PDA

View Full Version : CBT-finishing soon

Anna C
02-05-09, 09:56
Hello,

I wondered how people who have had CBT on the nhs cope when it ended.
My therapist has told me I can have 8 more. I can spread them out so I have one a month so I could still see her until the end of the year. By that time I would have seen her 19 times so I suppose I'm luckier than some people.

But I feel gutted and really down today, I know I will still see her for a while and she has given me alot of notice, she said she could refer me to someone else but isn't sure if I'll benefit as its the same as what I'm doing now or I could get referred to see her again. Although she said she would like me to not have therapy for a few months to see how I cope without it!

So I just wondered if people have felt ready to leave after nhs CBT or if you struggled and how you coped.

I think I probably need to find a network of people, before I stop seeing her
so I have some support, not just for anx/panic but so I have people around me, but as I have social phobia this will be hard! My sister knows and has been supportive, and tells me to ring her whenever I need to or want to, but she doesn't really know what its like.
I feel like I am losing someone who has been supportive and understands what its like, and I'm scared that without her help, or the incentive to do my homework, I will go back to being how I was before.
Thanks for listening. Anna x

closetpanicker
11-05-09, 23:13
Anna, I found myself in a similar position at the start of the year, when my NHs cbt came to an end. I think the thing to remember is part of your road to recovery is stopping therapy. I would spread out your final sessions so the gaps between them are longer apart, maybe two weeks at the beginning growing to two months apart at the end. Also get as much out of these final sessions as you can, bring all questions you have to the table. Hopefully by doing this by the time your therapy ends you will have all the knowledge you require to cope on your own.

You'll be fine anna, I've managed to cope without my therapist and so will you! Also by the time your therapy ends you'll be stronger, wiser and better equipped to cope on your own.

Good luck anna and don't worry!
Lee

Anna C
12-05-09, 16:39
Hi Lee,

Thank you for your reply and the good advice, I really hope you are right and I can cope by the time therapy ends, I think what you say is good advice about leaving longer spaces between therapy, so it lasts longer.

Well done for coping without CBT and I wish you lots of luck.

fillyjonk
13-05-09, 09:23
Hi Anna,

Sounds like you've already convinced yourself you will not cope without your cbt therapist!!!!! I know its going to be at the back of your mind. You have a lot of sessions left - a lot of people don't get this many and it is supposed to be a short term therapy. Lee is right, make longer breaks between the sessions, you may find that you don't need them by the time they finish anyway. It's not helpful to see your therapist as a crutch as at the end of the day it is only ourselves that can help ourselves, even though we need help on the way from others :) Sure you will be fine.

freakedout
14-05-09, 01:32
Hi Anna,

I have had therapy with a psychologist for just over a year which has included CBT but also mindfulness and a whole heap of mixed up therapy, no idea what! I have my last session on Monday because my T is leaving and I am gutted. My relationship with my T has been mostly good although there have been some rocky sessions and lack of trust and feeling invalidated by him occasionally, the positives are that I have felt heard, understood and he has been warm, caring and very supportive during some very difficult times. I have shared things with him that few people know about, things I cannot cope with or begin to know how to deal with. Sorry I don't want to hijack your thread but I do know how it feels. I feel like someone is dying, I am trying to brace myself for this loss. It seems huge, I feel like I will not cope and i too feel depressed (nothing new there then!!!). Then I feel angry at myself for being so blummin pathetic and needy. At least you have a few months to work on your therapy terminating, use this time well and if you are worrying too much about finishing maybe bring it up at your next appointment so that you can chat about it then plan to address it again nearer the end of your therapy.

Try not to let this spoil the rest of your therapy although I realise this is easier said than done. I wish you well.

Freaky

Anna C
16-05-09, 22:11
Hi
Thanks for the replies.

Fillyjonk - you are right when you say that I have convinced myself that I won't cope! I do wonder if I am starting to see her as a 'safe person' but she has really helped me. Thanks for the advice.

Freaky- I totally relate to how you are feeling and you didn't hijack my thread as I wanted to know if anyone knew what it felt like. I'm sorry your therapist is leaving and you feel so down about it.
As you say at least I have time to get used to it. I agree when you say about it feeling like a huge loss and it being too hard to cope with. Also about feeling pathetic and needy as that's how I feel too, I expected therapy to help, but I didn't expect to feel so low when I was told it was ending, although of course I knew it had to end at some point.
Would it be possible for you to see someone else if you don't feel ready to end therapy? I know it would be hard to see someone else as you have to get to know and trust someone different and I know that will be hard for you, but maybe its an option.
Thank you for the advice. Good luck for your CBT on Monday, I wish I knew what to say to make you feel better, but I do know how you're feeling.

Take care Anna x