PDA

View Full Version : Just signed in!

Parker
22-08-05, 13:00
Hi all.

Really glad to find a place like this. Came across it yesterday and just reading some of the posts made me realise that I'm not alone or going mad!

Things get me down sometimes because t feels that I have no control over my thought patterns and my brain goes off in the opposite direction that I want it to and I end up in this world of panic.

These feeling have only really been a problem for me over the last 6 months or so. My mother died last September and I never really dealt with it at the time. Then in January of this year my wife and I split up and it's really been since I've realised that we are not going to get back together that I've been feeling like this.

I've been to see my GP and although she was very understanding she wasn't much help. She offered me some kind of medication, which I declined. She then suggested that I start taking St John's Wort which I have been doing for about a month. I've also been seeing a private psychotherapists but I can't really see it going anywhere with her so I thinking about finding a new one (anyone know a good one in or around Cambridge).

Take care :D

Piglet
22-08-05, 13:06
Hi Parker and welcome.

My anxiety started a couple of years after my marriage break up.

Maybe we'll catch you in the chatroom sometime.

Love Piglet:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

michelleann
22-08-05, 13:06
hi parker
welcome to the site:D
you will find lots of help and advice here.
take care
michelle xxx

seh1980
22-08-05, 13:41
Welcome aboard!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Barb
22-08-05, 13:49
Hi Parker

A great big welcome to the site you will get loads of help and support here

LuV Barb xxxxx

Meg
22-08-05, 13:53
Hello Parker

**reading some of the posts made me realise that I'm not alone or going mad!***

What a relief when you figure out its not just you eh...

THink carefully and do some research on what therapy you want/ need if you are going to pay for it yourself..

If your initial trigger was grief both from Mum and then from your split up you may find it beneficial to try to address that first.

'Cruse' is the national charity for bereavement and do free at home or at office counselling and can do wonders. They like a donation if possible.

As far as panic is concerned that is the result of emotional pint pot too full syndrome and has a great chance of easing once you can get through the grief.

Also, think about what trains of thoughts lead you to panic - it may be facing being left alone , or your own or others mortality...

You may not need anything as complex as psychotherapy so start simple by looking after your needs and health.

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

kazo
22-08-05, 14:35
Hi Parker

this forum is fantastic, it has given me loads of advice and everyones very friendly.

maybe catch ya in the chatroom sometime

Take care

Kazo xxx

Parker
22-08-05, 15:26
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Meg -

Wise words. I feel a lot of guilt with regards to my Mums death. She died from cancer after a long struggle. The thing is I never took it that seriously, I convinced myself that she would get better and of course she never did. My sister took the brunt of the illness - she's a nurse so she would comfort my Mum when in a lot of pain, administer her pain relief etc. In the final week my sister called me to say Mum really wasn't very well but even then I still convinced myself she would be OK.

With regards to the split from my wife I think you've hit the nail on the head with " it may be facing being left alone". I don't really miss her as a person and I wasn't happy in the relationship as things were. But now it's like S**t, I'm 31 years old, getting older and grayer by the day and now I'm by myself.

I've moved in with my Dad (who's been absolutely fantastic) but I know I can't stay there forever. I just wish I could think straight so I can move on.

Meg
22-08-05, 15:34
There you go... Don't think you need expensive psychotherapy right now.

You need to sort out your emotions and how those losses leave you feeling and how you can overcome both of them.

I bet your Dad likes the company, How is your relationship with your sister now ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Peru83
22-08-05, 15:41
WELCOME

Hi Parker,

Have you though about just approaching your gp and asking for a different councellor?

Wish you all the best and maybe speak to you in chat.

Take Carexx

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

Parker
22-08-05, 15:57
I bet your Dad likes the company, How is your relationship with your sister now ?

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 22 August 2005 : 14:34:29</div id="right">
[/quote]

If there's one good thing that's come out of all this it's that i'm now a lot closer to both my Dad and sister.

Caramel
22-08-05, 16:58
Hi Parker,

I lost my brother a couple of years ago, and it was horrendous. he was diagnosed with a brain tumour the year before, and after undergoing a couple of biopsies (YUCK! He looked like Frankenstein for a while!) The drs decided that they couldn't operate, but that at the time it wasn't cancerous. So they put him on steroids to shrink it because it was putting huge pressure on his brain and affecting his speech. These made his weight balloon, and made him feel crap but he kept going with it. Then one Sunday (a year later) my Mum called up completely out of the blue, and just said "He's gone Em" and that was it. He wasn't supposed to die - we didn't think he would, the drs didn't think he would, and so because of that I didn't spend anywhere near enough time with him (he was 24 and still living with mum and dad. I felt really guilty for ages, I was angry (not with him) and even though I was already having major problems in the panic department, it obviously escalated things a little.

The thing is Parker, what I'm trying to say is this; it WILL get better. It has for me. The grief will ease - it never completely leaves you, but it does become manageable. BUT, you must let yourself grief - both for your lovely MUM, and for the relationship you have lost (that is a grieving process too as far as I can see!) This won't happen overnight, and you can't expect it to. I just went from one day to the next at first, and if I felt like crying, I did. If I felt like having a good laugh, I did (don't ever feel guilty about it! It's OK to still laugh!), If I felt like telling everyone to go away - I did. Do what you need to do - it's different for everyone and no-one can give you the right answer unfortunately. I have a friend who had to go outside every now and again and yell at the top of his voice! ('Course, the neighbours will think you're barmy!)

But now you're here, you will never be alone - I promise.

Take care, and welcome

Emxxxxxxx

tammyg
22-08-05, 17:11
Hi Parker,

Welcome and I hope you find the support you need. Sounds like you have been given some very good advice already.

Tam x

Mcched
22-08-05, 18:04
Hi Parker

Welcome aboard!!! You are in the right place.

I too am taking St John's Wort. I have been on it for about two and a half months.

I have been through similar to you in February. My nan died and everything esculated from there and I never dealt with it. Hence 14 weeks off work and anxiety at level 10!!!

Keep going with the counselling, it's helped me heaps and can now talk about my nan without getting tearful and upset.

Take care

Nikki

sueiamnew
22-08-05, 18:25
Welcome to the site Parker.

pinkscrumpy
22-08-05, 18:50
Hi Parker

A big warm welcome to the site.

I think all has been said.

Lots of love

[^][^]

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

jill
22-08-05, 18:54
Hi Parker

WELCOME TO THE SITE :D

TKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Karen
22-08-05, 19:49
Hi Parker

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Parker
23-08-05, 07:39
Thanks again for the welcome guys. I'm overwhelmed![8D]