PDA

View Full Version : Coming off Cipralex

Trixie
07-05-09, 19:06
I want to try and reduce the dosage from 15mg to zero. I was put on them originally because I was getting anxiety attacks centred on my eldest Siamese cat. The problem is I have put on all the weight I lost (3 stone) and I am really cross about it. I am on Xenical and hoped to loose as much weight as I could just in case I needed to have an op all of a sudden on my BT.

I would reduce the dosage gradually and not stop abruptly. I thought it I was to come off them I might start to loose weight again.

alias_kev
09-05-09, 14:35
My guess is that the weight gain sometimes associated with Escitalopram comes from three factors: it may affect appetite, it can interfere with your sugar cycle encouraging you to eat more, if it works happy people sometimes eat more. So even if you come off it completely you may find that it takes other changes by you to stabilise or reduce your weight. ie. Eat a bit less, eat healthily, exercise more. Those three are the secret to weight loss - wish I could manage them myself. :)

In terms of reducing the dosage, Escitalopram says to taper off. The manufacturer seems to lean towards taking each lower dose for atleast 4 days. Only reducing again ONCE you are happy with the side effects from the withdrawal and the reduced effect of the medication. A lot depends on how long you have taken it and how sensitive your body is.

Assuming you have the 5mg pills it should practical to go 10mg, 5mg, 0. Some versions can be split allowing 12.5mg, 7.5mg and 2.5mg steps on the way down too - which would be even better. Always take it daily though.

kat_x
20-05-09, 22:20
i put on 3stone+ whilst on escitalopram in one yr, i went from a size 10(british size) to bordering size 18. i was on 20mg per day and to be perfectly honest they didn't even work for me, infact made me worse and sick every day.

I was doing a 40min walk (very uphill) each day to see to my horse and walking back home. I was eating sensibly, infact when i realised i was putting on weight i tried to cut back on calories and eat a balanced diet.

My dad told me that i looked like a balloon that could be popped i was so bloated. To cut a long story short, it wasnt my lifestyle causing the weight gain it was the escitalopram. I came off them after 2 yrs and over the course of the next 18 months the weight slowly came off naturally.

I'm not back to my original weight but have lost almost 3stone, i'm back to a normal healthy weight and size 12 clothing.

Just thought i'd share my experience with you, and if you can ditch the medication (obviously in a supervised way) i am sure you will see a slow but sure weight loss.

Hope this helps...good luck...kat...xxx