PDA

View Full Version : Calming myself down

ElizabethJane
02-05-09, 15:25
I have recently had a bad time with various medications and I am now back to my existing medication. I think that the new meds which I no longer take were masking the panic attacks and the anxiety. At the moment feel much more alert than on loads of drugs and less anxious. I'm prey to panic and anxiety. Walking seems to help with the anxiety but that isn't always practical. I was worrying and panicing before I got up this morning and almost wanting to take valium when I was out walking this morning. I dont want to have these feelings again they just seem to creep and creep is the operative word as sometimes the panic is under my skin. It is horrible because I want to fidget or move. I hope I'm making sense here just want to stay calm before a full blown panic attack.

kyle82
02-05-09, 16:00
what i do to calm myself is to think and focus with just one thing... thinking of several things and a little of that paranoia can really kill your brain and that would affect you emotionally. try that .

Utility
03-05-09, 20:36
Hi

Do you do any sort of exercise or yoga? Both may help.

bobobob
03-05-09, 20:50
Welcome to this site.

ElizabethJane
03-05-09, 21:17
I do lots of things - but that might just be the point. Maybe sometimes I try to do too much. I belong to three choirs work part time do pilates and swim each week. The singing helps to loosen me up but sometimes it is stressful if we have a concert coming up I feel a clash of loyalties. with rehearsals clashing. I've dropped the pilates until September partly because the sit up type exercises make me nauseous and I have been very ill with my asthma recently. I was just trying to describe the feeling of the anxiety rising and wanting to fidget to walk about (pacing) Sometimes head feels as if it going to burst. This anxiety feeling under the skin I'm sure is a reaction to the various meds that I have been on. I have just been answering a PM and I'm sure that it might be time to ask for some hypnosis again even if it is short term. Also it would be private and I would have to pay for it.

mdLc
05-05-09, 22:02
Hi....I have suffered from panic attacks since 1997..at that time i was put on prozac and it worked wonders...didnt get another full blown attack until 2003 after a very stressful time in my life..went back on the prozac and it made me feel worse so i stopped taking them. I have lived the last 7 years without any meds but with manageable panic attacks and anxiety. These last few months have again become EXTREMELY stressful and there are events that are driving me crazy..stress is back and my attacks are worse than ever.
I have taken a personal leave of absence from work and need to return at the end of the month..BUT I dont want to.
Went back to see a therapist and was prescribed zoloft and it is making me feel worse than before. my dr assured me that the side effects will go away but i have not been able to eat for the last 9 days. and find that the panic returns the minute i open my eyes in the morning.

I have tried to occupy myself with ways to get out of the attacks and ive found (crazy as its gonna sound) that playing tetris on my daughters DS helps divert my attention..I also find myself pacing back and forth with a yo-yo. (also keeps my mind off the attacks)..Also been reading books.

maybe some of these will help for you...
(Hugs)
M