PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know How to Fix Shoulder and Neck Tension?

Danny_dingle
01-05-09, 00:46
Hey all,

I suffer badly with a tense neck and shoulders, despite my anxiety being a lot better these days.

Sometimes I can make myself feel a bit better using muscle cream like Deep Freeze which I put on at night, but was just wondering if anyone on here knows of any professional exercises I can carry out whilst I'm at home or preferably anything I can do as a temporary fix when I feel the physical tension coming on at work?

It doesn't seem to be directly related to my anxiety at the minute, I think the tensing in that area has become habitual and is more of a physical thing now, so any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Ta guys!

Danny xxx

lrforge
01-05-09, 01:44
I hear ya! I have been fighting this for a long time now. Maybe go in for a massage. I went last night and it was wonderful and it did help. Keep stretching it out and try to keep your shoulders "down". I don't know how many times a day I catch myself with my shoulders up to my ears. This causing big tension. Sorry I can't offer more advise...oh...I have been using Oshadhi brand pepperment oil (lavendar oil is a relaxer to) and this is better than Bio Freeze. It helps alot. I mix it with unscented lotion or oil and rub it in. Does wonders!

Danny_dingle
01-05-09, 13:05
Thanks lrforge!

I will try the stuff you've advised!

Take care, Danny xxx

PoppyC
01-05-09, 13:10
Hi :)
I find lying down on the floor and stretching legs and arms really helps me when I feel achy...I know it sounds a bit odd but I find it does help, however maybe thats not such a good idea to try out at work! lol
Try stretching your arms above your head, hands/fingers linked, and then stretch them out behind your back and then front too and also stretch down to touch your toes with your hands and slowly straighten up again and back to stretching up above your head. You can do the stretches whilst sat in a chair too at a desk. Try also rolling your head gently from side to side and round if you can.
I suffer really badly with neck, shoulder and back problems and I think its due to being so tensed up with anxiety over a long period of time.
I also find that indian head massages are great for helping relieve an aching neck and shoulders.:yesyes:
I hope you feel less achy soon!

happyone
01-05-09, 15:26
Hi,
a good technique advsed to me as part of an anxiety management group, is to actually tense up those muscles where you are feeling the tension! Like, actually deliberately bring the muscles that are bothering you and the surrounding ones, to a deliberate point of tension, count to five and then relax them. Do this a few times over. You can also work it into your daily routine, doing this exercise, before the tension has started, or when maybe the mental tension has started.
It works wonders on my tummy muscles which is where I hold my tension.
Happyone
x

Dazo
01-05-09, 17:01
I have alot of problems with aching neck and shoulders.
Massage and acupunture helps me with that.

Also another thing like "nail carpet", sorry dont know the word in english, hope you understand.