PDA

View Full Version : Now I Am Worrying

mf
01-05-09, 09:19
I have been on 10 mg of Citalopram for about 3 months, i have to take painkillers every month for Menstrual pain and have been taking Ibuprohen.. I have since discovered that its not recommended to take this particular painkiller with this anti-dep as it can cause internal bleeds, my Gp never mentioned this to me and when i read the instructions on the Citalopram i do not remember seeing any mention of it... I have been experiencing some stomach bloating and now i am feeling anxious that there might be something wrong caused by taking the Ibuprohen, i have just rang to make an appt to see my Gp but appt is not until next wednesday.. Now i am worrying and imagining all sorts and also feel angry that my Gp did not think to mention about painkillers as surely they must realise that most people find it necessary to take a painkiller every now and again and when we are on anti-deps it can be for months/years..

mummyto4
01-05-09, 09:53
Hi, Ibuprofen can upset the stomach. If it does affect anyone in this way then the advise I was given was to not take it and use an alternative pain killer as it can eventually lead to a stomach ulcer. I would check with your gp but if you feel that these painkillers are upsetting your stomach then switch to another, co codamol for example. You could also speak with a pharmacist at your local chemist, they would give you any advise you may need regarding this. I wouldn't worry too much, I used to get stomach pains from ibuprofen many years ago so never touched them again until recently when I had agonising tooth ache and had taken my limit for the day in co codamol so I did take some ibuprofen as I was desperate to kill the pain. I spoke to nhs direct and they advised that if I did have to take them to line my stomach first which I did and they did help! I wouldn't use them on a long term basis tho as I know that they dont suit me so I only ever take paracetamol based painkillers.