PDA

View Full Version : Hello

MJ
22-08-05, 20:32
Hello all, I came across this forum a week ago, and have been avidly reading the site and forums and find so much that relates to my own experiences, it really does help to know that I’m not alone and other people really do feel the way I do, it’s one thing to read a list of symptoms on a website/news article on panic attacks and anxiety disorder, but it’s quiet moving to actually read how people really feel when they experience it.

I thought I’d write a little about myself, I’m 23 years old and have been suffering from panic attacks since I was 14, this has since developed into what I’d call general anxiety disorder, that sometimes peaks into a full blown panic attack. I did have some therapy for it back when I was 15/16 however it seemed very little was known by my counsellor about panic attacks, apart from giving it a name, and doing some general relaxation exercises etc.
At the age of 19 or so I started to take control, and for the past 3 or so years I’ve really been on top of the panic attacks, whilst still experiencing brief periods of anxiety (I actually think I learned to cope, by dismissing all the physical symptoms I was getting as something else, like a cold.. the flu, not eating a good breakfast etc) this seemed to help me just dismiss the symptoms as trivial and ignore them. This has worked so long for me that I was surprised that a month ago the night before going on holiday I had a full blown panic attack (shivers, shaking like crazy, sweating, insane heart rate, de-realisation, very very quick thoughts, mind racing like mad) it finally passed after 2 or so hours when I was so worn out I fell asleep sitting up in the chair. Since this I have somewhat gone back to how I was years ago, starting to panic every time I go shopping, have friends over, go In a car etc. I have been thinking about going to the doctor and asking about some C.B.T, I want to avoid going down the medication route as I never needed/used it before and to be honest the thought of taking them scares me to death.
The only thing that I can think may have triggered this relapse would be a general increase in my stress levels at the moment, due to learning to drive (I used to have a phobia of even being in a car, let alone driving) and impending exams for my degree. I am hoping that once these are out of the way I will be able with the support of friends/family and these forums be able to overcome these attacks again and regain control of my life.

I think that’s about it for now, sorry to waffle on, but it does help putting into words my experiences, even if I’m now starting to feel panic just writing this post (strange eh).

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

-MJ

kairen
22-08-05, 20:40
Hi MJ

welcome to the site, you sound like you are having a very stressful time at the moment with exams and learning to drive so at least you can put your finger on what has triggered it off this time, and you know you got through it last time so you will be able to do it again, it will do no harm to go and see your gp, and have a chat with him/her it may even put your mind at rest,

glad you have found it a help on here it is a great site and you will get loads of help and support here

take care

kairen x

jill
22-08-05, 20:50
Hi MJ

WELCOME TO THE SITE.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Panic_er
22-08-05, 21:10
Welcome to the site I know exactly how you feel. Believe me you will get over it.

This is a great site full of helpful people and advice when you need it.

Take care

Panic_er

Meg
22-08-05, 21:12
Hello MJ

You coped before and learn to deal with them so you can again- even if they are truly terrifying now.

Look after yourself well and keep distracted and keep chnaging those thoughts

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

eeyorelover
22-08-05, 21:17
welcome MJ -
look forward to getting to know you :)
Sandy
eeyorelover

tammyg
22-08-05, 22:00
Welcome to the site. I am sure you will find the support you need to help deal with your anxiety.

Tam x

seh1980
22-08-05, 22:34
Welcome aboard!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Karen
22-08-05, 22:45
Hi MJ

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

smyliesangel
22-08-05, 23:57
hi and welcome this place is great all brilliant people you will feel at home here

sharon

~Mary~
23-08-05, 04:12
Hi MJ, I'm new here too and I'm hoping to get at least a little comfort from this site also. Im much younger but experiance so much of the same thing, including being afriad to drive (i dont even have a permit) So I hope you, me, and everyone else here will be ok someday.

~*~MaRy

in1peace
23-08-05, 05:07
Hi! Welcome MJ!
I'm new to this site too. Very, very happy to find it!
I didn't learn to drive until I was 21. You just made me realize that I've probably had this Anxiety Disorder longer than I realized. I think my fear of driving was a symptom I didn't recognize till now.
To tell you the truth, I'd be pretty darn panicky learning to drive in the UK, even if I weren't prone to panic/anxiety! LOL! What in the heck is up with those round-abouts?? YIKES!! Ha ha!
Good luck with the driving!
Best wishes,
Andrea

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

michelleann
23-08-05, 08:47
hi mj
it does sound like you are going through a stressful time at the moment and you are really brave learning to drive with you being afraid of going in a car, i dont like going in a car and no way would i ever be able to learn to drive so you have done really well.:D
read all the info on the site hun and pop into the chat room sometime! hope to see you there[8D]
take care
michelle xxx

pinkscrumpy
23-08-05, 10:21
Hi MJ

A big warm welcome to you [^][^]

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

Piglet
23-08-05, 15:11
Hi MJ,

A big welcome to you!

Love Piglet:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

sueiamnew
23-08-05, 18:17
Hi MJ and welcome to the site.

sueiamnew
23-08-05, 18:35
Hi MJ and welcome to the site.