PDA

View Full Version : Lexapro - worried

SleeplessFog
01-05-09, 13:42
I was given 10mg Lexapro samples to try from my GP. I took half a pill for the first time last night and it was horrible.

I had the worst panic attack that jolted me from bed...I had diarrhea every 30-60 minutes and finally wretched this morning. I slept all of 1-2 hours. I feel so weak and my knees hurt.

I don't think I can tolerate any of this medication if it continues to do this. I know they said it doesn't work right away....but I can't be getting sick and not eating like this.

I had tried klonopin and that made me have ear pain and feel like I was made out of jello.

Has anyone had high intolerance to medication for anxiety in general? I feel better off it than on it. And I feel not so great off it. :shrug:

alias_kev
02-05-09, 11:53
That's a pretty severe reaction to a single 5mg dose. I'm not doubting its possible BUT if you are suffering anxiety/stress those conditions are quite capable of producing the other effects on their own. ie. Worry + Worry about your condition + Worry about the new meds.... Its never pretty.

Most people seem to given Escitalopram to take in the morning, rather than at night. My personal theory is that the raised serotonin levels can disturb sleep (as it normally naturaly drops overnight). So it can aid sleep by lowering anxiety or worsen it due to higher brain/dream/recall activity.

I also found its impact on my system was reduced by taking it after meals. Certainly I had less severe side effects even at the start than many report.

Good luck with this. You may be highly sensitive to some meds, or this med, or as I said an anxious person is not the simplest patient. I know several people who get "toilet issues" from just their anxiety. Its worth persevering BUT do contact your GP if the problem persists.

From anecdotes on the forum Escitalopram can be one of the friendlier SSRIs so you would need to be wary of all of these.

Lucky07
02-05-09, 20:11
That's a pretty strong reaction but the first 2 weeks on Lexapro can be HARD. I stuck it out and after 2 weeks I started feeling really good, then after about 4 weeks I was golden. I stayed on for about 6 months then got off. I want to get back on it again but I'm afraid of those first 2 weeks. I had crazy racing thoughts, trouble sleeping, and worry that I was "going crazy".

SleeplessFog
02-05-09, 23:15
Thanks for the replies. I finially got in touch with my GP yesterday evening. He said to try a 1/4 of a pill with food to see how I felt. Well, I couldn't eat enough last night to take it, so I didn't. He said if a 1/4 pill didn't work out then I should stop taking it.

I could hardly eat yesterday. I slept better last night, but I seem to have a similar reaction to other medications.

madelaine
03-05-09, 00:31
jist off after 20 yrs so the feelins r rather s**tty but do eas in time good luck

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter