PDA

View Full Version : Cant eat. losing weight rapidly. anyone help?

MOJO
01-05-09, 09:40
I have not been able to eat properly for a few months now. The odd day when I feel ok the appetite comes back but normally it's a huge struggle. Doctor doesn't seem all that concerned as she says I am just eating enough to keep me going. I have lost well over a stone. I'm sure not eating doesn't help with symptoms of anxiety. Anyone have any advice or tips. I'm really worried.:ohmy:

lotte_82
01-05-09, 09:54
Are you still feeling anxious at all??

I have suffered with an ED on and off for over 10 years, however for me whenever Im anxious or depressed my appetite is also the first thing to go....which then spirals my ED out of control.

I have no real advise really apart from maybe trying so see what is triggering your loss of appetite....eg Anxiety.

marie.s
01-05-09, 09:55
hi..i have no appetite but it is due to my anxiety.. i take build up and complan..you just mix with water and milk..has all vitamins etc..what you need give it a go..

mick_uk
01-05-09, 10:07
Hi mojo,
If the weight you have lost is making you weigh less than you should, then you go back to your doctor again. it's not good enough that your doctor 'doesn't seem concerned'. It concerns you and that's what's important. It won't help your anxiety by not eating but it could be it's the anxiety causing you not to eat in the first place. Go back to your doc mojo.

Marie, I tried that build-up. Chicken flavour it was. I don't know where they got that chicken from but it must been more ill than I was :scared15:
Made my own attempts at cooking look like michelin chef standards :D

MOJO
01-05-09, 10:10
Thank you for the replies. Yes, I'm sure that it is my anxiety causing the problem. I was just scared that I will go on getting thinner and thinner. I will get Complan. sounds like a good idea as it has vits. and all in as well. Do you manage to eat at all or just have Complan and Build up?

MOJO
01-05-09, 10:15
Just saw your reply Mick.
I am due to see doc next wednesday so I will discuss it again. Maybe I need to make her realize how worried I am. I probably didn't make a big thing of it.
I sometimes think if someone cooked a little something for me it would help. The thought of making anything myself just puts me right off or by the time I have done it I just don't want it!:unsure:

mick_uk
01-05-09, 10:15
The complan and build-up have vitamins in them but the calories are only something like 250 a mug. They help when you really cannot eat anything. Try and snack if you find you can't eat bigger meals. When I had this, I ate those health snack bars and fruit. It's important you eat something mojo even if you just pick at food for a few days.

take care

mick

mick_uk
01-05-09, 10:19
I know what you mean mojo, when i went through this I would cook a meal and sit looking at it, I just couldn't eat it. (and it wasn't all my lousy cooking :D )
That's when I tried the build-up. In between those I picked at food, just mouthfulls here and there.
And do tell tell your doc how worried you are.

take care

mick

Toffeeapple
01-05-09, 10:23
Hi this is a paragraph from Dr Claire Weekes' book "self help for your nerves"
"People with nervous illness place unnecessary significance on losing weight.
They view their protruding bones with growing alarm, wondering just how far the fading-away process can go before they fall to pieces completely.
They haunt the bathroom scales, eyes glued on the dial, while they try to jiggle out a few extra ounces.
Cover your scales and resist all tempation to stand on them until you are so fat that you think it is time to diet.
It is intersting to note the direct and yet temporary effect of emotional stress on appetite.
I have seen a distressed person heave at the sight of food only to devour it ravenously an hour later after hearing good news.
The body made thin by fear is not diseased and is waiting to recover lost weight as soon as you will pass the food down to it.
So place no importance on your wasted looks, your "poor thin body".
Eat up and forget those scales.
Even when some cheerful friend says "Good heavens, you are thinner than ever!" Still resist the temptation to step onto the scales."
Really helpful I thought. Although I've rarely lost appetite due to anxiety, I've worried about my weight.
No later than yesterday 2 of my friends told me that I'd lost weight and it made me PANICK! I'm thin already so I really don't need to lose any more.
I have been stressed and very anxious lately but still, I think I was more or less eating normally.
So the fact that some friends have noticed my weight loss means that it must be quite significant.
I went to the doctor's yesterday for my son and couldn't resist the temptation to ask him if I could weigh myself (embarassing he had to go to a different room to get some scales :blush:).
I'm still the same weight as a month ago when I last saw my friends, so I don't get it. I think I still look like I'm wasting away.

MOJO
01-05-09, 10:26
Thanks for the advice Mick. I am going to the shops shortly (gulp!) and I will get some cereal bars and fruit and see if there is anything else I fancy to snack on. I suppose even a few mouthfuls here and there are helpful. I keep thinking if I don't eat a plateful of something it's no use. x

mick_uk
01-05-09, 10:36
I had forgotten about Dr Claire weekes book toffeeapple,
That's a good place to look for help with most things anxiety related, she makes you see it as it is and not how it seems.

miss_moose
01-05-09, 11:00
Hello, i think it is a great idea to chat with your doctor again about how worried you are, when i first got ill i lost 2 stone in less that 2 months and it made me ill, my doctor perscribed complan milkshakes.
Please keep trying though, i'm still struggling with ill health 8 years on from not eating so keep trying.

In the short term though, when i'm really anxious and can't eat anything, this is what i do and it really helps...

Try something soft, could be soup or even a sandwich. What ever it is, break it up in to minute pieces and take sips of a drink to help it go down. It might take an hour to eat a sandwich but its worth it.
At the same time i put something comforting on the tv, for me it's my Friends Dvd's, and i read a book or do a puzzle book at the same time, all while i'm trying to eat.

I always do this when i'm having a hard time with anxiety and eating.

Take care xxx

bottleblond
01-05-09, 11:15
Mojo

When my anxiety is playing up, i eat like a sparrow. it's the first place to hit me.

I know the thought of sitting down to a large meal would put you off eating all together so try to eat little bits but regularly.

Your appitite will come back hun so try not to worry too much!

Lisa
xx

MOJO
01-05-09, 15:45
Thank you all for your advice. It's so nice when people are kind enough to reply. I will take note of everything you have suggested and also try not to worry so much. I feel that mealtime is becoming a phobia in itself now and I don't want that to happen.:ohmy:
All take care of yourselves too.:hugs: x