PDA

View Full Version : vertigo, diziness

Maddieg
22-08-05, 10:54
I have suffered with depression and anxiety for a long time, i'm 35 now. Over the past few years my panic attacks have increased in frequency and severity. Earlier this year I lost my mother-in-law to cancer and since then I have been off work with anxiety related symptoms. My doctor has diagnosed anti-depressants but I wont take them because i panic about the side-effects etc. I have been obsessing about my health for years and this too has increased in frequency recently. Im convinced that i have had a brain tumour for about 10 years!

Ironically, last month I had a new symptom to add to my collection - vertigo. This really freaked me out and i was convinced that this was a sign that my brain tmour was getting bigger. After 2 days the vertigo went. This weekend my son had to go into hospital to have a cyst removed and i stayed with him. No vertigo, dizziness etc. at all while in hospital with him, but this morning i have woken up with terrible vertigo and dizziness. I am sure that i am going to die today, i have had a massive panic attack, im numb on one side of my face and head and im crying as i type this. I am undergoing hypnotherapy treatment and emotional freedom techniques but i feel as though im under a big black cloud and something terrible is going to happen. I feel that im never going to get better and this health obsessing is starting to take over my life. Can anyone tell me if they feel this bad or have ever felt like this or am i mad? :(

Piglet
22-08-05, 13:02
Hi Maddie

No hun definately not going mad, all sounds like the usual unpleasant anxiety stuff.

The vertigo is horrible and when I first had it I was very scared - when I stopped being quite so scared it definately subsided. I do still get patches of it but now try to work alongside it.

Stick with it on here and I'm sure you'll start to feel some reassurance which in turn will help to ease your general anxiety levels and you can certainly see you are not on your own.

Love Piglet:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Barb
22-08-05, 13:12
Hi Maddieg

Of course you are not going mad. I have had vertigo its really frightening. Then 2 weeks ago I had a real bad turn I really thought I was having a stroke, the doc come out and it was labyrinthitus I also got terrified even after the doc had reassured me, but am on the mend now.
My panic attacks have also increased this past year and I sometimes wonder how I carry on, but we do. I dont know how many times I have thought I am going to die today but still here. Have you tried No Panic they have a 10am to 10pm helpline every day of the year. You can have a 6 weekly mentoring course. I am on my 2nd one ( excellant) and free except for the price of the phonecall. The hepliners are all so kind and have all suffered themselves, it was certainly my turning point even though I have a long way to go.
I hope this helped a little bit.
Take care

Luv Barb xxxxxx

removed
22-08-05, 13:17
Hi Maddie
Please dont worry about the vertigo.
I wonder if you are getting headaches and that is why you are worrying about a brain tumour?
Years ago, I started with vertigo and headaches during a very stressful time in my life.
Found out it was migraine. Did you know that another symptom of migraine is one sided numbness on your face and head?
It could well be that.
You have been under a lot of stress and you coped. Now it is over you have understandably reacted.
You are certainly not going mad.
Why do we always worry about a brain tumour?
Its grim isn't it?
Hope you will feel better soon
Love Janet c

Maddieg
22-08-05, 13:37
Thanks Piglet and Barb

I am getting headaches-also onesided (same side as the numbness therefore justifying my belief that i have a tumour).

I didn't know that numbness was a side effect of migraine. I do get migraines in fact I had my first ever one 6 years ago following a miscarriage. I had flashing lights and visual disturbances and thought i was having a brain haemorrage or stroke. I haven't had the visual things for a while so thought i had stopped having migraines but reading your post maybe i am getting migraines again just a different kind.

Anyway thanks again and sorry if i sound self-obsessed [Sigh...]

Maddie

Meg
22-08-05, 14:45
Often you cope through difficult situations but its a few days later it all hits you

If you have had migraines, anxiety can aggrevate it.

Headaches (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2098)
headaches (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4794)

walking funny, head rushes and dizziness (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3610)
Head Rush (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4301)
Sounds daft I know, but head shivers! Eh?? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3814)

Numbness in arm (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2671)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Martin
23-08-05, 13:14
Don't worry Maddieg, its all part of the anxiety. I've been almost constantly dizzy for a year, except on days when I don't worry or am preoccupied with something else.

Yours sound a lot like it, I think you should take the big cue that while you were concerned about your son in the hospital, you didn't feel any of this and it only came back when you had some "free time" to think about it again.

-Martin

------------------------------
I'm not insane.. really

Maddieg
24-08-05, 13:18
Thanks Martin

I have thought a lot about that...and how if it really was a brain tumour then i dont' think it would have taken the weekend off and left me symptom free. When i think like that i feel ok...for a second!

Im dizzy again today and ive got hypnotherapy this afternoon so maybe i'll feel better [^]

Thanks again, take care Maddie x

cassi23
20-11-07, 11:00
i've just started having vertigo, very frightening, also i sometimes get tinnitus/ringing in ears which scares me. I too am convinced i've got a brain tumor and am going to die and leave my baby girl behind.

Going to see the doctor thursday so hopefully some reassurance will calm me back down :(

Anyone else also get the ringing in the ears?

Believe
20-11-07, 11:22
Hello Cassi,

Yes I have ringing in my ears. The more stressed I get the louder the sound. I have had my ears checked, and they have told me I do have some hearing lost. I haven't found anything that helps it, if you do please let me know.

neptuno
20-11-07, 15:34
Hello Maddie !
You've already worked this one out for yourself ! Your symptoms are of panic, stress and anxiety. When you were concerned for your son they all disappeared. They only came back when you started thinking about yourself and winding up all that negative talk. I note you are having EFT sessions - so try this .......

Even though ....
I'm frightening myself with negative talk - I deeply ........
I fear I have a major illness - I deeply ......
I hate the way I feel - I deeply ............

I accept where I am right now ....
I thank my body for looking after me.....
I choose to stay calm and relaxed ......

Keep tapping and be kind to yourself