PDA

View Full Version : Had a massive panic attack

starlady
30-04-09, 19:15
Havent had a panic attack since aug/sept...........until yesterday. I have been under a bit of stress worrying bout my sis as shes on the edge of a breakdown so been trying to help her out but think iv burnt myself out in the process. Yesterday i had a panic attack which was bad........but wasnt ready for the big one i had today. I always seem to get them when i get near to my sons school...then it got worse in the playground with all the noise, i started getting hot and panicky, legs went week and then my breathing got out of sync. I thought i would be ok when he got out bu he asked that many questions my head got in a fuz and i felt my eyesight was going hazy.... which iv never had with previous panic attacks. I got to a shop for a drink but when inside felt i was going to hit the deck...i told the shopkeeper i was having a panic attack and she said.....im going through the menapause too ha, im laughing now at it as im indoors and safe, but im really dreading 2moz, going the school and iv got to go a few shops for my sons birthday prezzies in crowded noisy place where i ussualy get dizzy with the hustle and noise anyway. Im so scared ....anyone got any suggestions? they will be appreciated. Ang x

starlady
30-04-09, 20:09
Does anyone else get panic attacks that trigger in certain places/noisy situations?

Blot
30-04-09, 20:28
Hi Starlady, first of all I really do feel for you. Awwww, I know the absolute terror one feels when you get a PA out of the blue, it is frightening!Remember that it WILL pass. Yes, I do have places & even at the same time that triggers a PA. CRAZEEEEE,hey! Have you considered reading Claire Weekes books - you can buy them at NMP bookshop - I have found her logic & realistic explanations of anxiety & panic so valuable. I am still struggling to implement her treatment - not easy but I believe them to be effective!

xxxBlot

starlady
30-04-09, 20:47
Hi Blot, Thanx for reply, i will try her books. Im going out prepared 2moz with rescue remedy and aroma oils just in case. Its horrid as i havent had one for so long, it all starts with me trying to rush when i dont need to and if i could only slow myself down before it gets out of control it would be easier. I hated the derealisation feeling too which i got today which i had in my previous bout of panic attacks. Thanx again for the book advice ....you try anything to see if it helps. x

Reggie
30-04-09, 20:49
The ones that come out of the blue are the worst IMO. Thing is, tomorrow, it won't be out of the blue - you're expecting to feel panicky, so it won't be out of the blue (does that make sense). I'm no expert but personally, I cope better when I'm expecting anxiety, it's like I'm ready for it and you can ride this out. You might feel extremely anxious about going to school, but the chances are you won't have a massive panic attack like today.

It also helps to talk yourself through these situations, talking yourself down (to yourself, in your head), I always say "it's ok, nearly done, i'll be out of here in a bit".

Hope this helps, please post after you've been and let us know how you get on. :hugs:

Blot
30-04-09, 20:57
Hang in there, have you tried cutting out coffee, alcohol as they are stimulents which aggravate PA'S? It has helped me to an extent. I do try to practice breathing exercises so that when I get a PA, I am able to breathe my way through the attack - it does not always help as I may be a little too freaked out but I just keep trying. Yah, that feeling of unreality is really unpleasant. xxxx

starlady
30-04-09, 21:29
Thanx reggie and blot for your replies. I am sitting here at the mo with a coffee and cig.. ha....getting help 3 wks to quit smoking. Last time i had p.a, i got myself a relaxation c.d by glen harold which was useful for me at the time, but gave it to someone who needed it when i stopped getting them. Im glad of this site as you know you have someone who understands, as when im having a p.a i think people are looking at me in my panic state then find myself trying to explain whats happening to people and feel stupid/ weird for trying to explain myself. x

starlady
03-05-09, 13:32
Glad to say....Went to town Friday, just took my time and didnt get a panic attack. Been reading stuff from a site called wikihow.com....info there on how to be yourself and other things about panic attacks i found useful, so printed them off and carried them around with me in case i needed to sit down and have a read if p.a came. x