PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else do this

paul
02-01-04, 13:11
hello,ive posted a few messages on this forum already but theres something i do and i was wondering if anyone else does it.when i get anxious i tend to hit things,like walls and tables, and myself.i dont do it so too hard so i end up breaking my knuckles ,but enough so it hurts.the other day i kept punching the side of my body and a bruise formed.im not a violent person at all,but its something that ive been doing for a few months.my concern is that ill end up perhaps cutting myself and going down that way.ive thought about it in the past,but never went through with it.can anyone relate to this?all the best,paul

Meg
02-01-04, 13:30
Paul,

It's your form of coping. Anger emerges, perhaps a old unresolved anger is at the root of your anxiety.
Self cutting is mainly when there are severe self esteem and rejection issues and feelings of unworth. It doesn't just happen , you make the choice.

It's totally fine to be angry and show it. It would be more productive and less painful if you got a punch bag or took up a martial art like Karate, or just instant exercise -sprinting- it's a quick burst of energy that needs to be used immediately.

Also recognising what's behind it and dealing with it .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Prettyface110
02-01-04, 14:04
Hi Paul,
Yes I've done this in the past too, and ended up with swollen knuckles and painful bruises. I haven't done it for ages though and even though I've thought about cutting and self-harm like you, I've never done it as I think as Meg said it's a totally different issue. I do it out of frustration and impatience with myself and the fact that I feel out of control of my own body. I suppose it's a way of regaining that control and establishing the fact that my body IS responding in a totally natural way (by feeling physical pain, swelling and bruising etc.) It sometimes feels so alien?
I think Megs idea of getting a punchbag or something is brilliant - that way you'll still be able to take out your frustration physically when you need to but without hurting yourself or others, or making holes in doors, walls etc. and running up huge DIY bills!!! LOL
Take care of yourself.

much luv,
prettyface110 (Ally)

paul
03-01-04, 02:06
hello radar and ally,i think youve both brought up some good points.for me i think it is to feel human,and by its natural response when hitting things.it most probably is an anger reaction,a way of trying to deal with it.it would be beneficial to try and channel it more positively,maybe try and clean things instead(good point about the diy cost lol).its just when im anxious its trying to keep at least a bit rational.ive had anxiety problems for about 7 years now,so i would have thought i might have learned to deal with it a bit better by now.thats including the things i learned from past therapy treatments,but as i already know its what i commit to myself in dealing with it.it definately helps to disscuss with people who can relate to it and offer help.thanks for the advice [^] paul

Samantha
03-01-04, 11:53
Paul i understand how u feel, i tend to slam doors though or kik things, i feel the anger and then the anxiety comes, n evrything that i hav been angry about but not resolved wants to come out. The ony thing stoppin me from cuttin meself is i dont want scars on my arms although i came close, n how culd i hide d blood

Sumtimes i go 2 skool n wish sum1 wuld just challenge me 2 a fite, i no its not the answer i have 2 grit my teeth n not say nething 2 ne1 until ive pushed it so far dwn inside where it wont cum out until d nxt time!

Wen i felt like this at skool i found that the best relief woz orienteering, insted of hurting myself i pushed and pushed myself to get round the trak, not stop keep goin, i ended up hurting my knee n makin it worse but even wen i felt the pain i woz like, i deserve that, i find running or cycling or even playin hockey helps me release this, its as though wen im running it cant stay wiv me. r u a member of a gym?
I want 2 releas this anger/anxiety but cant coz wen it does cum out it will cum out wiv a bang n mite upset a few ppl. Megs rite exercise is a really great way of dealing wiv it!

Sam