PDA

View Full Version : Terrified about having a brain tumor

pandawanda
04-05-09, 23:39
It all started two months ago when I came back from a three week vacation in Florida. There I walked 3 miles every day, ate healthy, and just relaxed. I got back home and new that I was in for some crazy times. I am 18 years old and I started to look for an apartment that I was going to live in alone. I started to have trouble going to the bathroom, and I began to worry a lot about it. I was constantly thinking about it and thinking that I had something wrong with me. (I have no history of anxiety, but I've always been a worry wart.) Then a few days after that problem started, I began to have chest pains. I was scared to fall asleep because I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I of course started to lose myself to the world of Google and WebMD and started to diagnose myself with many different problems. I also had been watching episodes of Grey's Anatomy, which is why I think I suddenly became so scared that I had something serious. I went to the doctors and did an EKG, it came back fine. I had blood work done, and that came back perfect. My blood pressure was fine, and my Dr. started me on busiprone.

About a week later (I stopped taking the busiprone because it gave me nightmares) I started to get headaches. My immediate thought was that it was because of a brain tumor or a brain aneurism. And now I cannot get that out of my mind. I have other symptoms - my arms sometimes feel funny, I get pain behind my eyes, fatigue, sometimes nausea, I sometimes shake, feel so weird, legs hurt. I know this is all made worse by searching on the internet but I can't help myself. I live in hell thinking that I have a brain tumor and that I'm going to die soon. It's all I can think about and even thouhg I know deep down I don't have a brain tumor, and that my anxiety is what's causing every single symptom, I just can't get it off my mind. PArt of me just wants to sleep all day because it's the only escape I can get from the thoughts. I want to go to the Dr. to put my mind at rest, but part of me is so terrified that they're going to find a tumor that I have canceled an appointment that I have made and am scared to go.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me get my mind off of it? I feel like I am going crazy and that I'm just going to pass out because of the fear. Sometimes I sit at home and start to cry from being so frustrated. And of course I think that the anxiety and frustration is just another symptom of the tumor. My mom says that if I had brain cancer that there would have been something irregular with my blood and the Dr. would have seen that, but I don't believe her. I know I should go to the Drs but I'm just so terrified. I hate this. I want to live a normal, anxiety, pain free life.

Thank you for reading.

Fingerz
04-05-09, 23:48
Hey, Sorry to hear your having a really bad time right now. Im just getting over it now and it wont be too long before you do either :D. I worried abnout brain tumours for ages thinking every little symptom was because of a tumour. Can i start off by saying that WebMd and Goggle are banned for you from now on! It is full of rubbish and will not tell you the truth.

Headaches are not a symptom of a brain tumour believe it or not. Seizures and severe visual problems are the signs you need to worry about which you dont have. If that doesnt reassure you my GP did a test on me which ruled out any significant brain tumour so I think you should try it. Close your eyes and put your arms out in front of you. With your eyes still closed touch the tip of your nose with your index fingers. If this goes horerbily wrong then see your doctor. If you can do it your fine :) All the other pains and aches you are feeling are most probably a mixture of anxiety and growing pains because of your age. Check out the symptoms of anxiety section on the left and I bet everything you have will be in there!

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions feel free to PM me :)

Take Care

Adam

lrforge
05-05-09, 02:43
I hear you there! I think all of us with anxiety think this at one time or another, because we fell...can stress and anxiety really do this? There has to be something else making me feel this way. I do agree with Fingerz, WebMD and google are terrible and should be banned! I FINALLY stopped googling, it was hard because you look for answers, but no matter what, the worst thing will be the first thing to pop up honey. Fingerz, I just have to mention this...reading your post, I can about promise you that every reader here will try that little test (I know I did-lol). Pandawanda...you are fine. You will be fine. If anything go to the dr and express your worries again, but you are young and healthy! You are doing a great job keeping yourself that way to. Don't worry honey, everything will be alright!:bighug1: