PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Biopsy ...advice please

PoppyC
01-05-09, 11:04
Hi :)
I am seeing the renal consultant that I see, next Tuesday to discuss having a kidney biopsy. I am so worried about this but trying hard not to let it overwhelm me. I feel sick when I think about it too much...
I went to my gps yesterday and he told me that due to my results over the past 6 months that I should expect to have a biopsy to establish what is going on with my kidneys. I have also been told that due to the overwhelming anxiety. breakdown, and related health problems that I had last year, that my kidney was affected. :ohmy:
Has anyone had a biopsy and if so could you tell me how painful it was? A couple of people on the site have told me about other peoples experiences but has anyone had it done to them personally. I just want to know how awful or not so awful it is.
I have been told that it is quite a risky procedure and I will have an overnight hospital stay
I know I can ask for a sedative (or sedatives in my case!) I am dreading it! I wonder if I can have any seeing as I am taking citalopram? :unsure:

Thanks

nikkinoo
01-05-09, 23:51
Dear Poppy,

I replied to you before regarding my hubbies kidney biopsy and I have asked him if he would write a reply to your questions. He said he would be quite happy to do so at some point tomorrow if that is any help?

Try not to worry! I know it is difficult.

Take care.

Luv Nikki. :-) x

PoppyC
02-05-09, 21:33
Hi Nikki :)
Thats so kind of you - Thank You. :)

nikkinoo
03-05-09, 00:09
Dear Poppy,
Sorry my reply is later than I promised. My name is Jim and I am Nikki,s hubby.
I started with kidney problems back in the 90's and had my first kidney biopsy then. This was not a pleasent experience as it was a rushed job in the outpatients department in an hour off from work with no
anaesthetic, aftercare or advise and I suffered for it as I was a lorry driver at the time and went back to work straight away and started heavy lifting and working long hours.
I was diagnosed with suspected kidney disease in 2007 and after several tests and an ultrasound I was told I would need another kidney biopsy. I was very nervous thinking about the last experience, but was reassured that the proceedure and technology has improved since the 90's.
I worried myself silly over this and worked myself up into a right state, but this was totally unnecessary as on the day, I was asked if I would like something to calm me down. I said yes please, and the next thing I knew I woke up in the ward, feeling fine and was drinking tea and on the phone to Nikki within an hour. The only reason they keep you in over night is to ensure that there is no internal bleeding.
Seeing you are so nervous, I would strongly recommend that you asked to be sedated as it is only a small injection in your arm, not a full blown anaesthetic and you are totally oblivious to what is going on, which suited me fine. The proceedure only takes a few minutes.
I went home the next day and felt totally fine in myself the only after effect was a little lower achey back pain for a couple of days and this was sorted by a few paracetamol.
Rest assured you will be fine. I hope this has reassured you, but if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask and I will reply as soon as possible.
Please let me know how you get on.
Take care. Jim :-)