PDA

View Full Version : Help please - ladies problems...

luchipoo
04-05-09, 12:06
I have been worried for some time now about cervical cancer. I had genital warts when I was younger and I know this is a form of HPV so I'm really scared that it hasn't cleared up and is doing something horrible in my cervix. I'm too young for a smear (23) and I keep reading all these horrible things about girls my age being refused smears and now they have terminal cancer.

I had some swabs done a couple of years ago as I was having pain during sex and they were all fine - but I'm worried that the doctor might have missed something? I keep getting this weird pain in my lower abdomen - where my womb is I suppose and it's really scaring me. I went to the doctor about it not so long ago and she said it was probably hormonal - but I have just had my period so I doubt it could be this? Does anything else get these kind of pains? I'm really worried. Thanks for your help and sorry if this is a bit rambly!

wiskersonkittens
04-05-09, 12:53
In regard to the pains -- I have gotten them from time to time around the time of ovulation. It is either my left side or right side. Does that sound familiar or are yours more localized? I, personally, think you are fine. I am surprised you are too young for a PAP. I would try and get another one just to reassure yourself. It will come back neg. and you can breathe again. We women get all sorts of weird things going on with our bodies -- - just wait until you are MY age (37) Ha!! -- most of the time they are nothing to worry about. I would listen to your doctor. You did the right thing by talking about it with her. Now comes the hard part -- trusting she knows what she is talking about. I always tell myself, "If my doctor isn't worried, I'm not going to worry." However, if I could only follow that I would be just fine! ha! Please keep us posted. Hugs, Wiskers~

luchipoo
04-05-09, 12:59
Mine are more localized - right in the middle of my abdomen, in the middle of my pelvic bone I suppose. It's a weird, dull-ache, but it comes and goes - and when it comes it's only for 30 seconds or so. We have to wait until 25 to have smears here and doctors are usually very hesitant to send you for one before that. The swab I had was just for STIs I think, but it's the same as a smear, they take it from your cervix; so I don't know whether it would show something more sinister?!

luchipoo
04-05-09, 18:44
Does anyone else have any more words of wisdom on this? I'm really worried :-(

bex1970
04-05-09, 19:28
If you have had genital warts then I would think that your GP would send you for a smear to be on the safe side. There is no harm in asking. You could also go to a clinic (like Marie Stopes or something) and explain your fears.

I have had HPV (although I am much older than you - 38) twice.... both times it has been dealt with but I am fairly experienced on the smear thing. I was talking to my gynaecologist and she strongly feels that the smear age should be put back to 21 as it used to be.

Anyway, I very much doubt that you have anything to worry about but if you know you had genital warts (and you are right, it is a strain of HPV) then you are well within your rights to ask your GP for a smear and, not only that, but to insist on one.

So as not to terrify you, if you no longer have any warts.... the chances are it has cleared up and you have ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about. Loads of women have HPV and it just goes away on it's own... The pains you are describing may well be anxiety or ovulatory pain. I am ovulating at the moment and the pain is so acute that I have had to take nurofen!! It's in my pelvis and on both sides.... and I know it's not something scary as I have just had a smear and it was completely negative.... Also, I get lots of weird pains down there from time to time.... and have learnt that they are just part of every day life! Being a women sucks sometimes!!

xfilme
04-05-09, 21:12
Ok, I suspected this was the case but I've just checked it up on Wikipedia.... I quote directly:

"HPV types that tend to cause genital warts are not the same ones that cause cervical cancer."

I hope that reassures you :)[ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_papillomavirus#cite_note-CDCFactHPV-35)