PDA

View Full Version : dealing with a friend with depression

artyemma
03-05-09, 20:38
Hi folks I wouldnt mind some advice on my current situation. Its just a friend of mine has depression but it seems to be making him quite irritable and im finding it hard to deal with (i also have depression but im more of the passive, tearful type). I mean he's not shouting at me all the time or anything like that but its just the fact he says things in a real abrupt manner and makes snide sarcastic comments. Plus he can get into these real nihlistic temperaments in which to almost everything he just shrugs his shoulders and says "I dont care".

Even though this has been going on for some months ive let a lot of the comments just pass by as I know he's not well. However yesterday I couldnt come around his house as I wasnt very well (with my depression which I thought he could empathise with) and he said "oh sod you then". I didnt react to this but later I texted to say please could he not say that to me and I apologised for not coming around. His response was "If you dont like what I say then dont talk to me."

I just dont know how to respond to that, I feel like im banging my head against a brick wall. I want to be sensitive to his needs but then I cant have him upsetting me the whole time.

Thanks for reading

Emma
x

guardian angel
04-05-09, 15:22
Emma

You sound like a wonderful friend, wish I had more people like you in my life but I guess you do too.
Read your message as if someone else had written it and try to give yourself an honest answer, I think you know what people are likely to say to you on this one.
xx