PDA

View Full Version : Depersonalization?

Blooregard
01-05-09, 04:57
I looked this up a few days ago because I've been feeling it for a really long time. Excerpt from Wikipedia:

Depersonalization (or depersonalisation) can be referred as a malfunction or anomaly of the mechanism in which an individual has awareness or perception of his or her own self. It is a feeling of watching oneself act, while having no control over a situation.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization#cite_note-DSM-IV-TR-0) It can be considered desirable, such as in the use of recreational drugs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreational_drugs), but it usually refers to the severe form found in anxiety (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiety) and, in the most intense cases, panic attacks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attacks). A sufferer feels that he or she has changed and the world has become less real, vague, dreamlike, or lacking in significance. It can sometimes be a rather disturbing experience, since many feel that, indeed, they are living in a "dream".

Now that I know what it is, it worries me less, I guess... but sometimes I just feel so OUT of it and I can't control what I'm doing. Like earlier, I was in technology class and just staring at the computer screen and I knew I was there, and what I was supposed to be doing, but it was like I just COULDN'T focus.

Does anyone else feel this? Will it ever go away? And what ways ARE there to make it go away? ):

Thanks. :)

tigger1964
01-05-09, 06:54
Hi,

I have had dp a lot since i have had this, in the early days it terrified me, but like you now that i know what it is, it dont bother me as much and now when it does happen, although its unpleasant i try and ignore it and continue with whatever task im doing. It eases like all symtoms through time.

take care

alba
02-05-09, 16:25
how do you ignore it when it is so frigtening, like what do uo do, sometimes in a second i just feel lost of myself, esp when i am talkng, like so scary, i am talking with my daughter then i just forget whey who i am, i just sotp talking and upset her

Blooregard
02-05-09, 17:35
how do you ignore it when it is so frigtening, like what do uo do, sometimes in a second i just feel lost of myself, esp when i am talkng, like so scary, i am talking with my daughter then i just forget whey who i am, i just sotp talking and upset her

I know what you mean. It's like you're not... there!

:hugs: I suppose we can all work together on this site to find ways to deal with it!

BasilCat
05-05-09, 11:37
Hi there, I know exactly how this depersonalisation (unreality) feels. God knows, I have had it enough over the years. I wish I had never heard of it. It can be very frightening, I know. So go and follow the link below. It has helped me over the last 3 years that I have been troubled with anxiety. In fact the whole site is great. See what you think.
http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/depersonalisation_and_derealisation.html

Shirley

nomorepanic
05-05-09, 12:38
This is from my sypmtoms page:

Depersonalization, Derealization, Feeling of unreality

What you feel:

Now for the Brain – the limbic system in the brain instigates this whole response and is responsible too for our emotions and behaviour One of the body symptoms that people hate most is the one when you feel all foggy, surreal, woozy or spacey. You may either feel that you are not real or that the earth is not real and you’re a time warp away. These are often the hardest symptoms to understand and its very common to deduce that you must be going mad which makes you panic even more. This is completely untrue and you are very safe.

You feel like you are not a part of what is going on, or that you feel like you are in a dream state or ‘out of touch with things’. Also, things around you may seem like they are shimmering, foggy, hazy or too bright.
What causes this:

As we learned in Understanding, the body and mind are tightly integrated. What affects one affects the other. This symptom is another example of how an over stimulated nervous system can cause us to experience odd and impaired feelings, emotions and perceptions. Much like how a psychoactive or recreational drug can alter one’s mental state, an over active nervous system can affect certain body chemistries thereby producing mind altering effects. The feeling of unreality or disassociation is one type of altered mental state that high levels of stress biology can produce.

It is not completely understood what goes here but it is generally thought that the limbic system in the brain decides there is too much going on and goes into a self protection mode and shuts out excess stimuli. As the adrenaline levels decrease and you calm down it clears. This can be several hours days or weeks.

BasilCat
05-05-09, 15:18
Yes it does clear Nicola. Its taken about 3 years for my DP to clear. Its not totally gone but nearly gone. I was in Preston for the first time on my own in over 3 years, just a week ago. When I got there I was in a DP state (not too bad but it was there) and I just carried on walking around the shops. When I took more notice of what I was doing and got the focus off the DP, it went. In fact if I am honest, It went more or less completely and had I not had to pick the kids up from school in Southport, I would have spent longer in Preston!! Its a fact though, the more scared and intimidated we are by DP, the worse it gets or the longer it stays. So I just try and tell myself its nothing, it doesnt matter and its only there to protect me.

Shirley