PDA

View Full Version : Why does this happen?

aliceinwonderland
07-05-09, 11:59
Hi, I'm a new member.:)

I've suffered from general anxiety on and off for most of my life, with occasional panic attacks. This has led to bouts of depression, though thankfully I've been mainly OK(ish) for the last few years.

What I seem to have developed now though is a type of social phobia, I guess. Basically, for the last couple of years I've begun to panic in certain social situations, but not all. I'm OK over the phone, and mostly OK doing things like talking to other parents at the school gates, when it's just chit chat.

But the problem seems to come when I know I've got to do the talking for any length of time, so it happens if someone asks me a question that requires a longish answer. What happens is I start to panic, my throat closes up and my mind completely shuts down and I go blank. It's horrible, and really embarassing. I sometimes make an excuse as to why I've stopped talking, like I'm having a dizzy spell.:blush: But what I really want to do in that situation is to run away.:weep:

I could cope with this, but... after many years as a mum and without a career to speak of, I finally did a degree in Art and now I'm doing a Master's degree. Because of this, I've been asked by an aquaintance to teach adults in a local college. I'd dearly love to do this, and feel it's my last chance for a meaningful career. But I'm terrified to say yes. I would die if I panicked in front of a class of people, or my mind went blank. I'd feel I let everyone down, and my chance of a career would be over. My husband thinks I'd be mad to turn it down, but he doesn't understand the extent of my problem.

And the worse thing is I have to make a decision soon! Help!

(sorry about such a long post, by the way!)

mick_uk
07-05-09, 12:23
Oh you have to go for it alice :D
I know it's an easy thing to say and I do understand what you are going through, but how about making a joke of it to the class and telling them that you are more nervous of this than they are,and getting them on your side from the start. Worse case scenario, it doesn't work out, but you tried and went for it. Best case scenario, all the people you will have helped including yourself.
Keep the talking equally divided up so you don't have to make long speeches, and if you feel some anxiety coming on, pause and ask for their thoughts on what you have just said.
I'm sure you will be fine.

PS: a quote from Alice In Wonderland
Alice falls down the rabbit hole and her dress poofs up like a parachute.
Alice says "Well, after this I should think nothing of falling down stairs.”

take care

mick

aliceinwonderland
07-05-09, 18:42
Thanks, Mick. I know you're right, but it's scaring me so much it makes me feel sick, sometimes.

I'm wondering if hypnotherapy might help - anyone experienced this? Did it help?

Oh, and great quote, Mick.:D

Carefree
08-05-09, 17:39
Hi Alice, I tried hypnotherapy and didn't get anywhere with it. Bit of a waste of money, I think many practitioners cash in on what's a relatively easy profession to get into.

I think after the initial shock of standing in front of a class of adults you'll settle in as it becomes more familiar. Even lecturers at uni admit that they've petrified of a new class. The reality of being a student is that you're spending so much time trying to absorb new material I really doubt they'll throw more than a thought your way if they think you're stressed - which is very normal, many of my lecturers were stressed out, didn't make them any less of a good teacher.

Practically, if I were you - I'd go out and face anything that makes me anxious head on before meeting the classroom. The more fears you face beforehand, the less chance of stagefright you'll experience.

On a plus note - you'll play this whole thing up to be a big nightmare, than no matter what happens, you can only end up being relieved that it wasn't so bad. Mark my words :yesyes: