PDA

View Full Version : Recurring Worry Thoughts

in1peace
23-08-05, 04:07
Hi Everyone!
I don't know if anyone has posted this tip yet or not.
I got this from "The Anxiety Cure" by Archibald Hart. He says that we anxiety types are very intelligent, so we are highly imaginative(don't you just want to love this guy already?? LOL!). It is for this reason that we start to fear things that other people have never imagined. It's because we are so intelligent (yes, thank you very much), we think ahead of people and come up with lots of scenarios. He also says that our brains get bored easily. This is a trick he passed along in his book and I am so excited to tell you that it is very effective:

When a recurring, highly troublesome worry is keeping you on edge, take 10 minutes to worry about it. Seriously! Keep your mind focused on the worry and DO NOT stop to think about it for exactly 10 minutes. Your imaginative brain will get bored with the thought, so your mind will keep wandering off the subject, but FORCE yourself to stay on that thought. After the 10 minutes, go back to letting your mind naturally wander. I've found that this works every time for me! :)[Wow!]

Have a good week!
Andrea

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

~Mary~
23-08-05, 04:22
Hey! Thats a different way of thinking about your worries! (I especially like the part about us being very intelligent.lol) I've heard the imaginative part before, Ive been told I was ever since I was little. haha But anyway, thanks for the tip, I'll try that soon, at least with the little worries. :D Thanks doll!

~*~MaRy

in1peace
23-08-05, 05:17
You're welcome Mary!
What imaginative things did you do when you were a kid?
True story:

I was given an entrance exam for kindergarten. I was asked to name the animals pictured on the test in front of me. I named them. Harry, Fred, Jane, Peter, Frank, etc.... (Duh.. why didn't she ask me to tell her what KIND of animals they were??) Can you believe she failed me?? LOL!!

I was one of those kids who invented a playmate. I had 3 imaginary friends.

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

~Mary~
23-08-05, 05:24
Haha! I had imaginary playmates myself, Andrea. Different ones all the time tho. From runaway princesess to elves living under the apple tree in my backyard. haha! crazy, huh? and im also a bit of an artist. :D and beyond obsessed with moviea and everything about them. so im often being told I have an artist's temper and an overactive imagination due to avid movie watching. [^] So yeah, the over active imagination definitely comes into play with my anxiety and over-anylizing everthing!

~*~MaRy

eeyorelover
23-08-05, 05:34
thnx for the tip :)
I'll definitely give it a try.
Sandy
eeyorelover

in1peace
23-08-05, 05:40
ha ha ha! Mary, I thought I was the only one who had multiple imaginary friends! LOL!!
I think I would have liked the elves. [8D]
I think my friends were more like protective friends. 2 men and an older, grandmotherly friend.

Maddieg
23-08-05, 11:47
Hi all

I love the idea of us anxious types being intelligent...it's so true lol!

I'm an only child and i had imaginary friends too. I also used to get my mum to talk to them, one of them was Donny Osmond (yep i'm very sad!) and i used to get my mum to make him breakfast and i was convinced that i was going to marry him...

I also used to get anxious at bedtime seeing all sorts of people in my room and wardrobe and i have school reports that ALL say what a good imagination i have. When i was small it seemed a good thing...now im not too sure.

I'm flying to Dublin next week to go to a concert but i'm convinced that the plane will crash. No-one understands that its not just a vague worry but i am actually convinced that this will happen...its really taking the pleasure of the concert away:(

I'll try the tip u posted Andrea, thanks.

Love Maddie x

in1peace
23-08-05, 17:47
Hi Maddie!
Did you wear purple socks too? LOL! That is sooo cute!! I had a crush on Donnie Osmond too. And BJ from BJ and the Bear. I swore I was going to marry BJ. LOL!
I have never been afraid to fly before, but since my panic attacks started it is the one thing I can't imagine doing. I've read that you should just continue doing whatever you planned on doing even if you are in the middle of a panic (besides operating a vehicle). Otherwise, the phobia will worsen. I don't know of any other advice on that, but I hope that you find something that works for you and come back to tell us about it. Do you have a friend or family member flying with you?
Thinking of you,
Andrea

in1peace
30-08-05, 19:51
Here's a link to Ediets.com. There was a good article on this topic today.
http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm/cmi_1377340/cid_7/code_24044/

LisaS
02-10-05, 17:19
thanks for your useful info Andrea,

i too love the intelligent part!!! maybe i should wear my glasses more as hubby tells me i look more intelligent! ha ha!
i can't say i had imaginary friends but (dont laugh) I did used to look for the wombles on wimbledon common!!

take care,
lisa
xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

in1peace
03-10-05, 04:18
He he he he! eh?.. I don't even know what a womble is Lisa! LOL!
You should post your 'Smart Lisa' pic at NMP. :D[8D]

Meg
03-10-05, 09:16
http://womble.designwest.com/womble_intro.html

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

pips
03-10-05, 13:08
Great tip thanks for that.

Take Care,

Love PIP'S X X X X

in1peace
03-10-05, 17:42
You're welcome Pips!
Meg,
LOL!! Thanks for that!! Looks like I've got some reading to do! And I know 3 little people who would love to learn about the wombles too! (no,Not my imaginary friends.. LOL!)

desperate
03-10-05, 19:28
good tip!!

i wish i was thick sometimes!! lol

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!