PDA

View Full Version : Finally beating agoraphobia :)

PoppyC
01-05-09, 09:56
Just to give some hope to other agoraphobia sufferers that it can be overcome....
I spent all day yesterday out - my treat to myself for going out every day during the past week was by spending most of the day at the hairdressers having my hair cut and coloured and having various beauty treatments.
It has really boosted my confidence.
I caught the crowded bus there and back which was quite a long journey, spent hours in the salon, and then I walked around the town, and back home, and then out again on another walk to the gps, totally on my own.I didnt need to talk to anyone on my mobile for reassurance and I felt completely at ease and really enjoyed it all including being sat for hours in the hairdressers where I chatted away non stop like a madwoman. It felt like I had been too cooped up for too long indooors and I loved the feeling of being back out there again living in the real world, chatting away with people. It felt so good.
I have spent a week now going out every day on my own without a safe person and I can honestly say confronting how I feel and throwing myself back out into the world has really worked. Each time I have gone out it has got easier and I didnt even panic yesterday or feel anxious. I feel so different now - alive again- and feel like I am finally on the way to recovery. This time last year I couldnt even get out of bed and was confined to a bedroom!
I dont think sitting indoors whinging about how I felt and feeling sorry for myself did me any good. I could easily have got trapped in that cycle of not doing anything constructive about how I felt other than taking medication and giving into agoraphobic feelings.
Based on the events of the past week I am now looking to return to work and also doing some voluntary work outside of the home, rather than what I am doing now - working at home. I find it too isolating which is not a good thing. I am going to start off part time and take it from there. Just need to find a job now! :wacko:
I hope this post gives some hope to other agoraphobia sufferers.

Dizzy-Dave
01-05-09, 12:17
Yay !

That's amazing :D

I'm not as far as you yet but I can already feel its possible to have life back again and you are my inspiration for the next step !

Congrats poppy x

finny12000
01-05-09, 14:39
well done poppy this should be in success stories as its a inspiration for fellow sufferers.
im really pleased for ya x

PoppyC
01-05-09, 16:31
Thank You everyone for your lovely kind replies :blush:

duskess
01-05-09, 16:44
Hello Poppy , Happy to hear you did so well:flowers: and enjoyed yourself :) A big well done from me :flowers: Take Care Dusky:yesyes: x