PDA

View Full Version : CBT

solly
06-05-09, 20:44
Hi

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting some CBT (regarding being convinced I have MS -just posted a thread on MRI section)? Do you have to go through a GP? If so, how long do you have to wait for it, is there any drugs you can take for helping these crazy feelings??

Thanks
Solly

x

solly
06-05-09, 20:45
Sorry also, how many sessions is normally needed? Or is that a 'how long is a piece of string' question? lol

Utility
06-05-09, 21:12
Hi

Best to go through your GP. It can take a wee while before it starts but your GP may be able to convince you that you don't have MS before that.

lauren6
06-05-09, 22:41
Hi Solly, although the literature says that cognitive therapy is generally short term, your string analogy is more on the money :-) It really depends on the skill of the therapist, the individual's circumstances, the resistance of the patient (even though we want to get well, this is what we know and in a strange way, are comfortable with...it's familiar). So many factors so a timeline is impossible to give but you have to start somewhere. Having been to quite a few therapists in my lifetime, I tell people that if you don't get good vibes of qualification after a couple of sessions, don't be intimidated by them, look for someone who you feel right with. In the meantime, get a hold of some health anxiety books. Personally, they helped me more than any therapist. I just have not found a good one even in my large city.