PDA

View Full Version : Out of the shadows.

mnemonic
30-04-09, 10:18
Hi,

It has been 14 years since first being diagnosed agoraphobic. Although it's been 3 years or so since the last time it really grabbed hold of me. However that respite ended abruptly just before the end of December.

Until this time my Wife was able to calm me down and help me work through it but after 20 years she is now gone and I am left to deal with my issues by myself.

Out of desperation I resorted to crawling the web looking for answers and found NMP. I've been hiding in the shadows for a while now and reading the some the great info here. Now I've finally got up the courage to join in.

There is no local support group available to me. The Mental Health Unit that is "managing" my case is pretty much useless - they don't even know how to spell agoraphobia; let alone understand it. Which is really quite pathetic considering they are a government department. (I guess that's a bit naive of me...)

They changed my medication again last month, this time to Mirtazapine. I complained to them that I am now suffering hallucinations and I am constantly itchy all over with nothing apparent on my skin. I told that I was going to stop taking it and was told that if I did they would discharge me. They said that I should keep taking it for at least two months to see if things settle down.

My distrust for them is growing daily and this concerns me as I rely heavily on my case manager to assist me with dealing with life.

I don't understand why the only treatment option is them forcing pills down my throat.

Anyway perhaps being a member here will help me sort things out.

bottleblond
30-04-09, 10:53
Hi mnemonic

Welcome along to NMP! :smile:

I am agoraphobic too so i totaly understand your predicament.
I was allocated a CPN last year to come to my house on a fortnightly basis.
He was a very nice man who did his best i suppose to help and advise me. Problem being though-i could have tought him about agoraphobia rather than the other way about and it did absolutely jack for me.

I am lucky though as i have a great support network and my heart goes out to those who do not have the same.

NMP is a fantastic support network, infact it's like a little community of support and friendship and i am sure you will get lots of help here from members.

Take care
Lisa
x

PUGLETMUM
30-04-09, 12:26
:hugs: hi, i am sorry you have to deal with being treated like this - im glad you have joined us offically, i think you will get help and support here that you need - things are a bit better in the uk -but for others they are pretty much treated the same as you - the so called help doesnt understand and doesnt help at all - whatever you decide to do is your decision - but you are much stronger than you think :hugs:

Southern_Belle
30-04-09, 12:54
Hi,

I too am sorry that a government agency is not listening to you. I am not agoraphobic but do have anxiety and can understand how easy it would be to get that way. For the life of me, I don't see how they don't understand how you might be having an allergic reaction to the meds. Is there any way you can call your pharmacist and they could put in a word?

Here you will find that many will understand how you are feeling and will give their support. I am glad you found us and you are not alone!

Take care,

Laura

duskess
30-04-09, 17:05
Hello and Welcome to NMP , glad you found the site , i understand how you are feeling as i have Agoraphobia to, its not easy relying on others but we have too, i hope things become more bearable for you soon , take care :welcome: Dusky x

kittykat
01-05-09, 09:04
Hi there and :welcome: to the site, lots of good advice on here, take care xx