PDA

View Full Version : Cipralex and thoughts....

mjh74
22-08-05, 00:05
Hi all,

I've mentioned this in another post but....

I started Cipralex about 3 or so months ago, maybe 4 and started on 5mg, I felt a slight improvement but nothing major so I moved up to 10mg and started to feel a bit better again. I was still panicing about my throat but the panic has subsided a bit. What I did notice was suggestive thoughts which I thought was down to the anxiety. I went back to see my gp a month ago and started on 20mg and felt even better again with regards to the anxiety and how I reacted to the way I make my throat feel but these suggestive thoughts have got a lot stronger. I can barely look at an object like a bottle top, coin or any similar small object without feeling that I have it in my throat and it makes my throat tighten. The strange thing is, due to the positive effect from the pills, I'm not bursting out into sudden panic and trying to stifle a heave but it's so uncomfortable and leads me to work my throat. I can remember having a similar side effect from CipraMIL but these were about a different issue (depression) but still the same sort of mechanism. The CBT counsellors that I was seeing at the time said that it was most likely the effect of the SSRI's. I read in the leaflet things about "mania" and other things that could relate to what I'm experiencing.

It's not pleasant AT all but the flip side of the coin is that it's allowing me to cope with this unpleasantness but should I have to? I'm not sure whether I can go through weening off a 3rd drug in 8 months and if so to try what??

Has anyone else experience similar with Cipramil/Cipralex at all or am I the only one here??

Mark

seh1980
22-08-05, 10:08
hi Mark,

I was on Cipralex for 13 months and I never experienced anything like that. Are you sure it's a side-effect of the meds? If the thoughts are about choking (the same ones you had before) how can you be sure it's not just the anxiety causing them?

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

mjh74
22-08-05, 14:34
Hi Sarah,

I went to see my GP today and spoke to him about it. He said yes, that he'd heard of similar from others taking SSRI's and it is pharmecutically known (if that's how it's spelt!). The trade off is that I feel good on the pills other than the slight adverse affects I'm having. I am going to stick with it for a month or 2 more. I've only been on the 20mg for just under a month now so it may settle again.

Mark x

seh1980
22-08-05, 17:35
hi Mark,

Glad that your GP was helpful. I think you're right in waiting a few more months and seeing how you're doing then. Hope things get better for you!!

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Phill2
21-09-05, 11:04
I had the same thoughts for a few months before I started any meds but they just disappeared on their own.
I'm on Lexapro (Cipralex) and so far so good
Phill

Yesterday's History,Tomorrows A Mystery,Today Is A Gift - Thats Why They Call It The Present

mjh74
21-09-05, 18:03
Hi Phill,

Thanks for your reply. My thoughts are starting to settle down a bit now, no where near as bad as they were. I think it could have been my switch in dose.

Fingers crossed!

Mark

ANXIETY26
21-09-05, 18:15
Hi Mark,

I've been on Cipramil in the past and have found them very helpful for suppressing my unwanted thoughts and OCD. Hang on in there and things will get better.

Good Luck Mate!