply advised me to lay off the booze.

I understand and empathise with your position. Some doctors seem to have little clue how to deal with people and that us anxious types need to be handled carefully.

All the best

Alan P

It's good to talk.

michelleann
22-08-05, 13:23
hi alley
ive suffered missed heartbeats for 14 years and they are one of the scariest symptoms of anxiety, and even though i know they are not dangerous it still makes me worry about them but i must say not as much as i use to.
meg has done a great post on missed heartbeats which was a big comfort for me.
try not to worry too much your gp is just being precautious.
take care
michelle xxx

Enoughisenough
20-03-18, 03:33
I’ve had the skipped beats for years now, I am 56 years old and believe me when I say they are scary.. but, apparently harmless! I’ve had them since my 20’s. In my 20’s they were like 1-2 skipped beats once a month. Now at 56 years old, I just started having them daily, all day everyday, going on 20 days now. I have been to my cardiologist and they did an ekg and he listened to my heart and wanted to start me on a beta blocker, but decided against it due to my b/p dropping low in the morning time. I am on Lasartin for my high blood pressure. He has me on magnesium glycinate right now. Hasn’t helped yet. Driving me nuts again, just so many this time... all the time! Hard to function, but you can and you do! Like I said, mine are skipped beats with a big boom before back to normal for a moment. I sympathize with you all and pray that soon we can all put this behind us!

ServerError
20-03-18, 03:37
This thread is 13 years old... :huh:

anxietylord
22-03-18, 02:39
I'm 21 years old and I have them daily. I know it's really scary but they are harmless. Please look up "Anxiety, ectopics and palpitations" on YouTube by Sanjay Gupta, he's a really good cardiologist who makes amazing videos about this and other heart related stuff.(I can post the link because this is my 2nd post) It helped me a lot. A few months ago I was in the same boat as you, I was wearing a 3-day holter monitor and was really scared to hear about the results. Turns out I had a good amount of ectopic beats/extrasystoles everyday, but my cardiologist told me it was perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. Also, try magnesium supplements!

EDIT: Lol I had no idea this thread was that old, that's crazy.