PDA

View Full Version : Lexapro and very worried

SleeplessFog
01-05-09, 12:42
I was given some samples of Lexapro by my GP to see if it would help my anxiety. Benzos just made me sleepy. Every time I have been given a medication for this I can't take it for more than 2-3 days I am feeling so miserable.

I took 5mg with dinner last night. I was woken out of sleep by the worst panic I have felt since having anxiety. I had diarrhea all night and finally vomited twice this morning.

I have read you have to wait weeks for this to work...I can't handle taking any more of this stuff. I feel way worse on it than I do off of it. At least I could sleep some hours during the night. I slept 1 last night and I am delirious this morning.

Please tell me I won't die from this. I read some of the less common side effects and this is one of them. Please tell me I will be okay. I plan on calling my doctor when the office opens this morning.

None of this medication seems to help...it only makes my body physically ill. I have GERD and IBS...every time I take these meds it either slows my GI tract down to where its painful....or I am in the loo every ten minutes.

I feel so weak this morning. :scared15:

SleeplessFog
01-05-09, 17:51
Ok I feel a bit more normal. I laid down for about 2 hours this morning, but I am still really tired.

I have had 5 hours of sleep in the past 2 days. I think I am worn out.

Anybody have any thoughts on my reaction to the Lexapro? I am drinking a lot of fluids now, have only been able to eat a bit of yogurt and some tea so far. I am going to try eating some cereal.

My doctor hasn't called back yet after I left him a message explaining what happened.

Should I be concerned that it made me this sick? I don't really take any medication on a regular basis so I am not used to having a weird reaction to anything.

Captain America
01-05-09, 23:21
hi sleepless. i myself gave up on lexapro from one dose. my symptoms were much different than yours, but i hated them. my dr said it was probably psyho somatic, since i hate meds too.

i ended up going to therapy and stopping all meds. benzos made me sleepy and actually made me depressed. i'd have morning crying fits after taking klonopin the night before. go figure!

anyway after a few months of therapy i'm working and enjoying life again med free. it's not for everybody but it can be done.

i did read something on here of someone having a bad experience on lexapro but not so much the second day he took it. i can't find that thread tho...

SleeplessFog
01-05-09, 23:37
Hi Captain America,

Thanks for responding and yes, I am not a fan of taking meds. Before all of this, the only things I would ever take is Tylenol or Advil. So yeah, this is not like me to be taking stuff, and every time I take stuff I have weird reactions.

Yes the klonopin made me tired....but I could sleep. But it also affects my balance problem, and like you, I had weird crying episodes, like I would get hysterical for no reason. I thought by taking the Lexapro I could help myself...but I felt terrible and actually felt worse anxiety wise than I did without it.

I am supposed to take my second dose now...but I don't want to. I guess I will talk to my therapist on Tuesday about it. I really want to do this without meds. Every time I have been given a med, I can't even tolerate a full dose without it making me feel terrible.

Captain America
01-05-09, 23:45
funny...mine (anxiety) started last february when i got vertigo and fell down. they said it was bpv, but it still took 6 weeks to go away. they gave me mescaline or something. then anxiety built to a panic attack, and then the fun started.

therapy helped me more than anything. i had a great therapist though...she was really into 'exposure therapy' and that worked pretty quickly, although going through the 'exposures' was hell.

as for the side effects from what my dr. told me lexapro is safe as far as like bad reactions and stuff goes. his exact words were, 'it's safer than tylenol'.

i don't mean to talk you out of meds. but it can be done without...just takes longer they say

chief
02-05-09, 00:23
lexapro didnt work for me at all i hated the weakness i felt from it and the headaches....

Zoloft works better for me but i do like the benzo they help alot for me

SleeplessFog
02-05-09, 02:07
funny...mine (anxiety) started last february when i got vertigo and fell down. they said it was bpv, but it still took 6 weeks to go away. they gave me mescaline or something. then anxiety built to a panic attack, and then the fun started.

therapy helped me more than anything. i had a great therapist though...she was really into 'exposure therapy' and that worked pretty quickly, although going through the 'exposures' was hell.

as for the side effects from what my dr. told me lexapro is safe as far as like bad reactions and stuff goes. his exact words were, 'it's safer than tylenol'.

i don't mean to talk you out of meds. but it can be done without...just takes longer they say

Wow, same story as me, except THIS February. Valium made me groggy and didn't keep the anxiety away, The klonopin has been the only thing that works.

A lot of my issue with anxiety goes deeper than this vertigo....I have always had a fear of sleeping....and I can't sleep much...and at night is when my anxiety is the worst. So far I still am anxious regardless of what I am given...so I am talking to a psychologist every week now and I really feel I have accept and face my anxiety because I keep avoiding it or things I believe that causes it.