PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of Tongue Cancer. :<

Kraggy
02-05-09, 10:36
Im terrified again, About half a week ago I went to the doctor to show her some weird lump under my tongue, but said it looked pretty normal, but i've seen a picture of starting tongue cancer and it looks EXACTLY the same as the lump that I have in my mouth...its located on the thin line that attaches the tongue to the bottom of the mouth...I have also been feeling my mouth bottom with my tongue alot for the past few days, and I keep feeling little hard lumps all over the place...its really scaring me alot :<

Anyone around with an explanation how that lumpy thingy at that thin line is normal? How most people have it or something? :<

xfilme
02-05-09, 11:01
I also went through a period of severe anxiety over tongue cancer.... at times the fear returns. I went to my dentist and asked him to to a thorough check because my mum had cancer and I was anxious. He said there was nothing there.

Tell me more about this lump? Does it hurt? If it is on the skin that joins your tongue and the base of your mouth, it could just be your salivary glands.... sometimes they get blocked....

Could it be an ulcer? Has it DEFINITELY NOT always been there and you've only just noticed it?

Do you smoke? How long has it been like it? Did you point it out to your doctor? Have you seen a dentist?

I have three small lumps in the base of my mouth but they have always been there.

Give more info and we will see if we can advise you from our own experiences or suggest where to seek your reassurance x

Kraggy
02-05-09, 11:05
Naw, I dont smoke. My parents both do though, So I often inhale the stuff even though I odnt want to.

As for the lumps, I dont know for how long they've been there to be honest...I think they have been there in the past, but for some reason they look diffirent : /

No, They do nut hurt at all..I did point it out to my doctor, but she said it looked normal...but meh, she also said that she did not feel a lump that both me & a dentist clearly felt, so I dont have alot of trust in her :P

I have visited a dentist in the past, but not over the particular lump that scares me so much at this point..

Kraggy
02-05-09, 11:35
Hrmsh, A link at the bottom of those post led me to

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12517

Which seems to be just about the same thing that I am afraid off, Maybe its just my mind playing tricks on me that it looks weird then..Hrmsh.. : /

xfilme
02-05-09, 20:47
I spoke to my dentist when I was freaking out about 2 months ago over possibly having oral cancer.... he told me that if you dont smoke, there is almost no risk at all of it being cancer as 99% of them are from HEAVY smokers, so even light smokers arent likely to have oral cancer. It is also worth noting that oral cancer these days is extremely rare, unless you live in a place like the USA where they have a tendency to use chewing tabacco. You really dont need to be worrying, it was probably there all along. I freaked exactly like you did the first time I stuck a torch in my mouth to investigate (yes I know, I do myself no favours sometimes) and noticed my taste buds on the back of my tongue and presumed it was tumours.... Tell me more about the lump and exactly where it is and what its like and I shall examine my own mouth and try and put your mind at rest. x

Kraggy
03-05-09, 01:16
Haha, Thank you very much...

Well I just looked up a screenshot, No symptons just screenshots of tongues to see if others had it aswell :P

and I ended up with

http://www.blueskydentaloffice.com/images/lingualfrenum.jpg

The Warton's Ducts, they look alot like what im seeing, except mine seems alot more rough & lumpy, but meh..if the doctor says it looks fine I guess I should just learn to frigging accept it like my parents say :P