PDA

View Full Version : Was just prescribed Cipralex for Depression/Anxiety

jessicads
29-04-09, 15:41
I was wondering if someone can help me. My doctor just put me on Cipralex 10mg. I haven't started it yet. Not because I'm afraid of it but because it is so expensive. I'm not on a drug plan so I have to pay out of my own pocket. I don't make much so $120 every two months is just nuts for me. I asked my doctor if this medication would have any results if I split the pill and take 5mg for a while. She says that that is the lowest dosage and 5mg would do nothing for me. I wouldn't say that I suffer from severe depression, I honestly just went in there to get something to get me to sleep which I don't. She gave me Xanax for Anxiety, she says that that should relax me enough to get my mind to stop racing so much and get me to sleep. She asked lots of questions and came to the conclusion that depression is playing a major role in my life right now so she prescribed the Cipralex.
So my question is, if I split the pill, will it have any effect on me? I'm 5'3, about 110bs, age 26, not sure if that means anything. I'm not a big person though.
I just don't want to start on 10mg, then can't afford to continue with it and have to deal with the withdrawal symptoms. I was on Paxil a long time ago and the withdrawal was worse than the depression itself.

alias_kev
04-05-09, 00:19
I can't really advise on dosage other than when I panic cos a member seems to be on (above) the maximum dose of something or on something barely connected with what they tell us! If you go to www.drugs.com (http://www.drugs.com) and emc.medicines.org.uk (http://emc.medicines.org.uk) you can find the details that go in the packet (PIL) and that pharmacists and doctors get (SPC). These say that BOTH the initial and normal dose is 10mg DAILY. Some people report being started on 5mg, but thats not in the specificiation.

I did a search recently to get an idea on price as the UK's NHS hates Escitalopram because it is not cheap. I found some USA prices online at about $35 per 30, so you might be able to find it cheaper than you quote unless supply and price are tightly controlled in canada.

If you are really stuck the older version of Esc' is Citalopram. Some claim they are (virtually) identical (mainly doctors) but many (mainly patients) say that the newer Esc' is kinder. It is officially about 1 to 1.5 times stronger so 10mg Esc' = about 20mg Cit'. From what I've read in the PIL and SPC documents and the forums I'd alwyas recommend Escitalopram of the two. BUT if you really are stuck for cash AND you really are having it for depression rather than for anxiety you might cope OK on the cheaper Citalopram. USA online prices came in at about $3.50 for 30. That's because it a generic and heavily prescribed. For anxiety disorders only the Escitalopram makes treatment claims despite the UKs obsession with using citalopram and a few other SSRIs to treat anxiety. They may help BUT their manufacturers only claim depression treatment!

You need to allow about 2-4 weeks for these meds to balance in and about 2-4 weeks on a tapering dose to come off them. I think the citalopram may take a bit longer at both from patient anecdotes as its not as chemically clean. Basically 50% Cit' equals Esc' but the other 50% is a different isomer that does not have the beneficial effects. Everyone is very vague about the effects of this "broken 50%". NHS accountants say its just fairy dust BUT something must explain the different patient experiences reported.

Unless you stay on them for ages it probably wouldn't take longer to come off Esc' when you no longer need it. I actually came off 20mg Esc' in about 8 days (eek! - silly GP) but I was going onto Buspar at the same time, and it also augments the serotonin cycle.

PS: I found Esc very effective against depression but it was less effective against my GAD.

Good luck with this.