PDA

View Full Version : Working issues

Rhiannon_julia
03-05-09, 00:02
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else has had experience dealing with an employer relating to haveing anxiety and panic attacks?

Im currently on a phased return to work after a long period of sickness, for me I realised that pushing myself and returning would benefit me more than not being at work but also financially I have to work, sadly this phased return has taken longer than expected due to the NHS taking their sweet time in giving me any support with my illness.

The problem is that my managers and the HR dept have been completely unsupportive and have impossed a new 'part time' contract on me among many other things, they also dont understand whats wrong with me at all which doesnt help. Im at my wits end and dont know what to do its making me worse haveing to fight every day on top of trying to deal with my illness as it is.

I just wondered if anyone has had similar experiences and any advice.

It would be very greatfully recieved.

Best Wishes to all

Love
Rhiannon xx

lotte_82
05-05-09, 16:59
Hi...Im sort of in a similar boat to you, but I am still no where near to returning to work....I have been off since the end of February and work insist on ringing me on a fortnightly basis and doing a home visit every 4 weeks. A bit like your situation....my employer does not understand anything in relation to the anxiety / depression. I am due a visit this Friday and my anxiety is going through the roof at the minute :mad:

Anyway just wanted to let you know that you are not on your own :hugs:

Well done though for the return to work :yesyes:

Rhiannon_julia
05-05-09, 23:56
I was off for three months myself, and although its been an awful struggle especially with work It has helped getting back into work as I'm sure I would be worse if I stayed off, but take your time have they offerred you a phased return?? are you getting support from your GP??

I know its rubbish having the visits but remember you have nothing to prove, you are ill and its for them to respect that and support you in getting back to work when your ready.

If you need to talk im here to listen.

Big hugs xxx

melody
06-05-09, 08:43
Hi Rhiannon,

I had a problem returning to work because of my injury. Work pushed me harder than I could go when I came back & I had my first panic attack & collapsed on the floor in pain. Then they made me sit for an hour discussing it although I felt suffocated still. Everyone gossiped about me. Called me a faker. I had 3 months off trying to get pain down. They pressured me all the time & I had to go to dr. & then see work every week. I grew terrified of work & didn't feel safe about it. They were rude to me. I was very scared of work. It took years to get so I felt safe at work, it wasn't at the same job, or even in the same industry.

I think the major thing that stands out to me is that you have a choice in all of this. They can't force you to sign anything, no matter how much they try to intimidate you. No job is worth throwing away your health for. There are a lot of jobs out there. They are all very different for different people. You are not trapped in this situation, even though they may make you feel like you are, going on & on about how much of a favour they do for you. Don't let them make you feel guilty, there is nothing to feel guilty about.

If you aren't allowed breaks when you feel unwell, every hour if you need to pause for a moment & remember you are strong enough. You are very resilient. Try to focus only on the job at hand. Break it up into small pieces & concentrate on one bit at a time. Inside congratulate yourself for each part of the work you achieve. If anyone is mean to you, remember they are the ignorant idiots, not you! They are hardened so they can never see or feel anything real. That's how the people I had to deal with were. Smile. It infuriates them! Speak the truth, "I am doing the very best I am able to do!" Know within yourself that it's true, no matter what they say to you.

The lesson I wish I had learned to avoid the breakdown in my health is that each of us has the right to say NO! An assertive person knows when they are being reasonable & sticks to their guns. I have tried to educate myself on assertiveness & building boundaries which is relevant to what happened. There is much more to life than only a job! You have the choice to stay, or go elsewhere, don't you????

Even now years later it's still fresh. I feel like they betrayed me by pushing me to hurt myself both mentally & physically. Worse I feel like it was my fault! I feel like a failure about it! Getting fired from that place, while scary was the best thing that ever happened to me!!! My life began again at that time. I found freedom in not being stifled. I retrained cause I had to. Then I found a type of work I could be good at without having to give up my spirit for. I feel like life gave me a second chance. Not all employers are like that! There are places where you can be appreciated, although I can't say it was easy to do.

Perhaps you think I'm talking rubbish? I feel it so overwhelmingly like there's no other possible way to see it in retrospect of what that time was like, compared to my new life now.

I think this will be a temporary situation for you. Be strong. Take each day as it comes. Just be aware of the way you are being treated. Do you deserve that, or do you deserve better??? If you aren't receiving politeness, then I think you do deserve better. There may be a place that is more right for you. Keep an open mind :) I feel so strongly that they aren't treating you right & you should be rid of them!

Sorry for being bossy. It makes me soooo.... mad that employers can think its ok to treat anyone like they dont matter. Its not right! You dont deserve it. I never deserved it! It will all work out!