PDA

View Full Version : Possible cause of nausea

LucyA
07-05-09, 21:26
Hi Everyone,

I really don't wish to be shouting around about what's happened to me, but if I can possibly prevent it from happening to someone else I'll do all I can!

I've had emetophobia for over 12 years. I put this down to feeling sick a majority of the time and when I was a child, not realising that was abnormal. Basically I've been going to the same doctor about it for YEARS and only upon going to a different doctor have I actually found out what's wrong. I had a blood test which confirmed I have an H.Pylori infection - the same bacteria that causes stomach ulcers.

50% of the population carry the H.Pylori virus, but for the majority it's actually quite healthy. 1 in 10 people, however, will have symptoms and that's when it can lead to peptic ulcers. I used to get bloated after only eating small amounts, feel nauseous most of the time, heartburn, frequent diarrhea and anxiety because of it all.

It turns out I'm also wheat intolerant and cutting that out of my diet has helped immensely. I highly recommend talking to your doctor about H.Pylori if you have the same symptoms as me, and if you do have it I recommend taking the natural treatment route (mastic gum tablets, eating lots of broccoli, cranberry juice, nettle tea and manuka honey). The course of antibiotics to get rid of H.Pylori is horrendous, especially for an emetophobic (4 days in I was having 1 hour sleep a night because I felt so sick). 3 weeks on and I'm still taking probiotics. The diarrhea gave me piles and I've just got rid of thrush...urgh!

Anyway, enough of that. Basically I've gone through the motions of giving up dairy foods, being agoraphobic, not eating at all, thinking I've got IBS, thinking it's just anxiety etc. etc. and I want you all to know how common this is, yet some doctors don't consider it. This crap cost me my University degree; I don't want anyone to go through it too!!

xx