PDA

View Full Version : Finding a dentist that won't give me hell!?!?!?!

Clint
21-08-05, 13:57
Hi

I have 2 split teeth and one decaying and at present feel petrified of what a dentist might say. I am okay with the pain/process side of things (call it penance).

What is stopping me from going is the total embarressment of having a Dentist either tell bme off or refuse to treat me. It's something that has built up, and up and up and my teeth are getting worse and worse and worse and it's been a vicious cycle.

Is there any sure fire way of finding a dentist that understands and would not give me a hard time? I know I would just up and leave and then maybe never go again!?! if I was given a hard time and this really is the only thing stopping me.

I know it's irrational and I feel SO DUMB! for not facing up to it but it's driving me nuts to the point of broken sleep, moodswings and feeling sick to my stomach! Even as I am writing this I feel daft and it's hard to explain how something can almost take over your every thought through the day.

If anyone out there know's of a caring dentist in the South West I'd appreciate it!

This is my first ever post and I have to say this is a great website even if i end up pulling my own teeth with some pliers and a bottle of Jack Daniels!

seh1980
21-08-05, 13:59
Welcome aboard Clint!! :)

Why exactly do dentists refuse to treat you?

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Meg
21-08-05, 15:03
Clint ,

Dentists have much worse mouths show up from people who have refused to go for many years.

If you need a NHS dentist you may find it quite hard and may need to go through the FHSA to locate one if you're starting from scratch. A private one you will be able to ring up and go for a consulation before deciding which chair to sit on...

New here - fear of a panic attack (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4331)
been (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4408)
I didnt freak out at the Dentists!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=609)
Day of Doom - Return to the Dentist II (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4122)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

pinkscrumpy
21-08-05, 19:03
Hi Clint

Welcome to the site.

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

Sue K with 5
21-08-05, 19:18
Er sorry cant give you the name of a good dentist but would like to wish you luck

I hate dentists, but I do go if it is serious enough

good luck

scknight

removed
21-08-05, 23:30
I have discovered the nicest, kindest dentist after years of being afraid.The trouble is I live in the South East.
There must be others around. You will probably get a better service if you go privately.
The private ones are usually good at treating nervous patients.
If you look in the yellow pages the listings often say something like"nervous patients a speciality".
I wouldnt worry about them judging you-they are there to provide a service and the fact that you are taking a step towards conquering a very real fear is something they must come across all the time.
Just think how fantastic you will feel when you have sorted out your teeth and that worry is behind you!
Hope you get on ok
Janet c

helen__w
22-08-05, 00:50
Hi

If you can I would try and go privately - they are not expensive. I pay a few pounds a months and get an excellent dentist! They give you a full assessment and at the end of the day they want your business so they wont have a go at you!

Here is a web address so that you can find a list of private dentists in your area

http://www.denplan.co.uk/

Good luck in your search!

Helen

kazo
22-08-05, 08:46
Hi Clint

I can't give you a name for a good dentist in your area. But if its any help I was the same as you, for 2 years I didn't go to the dentist then I started to panic about what he would say if I went about the state of my teeth, that delayed me going for another year. But two weeks ago I was in terrible pain with my half tooth. So I had no choice I made an appointment and went. Only to find he was very good and understanding so much so he is gonna do a bit at a time so that I dont have to be in the chair too long.

I have to go for treatment tomorrow and I am working myself up as I have always hated dentists but I am sure I will get through it.

I hope you find a good dentist.

take care
kazo

gonemonkey
22-08-05, 20:37
you sound exactly like me 3 months ago. When I couldn't take the pain anymore I got my partner to find a dentist, make me an appointment and support me on the day. This really helped as all I had to do was turn up. When I met the dentist I explained that I was scared and embarrassed and could we just talk for a minute- This gave me a chance to suss him out. If I hadn't of felt comfortable I would have left but he was lovely-totally non-judgemental and very understanding. He looked at my teeth and didn't criticise or scold me and explained I needed two root canals, five fillings and a crown. He then told me I could have the option of going to the dental hospital and having them all done whilst asleep. I refused this and he said he understood and in that case we would work through the lot one at a time over a few months. I've only got two small fillings left to do now- my mouth feels great and my confidence has been boosted- it's also so much easier to eat without broken, sore teeth. He also books me special extended appointments so I don't feel rushed.
Please go.. I bet you won't be judged. The first appointment is the worst but when you know what you're dealing with you gain a sense of control over the situation.
Good luckx