PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks

Acorn
03-05-09, 23:11
I'm so scared right now. I suffer from OCD and last Wednesday i had a major panic attack. I was asleep and awoke to a taste of blood in my mouth. Still half asleep i felt my heart skip a beat. I went into sheer panic.

I got a sudden hot rush flood through my body, pins and needles in both hands, arms and my chest. I had a pain in my chest, i felt as though i could not breath and i felt like i was having a heart attack.

I woke my partner who tried to calm me down. She tried to reassure me that it was a panic attack, as she gets them all the time, but i could not take it in. As far as i was concerned it was a heart attack and i was dying.

I ran into my front room shouting for an ambulance, but my partner said i did not need one. After talking to my mum on the phone, i did mange to calm down, though the panic returned moments later. After about four more attacks, i convinced my wife to take me to the hospital.

We got a bus up and the nurse took my blood pressure, temperature and my heart rate. She then sent me to see the G.P. who confirmed it was a panic attack.

I went home and tried to get some sleep.

The next day i felt OK. I felt as though i had been give a second chance at life.

But it it not last long. I have since been having mutable panic attacks. I went to the hospital again and this time then checked my heart. They did a chest x-ray, an ECG, they took blood from my arteries to check my oxygen levels, and took bloods tests to check other things. All came back fine. They also agreed that it was a panic attack.

Even though i keep telling myself that I'm OK, that i have had all the tests and that I'm not going to die, i just cant stop thinking that i am. I have developed a great awareness of my breathing and keep feeling like I'm not getting enough oxygen.

I keep taking deep breaths, which makes my lungs and chest hurt and then i start off a panic attack. Once i calm down i still feel as though i cant breath and the whole process stats again. I also just cant stop crying and thinking about death.:weep:

I guess its my fear that is bringing on the panic attack, and the anxiety of not being able to breath. I'm trying so hard to try and forget but i just cant seem to cope or stop it. I have gone back onto Beta Blockers and have just started on Chlorpromazine, as well as being on Citalopram.

I'm just so scared right now and dont know what to do.

mothermac
04-05-09, 01:18
This sounds like a major panic scenario and if it makes you feel any better I also have woken up suddenly with a taste in my mouth once and actually thought my spit(pardon the phrase)was laced with red when I spat into the bathroon sink,my husband said I had been eating crisps earlier that evening and I had had probably caught my tongue,nothing sinister and I haven't had it since.
It's reasurring to know you are ok,the doctors would not have sent you home if they thought anything was remotely wrong with you,if your ecg is fine and bloods are ok then you are OK!! believe me when I say this but our brain is the most powerful computer in the world and it can make us think and do all sorts of strange things and all we can do is ride it out.I have suffered from anxiety in some form or other all my life,even as a child and I know deep down that it is the way I think that's the problem,if I had something seriously wrong with me I would feel ill most of the time and I don't ,so I know it's anxiety playing the game.Panic attacks can be very very frightening and I have even had one at work but it passed after 10 minutes or so and I carried on,it was like nothing had happened but when I was in it I felt as though I was dying and something awful was going to happen.It does sound as though you are having a tough time at the moment but I reassure you ,you are not dying and it's only anxiety plagueing you nothing else,it's good you have a partner who can help you through this,I have suffered for a long time now and my husband has been there for me all the way,pm me if you need to talk and I will try and help but everyone here will support you,so good luck and keep smiling.

melody
04-05-09, 11:36
My doctor had me write down everything about the panic attacks. It went something like this. I think it's a good place to start because it helps you slow down & have awareness & understanding of why the panic attacks occur. You write down about every single panic attack you have for at least 2 weeks for it to work properly. It helps you find out possible triggers, if there is something like forgetting to eat, or something reminds u of something. It shows you if there are any improvements or changes, or if there is a pattern to it. If you need to get treatment, it shows the doctor the scale of the problem which helps with communication.

What time did it occur?
eg. middle of the night
What day of the week is it?
eg.last Wednesday
What was I doing at the time?
eg. I was asleep and awoke to a taste of blood in my mouth. Still half asleep i felt my heart skip a beat. I went into sheer panic.
What problem/issue was I thinking/worrying about at the time?
eg.i felt like i was having a heart attack
I'm so scared right now
What symptoms did you feel?
I got a sudden hot rush flood through my body, pins and needles in both hands, arms and my chest. I had a pain in my chest, i felt as though i could not breath and i felt like i was having a heart attack
How did you react when the panic attack occurred?
I ran into my front room shouting for an ambulance, but my partner said i did not need one. After talking to my mum on the phone, i did mange to calm down, though the panic returned moments later. After about four more attacks, i convinced my wife to take me to the hospital.
What was the outcome of whatever I was thinking doing at the time?
The next day i felt OK. I felt as though i had been give a second chance at life.

I know you already gave all that information, but it helps break it up & stick to what's important. It gives you something to compare each panic attack with & establish the pattern. Finding what's causing them is a huge step towards overcoming them.

Panic attacks cause a build up of carbon dioxide in the system because you keep breathing out too much, which causes the scary feelings. It's important to exhale slowly & squeeze out every last bit of air in your lungs as well as inhale. Try to get the airflow through your belly so you feel iyour belly rise & fall with each breath. This will help get the breath away from the chest which reduces the chest pain a little. Deep breathing is hard to break out of, it's only meant to be a 10 minute exercise. It takes practice to learn to soften your breath & have your breath not go for as long. It's an adrenaline thing. I think time was the only thing that helped me with that.

The doctor might be able to explain it better?

I hope that wasn't too bossy. That was my first step that I made on the way towards my recovery.

Best wishes :)

Melody