PDA

View Full Version : Operation anxiety

septimus
02-05-09, 10:41
I have to undergo a hernia op in about 10 days time, and I am pretty anxious about it. I feel physically sick when I think about it. It's to be done under a local anaesthetic, and I should be home in a few hours to recuperate. I've waited many months for the op, and been off work (manual job) for that long as well. My GP says it a very common operation, and many thousands of people have it done every year. Any suggestions for relieving my anxiety?

PUGLETMUM
02-05-09, 10:45
:) keep busy, read, do puzzles,play computer games,watch tv, deep breath, muscle relaxation - loads and loads of things will help to occupy you , but you will prob still feel nervous - why wouldnt you? most ppl do - an operation is and operation after all - its unknown to you, it could hurt, etc etc but after you will be well, so it will be well worth it, just keep telling yourself this, and also no matter what ppl say about the nhs you are in very very good hands, take care and good luck - 10 days will be here and gone before you know it - look to life after the op:yesyes:

septimus
02-05-09, 12:43
Thanks for the reply emmas. I tend to dwell on all the negative aspects of anything that I have to do, rather than take a positive approach. Always been like that, whether it's holidays, going to the doctor, eating out or just seeing friends. Keeping busy, however, does take your mind off things you'd rather not think about.

PUGLETMUM
03-05-09, 11:29
:yesyes: yes it does, and ive always been the same aswell - but now im learning new ways of relating to these fears through practising mindfulness and it is amazing how you can accept these fears and not actually want to be rid of them, that can help too? you feel anxious and you accept you feel anxious, amazingly you feel less anxious:winks:

septimus
03-05-09, 18:03
Thanks for the info on mindfulness. I've had a look at what it's all about here on No More Panic and other websites. What is the best source to learn how to practise it? There seems to be a lot written about it, some not too easy to understand!

septimus
14-05-09, 18:24
Well, I had the op on Tuesday after many days of dreadful anxiety. All the nurses, doctors etc. were wonderful. So much for people who slag off the NHS. They couldn't do enough for you. I had a Valium in the morning and they let me have another a couple of hours before the op (plus the sedation) I cannot tell you how relieved I am it's all over now.
Once you have done the things you fear most, the anxiety is diminished. A hospital operation is something you have to undergo to get better, and unlike the fear of flying for instance, there is no alternative.
Thank you NMP for this brilliant and helpful forum!