PDA

View Full Version : sun glasses

rossi
07-05-09, 15:33
i have dveloped this habbit with having to wear my sun glasses most of the day its like when i have them on i feel not panicky even indoors im wearing them.it dose not take the aniexty away but some how feel better with them on eeven when its not sunny.

Dinkysdouble
08-05-09, 09:42
Hi,

Sunglasses are a very useful prop with anxiety/agoraphobia :D

I find the glare of the sun and in winter snow (much worse for me) makes me feel panicky especially when driving. You will never see me without them, usually on top of my head ready to lower if panicky. Supermarket lights are dazzling for me, can't go in one without my glasses on :)

I read about props years ago before we had this wonderful internet to share our fears, the library was the only source of help back then, and boy did I read every book I could, including the fabulous Claire Weekes's ones, who in my opinion has it down to a tee.

Another prop from a very early book was umbrella, never tried that though, wont fit in the car,:roflmao: because I hardly ever walk anywhere, drive in my little house on wheels.

So, you are not alone, If I forget them, I am much worse when out, and I have now started putting a spare pair in the glove compartment of car - I bet many others use sunglasses to shield out glare too.

Take care and all the best

Chris

rossi
08-05-09, 10:08
thanks for reply. sounds like me

Dinkysdouble
08-05-09, 11:07
It's raining and overcast today here in Kent.
My kind of weather, :yesyes: but I will still wear sunglasses for driving :shades:

I once read about a man who could only go out with a plastic dome, like a spacemans headgear on. He felt safe in his own little bubble, bit like me and my car, so at least we are accepted as "normal" when in supermarkets etc with our sunglasses, poor guy :ohmy:

All the best

Chris

lorac
08-05-09, 13:25
I love my sunglasses and yes I know what you mean about making you feel better when you are wearing them. Everything being too bright is one of the things that set my panic off so they are a really useful prop to me.

Chris I have to agree Claire Weeks does have anxiety and panic down to a tee.

Carol

ElizabethJane
08-05-09, 16:00
I used to wear my sunglasses all the time too. They are much better to hide behind. I wear them on the tube then you dont have to make eye contact with anybody. It used to drive my husband mad when I wore them in the car but they are definitely useful for glare and associated problems with hayfever.I do less hiding these days but they were always useful if you have been crying etc.