PDA

View Full Version : Defeating Fear

Bill
04-05-09, 02:45
I was watching Britains Got Talent last night. Did anyone else see it? Did you see the poor fella at the end who had always suffered from stage fright? It was really sad beause he has a terrific voice that everyone should hear! After his performance, he was very emotional:weep: and really trembling because it had been such an ordeal for him.:unsure:

I'm sure alot of people would have related with how he felt. Imagine having to sing to an audience knowing also it could also be broadcast to millions on Tv.:scared15:

After his performance which was rightly greeted with a standing ovation, one of the judges said to him, "You are very special" but then he added "You just need to have more self-belief!". It brought the poor fella to tears but what the judge said was quite right.

He needed self-belief for himself to overcome his fear but looking at it from another angle, the public had also been denied the privilege of hearing such a beautiful voice because of his fear! As the judge said afterwards, he really liked him....but the judge would never have met him had the fella not faced his fear.

It made me think- So often people say "I really want to go somwhere or do something etc but how do I ease my fear?" Medications? Well, yes they can help. Confront full on? Well, yes it can work but it can also ruin your confidence if you fail. So then what?

Well, as the judge said....self-belief. That's what I feel it really comes down to. You can either stay in a shell of safety or risk coming out so others can be granted the pleasure to meet you.:hugs:

So really, it's not about "How do I ease my fear". It's more about "How do I go about building self-belief to enable me to go out without feeling fear". That's the tricky bit I know!:shrug:

Ok...one day you go out, you feel absolutely fine, then half way down the road you pop into a crowded shop. You suddenly start feeling giddy, you can't breathe, you feel trapped...so you dash out and home again. You then start pondering over what happened. You begin to worry about it happening again. The next day you start thinking about going back to the shop but immediately you start feeling anxious because you're afraid it'll happen again. You therefore decide you can't face it so stay in....you then stay in the next day...then the next...and the more you think about going back to the shop, the more you feel you can't breathe even at just the thought of going out.....so you stay put.

So what changed from that day you went out feeling fine to how you are now? You lost your self-belief. In other words, you lost your confidence and it was replaced by fear.

So how do you get rid of your fear that's made its home in you? Put simply, it's remembering how you felt and were "thinking" the day you went out before it all went wrong. Were you thinking about what if you feel panic on that day? No. And nor were you thinking about panic the previous time you went out or the previous time to that....because you'd never encountered panic before.

So why did it happen on that day? Well, maybe you just had a bad night or been under alot of stress which had been building up without you realising.

Whatever the cause, (and there always is a cause), sometimes it's not always easy to ease the stress in our lives but we can learn how to remain "cool" under pressure and learn ways to keep our minds and bodies in our control which then can help along the way to getting back to how we were. Tools needed would be things such as learning to breathe correctly, adopting a positive attitude, learning how to "ignore" instead of fighting our fear and any symptoms, learning to think "outwardly" instead of "inwardly about our feelings etc.

If when you go out you then have your tools to hand, you then have something to fall back on that you know works IF panic strikes again. These tools then also provide you with support and renewed confidence. Your self-belief gradually becomes re-installed because you've then learnt to no longer be afraid of panics because you learn they can't harm you.

Fear breeds fear but Building Confidence breeds Self-Belief which then defeats fear......it just takes time and practise using the correct way of thinking with the right mental approach together with using the right techniques you've been taught.......and the best bit is....you can even teach yourself!:hugs:

maddie
04-05-09, 08:45
Thanks for those true words of wisdom, Bill. I look at all your posts because I know there are gems in each of them. You are such an inspiration.
I'm afraid of people coming near me since I was attacked in what I thought was a safe place. I've thought of taking self defence classes, but there is so much anger in me that I'm afraid I would harm anyone who happened to walk past! Any ideas please?

dave11282
04-05-09, 10:06
oh man, never a true said.

My lack of self belief and confidence has ruined my life, a life controlled by fear.

I had breakdown 4 years ago, I am just about putting it all back together now.

I just need to get the self belief back, I am going through tough time again with life, under lot of pressure, the anxiety and fear is gripping me, but I will fight back, and I will try to get some self belief back.

thanks for your post

Bill
05-05-09, 03:07
Maddie:hugs:

First of all, thank you, you're very sweet!:hugs:

I have a couple of thoughts. Learning self defence would certainly help to build your confidence so it could be a useful tool to have. However, if this incident hadn't happened you wouldn't be thinking about self defence so I wonder is it like using a hammer to crack a nut? I think it's a personal choice in the end though because if you feel it would restore your confidence then why not give it a go? It'd be a good thing to learn even if you never need it. One other thing about self defence though is that it means engaging in combat so the risk of harm "could" be greater.

My personal feeling is that if you talked to a counsellor, they would help you come to terms with your anger and when your anger has been treated, then ask yourself again if you still feel the need to learn self defence. You may or may not but at least dealing with the anger first would give you a clearer mind to decide what more if anything you need.:hugs:

Dave,

All I would say is identify your pressures and try to find ways to ease them because the anxiety is then much easier to cope with but you obviously have strength so I'm sure you'll be ok!:winks:

xBettyBoopx
05-05-09, 03:25
Love your posts Bill:) :)

Like the book title says "Feel the fear and do it anyway!"
(Can't remember the author)

If only it were that easy:weep: :weep: :weep:

The guys fear was real though, not irrational, not many people could get up on the stage & sing, even if you knew you had a very good voice.
I used to get up & do karaoke, it brought less anxiety & panic to me than going into a supermarket or into town:shrug:

I dunno, sometimes fear makes no sense & sometimes I totally understand it:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/funny-pictures-kittens-hugs-before-you-go.jpg
Love
Els
xxx

Bill
06-05-09, 03:39
Love the kittens!:hugs:

I used to get up & do karaoke, it brought less anxiety & panic to me than going into a supermarket or into town:shrug:

I dunno, sometimes fear makes no sense & sometimes I totally understand it

I've never read any anxiety books but I may have an answer for you....

When you perform karaoke, your mind is concentrated on the words to sing so you've no time to think about feelings or the audience whereas in a supermarket or walking to town you don't have enough to distract the mind away from your feelings of where you are so you become conscious of the people around you and of being in what feels an unsafe environment.:bighug1:

xBettyBoopx
06-05-09, 04:31
Yep, gotcha. I think you're absolutely right (as usual:D )

How are you anyway Bill? Hope you're ok'ish!:blush:

http://www.mybucketlist.ws/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/dolphins.jpg

And this is where I wanna be:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Patty
06-05-09, 10:35
Hi Bill, :)

Many thanks for the great post. :yesyes:

Best wishes :)

mick_uk
06-05-09, 10:43
Great post Bill,
I used to sing and play in a band, a few bands actually, but now since the anxiety has taken over a bit, I've lost all the confidence. It's weird when I think back to when I was doing that. Nothing bothered me, I had enough confidence to do anything. I know it's inside me somewhere, it's just finding that trigger to release it

mick

Bill
07-05-09, 04:56
Mick, if you Really want to get back to singing and playing in a band, why not just have a go in private for a while? It could help you to re-build your confidence. Small steps. Often we just need a taster to get the appetite going again! What have you got to lose? I'm Sure Alot of people would Love to hear you again! Post a song on youtube and we could All enjoy it!!!:shades: :winks:

Patty and Els, thank you.:hugs: I'm ok...ish. You can have one dolphin...I'll have the other! Deal? :D

mau
07-05-09, 05:44
Bill, I've been trying to get my head 'round why anyone with no talent would want to get up and sing/act/dance in front of an audience....And I cannot get to grips with show offs / no talent, attention seekers.

There is nothing brave about someone with no talent seeking attention and or adulation.

Bill
07-05-09, 14:55
Yes Mau:hugs: , I agree with what you say about that element in society but sometimes there is also genuine hidden talent that has never been given the opportunity or been overlooked for years. These with genuine talent have gone on to having millions of hits on youtube and had careers that have taken off as a result of being allowed this opportunity. It's those I enjoy watching.

However, that really wasn't the purpose of my post. Watching how he felt just "reminded" me of how sufferers also feel when they go through what to "them" is an ordeal and it was that "issue" rather than people who audition on the programme that I was really trying to highlight. I just used it as an example because it was what triggered the thought regarding the "issue" of fear.:hugs:

My posts are often triggered by something I hear or see that makes me "think of an anxiety related issue" but sometimes I feel I should try and highlight the "real issues" to my threads better. Sorry Mau.:hugs:

mau
07-05-09, 23:14
Don't apologise for goodness sake man:hugs::hugs::hugs:

I did my usual and jumped in with both feet and brain not in gear:roflmao:

Mind you I really do have a dislike of no talent show offs <shudder>