PDA

View Full Version : i've finally taken the first step

robelros
07-05-09, 20:11
to try and help myself get better from the grip that this hypochondriasis has had on me for the last few years - i've made an appointment with a counselor! i can't believe it has taken me this long... and i know realistically it isn't a miracle cure but i have to believe that it will at least help me. lord knows i can use it!

have any of you received counseling (i hear lots of talk of cognitive-behavioral therapy), was it "succcessful", and do you have any advice for a first-timer?? i am a little nervous.

thank you!

james1234
07-05-09, 20:59
hi i had cbt and it was helpful i had not been out of my home town for about four years and with the helpwith cbt i have made it out a few times they talkto you about different ways of working thoughts it is not a cure for me but it was a big help here is one you can work on at home have a chat to your gp i think it is called beting the blues

LucyA
07-05-09, 21:08
Oh I know that feeling - I put off getting counseling for a good two to three years without even really realising. You say it's not a miracle cure, but for me it was part of one. Okay, I'm not completely rid of anxiety but I'm almost there. I had counseling for emetophobia (fear of being sick) and coupled with a diagnosis of a stomach infection, my life has changed in 4 months.

I'm not sure I can give you any advice as I think each person and counselor is different. For me it felt very personal and almost as if we'd built our little counseling room especially for us, rather than it being there for her to work in. Don't have any expectations - the 'laying on a leather couch while the counselor scribbles on a notepad' is just a stereotype, but then again it could be that way. The great thing is that you are there to feel comfortable and they will make you feel that way. The second I mentioned emetophobia my counselor showed me where the toilet was, where I could get fresh air, that I could tell her to leave the room and she wouldn't care etc. etc. There are no formalities.

Are you having CBT? I think most counselors are trained to do CBT and mine said if I wanted it to just ask. I didn't, though as I felt just talking helped. If you're worried about what you'll talk about then don't - they are trained to ease you into conversation and time will be up before you know it. Mine did this by just asking questions, like 'how has your week been?' and then 'you said you were worried about going to the pub last week. How did that go?' etc.

I really hope this works well for you. I know for some people it doesn't, as everyone responds differently to different treatments, but stay positive about it. Good luck! xx

honeybee3939
07-05-09, 21:43
Hi Rob

Just wanted to say WELL DONE hun for taking the first step to help in your recovery !! Its a step forward in the right direction ! Hope it all goes well.:)
:hugs:
Andrea
xxx

amandaj
07-05-09, 21:44
i go to councelling and though im not sure its doing much shes such a lovely person its worth it just to talk to someone good luck

robelros
08-05-09, 02:08
thank you everyone! i really am hopeful because i've come to realize that i just don't want to keep living like this. it is SO exhausting and terrifying and i hate hate hate hate it. it's so hard when there are such happy things going on in your life and you find that you can't even really enjoy them because deep down you are just petrified and stressed. well i don't need to explain further, you guys all know how it is. it is great to hear that some of you have done this and that it seems to have helped some. i am a little nervous to sit down with someone i've never met and tell her things that i've never even told my closest friends... but i know that it is something i need to at least try.

i will keep everyone posted on how it goes!